• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

new rack

Reaction score
Time for a shakedown ! I'm not happy with the bowline, I think at 70mph it's going to sound like a bad banjo.

Attachments

• photo11484.jpg
    photo11484.jpg
    845.2 KB · Views: 1
is the bow line going over the hood? What I didi and what a lot of other here do is run webbing loops from one of the fender holes under the hood, that way the rope is going at tan angle, it's shorter, you can still open your hood at leas part ways, shorter rope means less stretch when they get wet.....

I have never, over the course of a dozen+ boat toting vehicles, had a bow line to bumper, or even diagonally vee’ed lines to under-hood tiedowns, make any noticeable noise.

Likewise I have never had traverse belly lines sing. That said, always lines. Ropes not straps. Even with an anti-harmonic thrum half twist webbing can sing a bit with the right aerodynamics and speed. The lines are low-stretch, start as tight as I dare with a trucker’s hitch, and get checked/tightened if necessary every time I stop for gas; there isn’t a lot of slack to vibrate thrum.

Maybe I’ve just been vehicle-lucky; including 3 trucks, 3 vans, two small SUV’s and a couple or five sedans, but I have yet to have a roof rack itself make an iota of whistle or thrum.

I am an auditory driver, I have to have my window open at least a crack so I can hear what’s going on around me. Worst drive I ever endured was with Wenonah’s rattleclanky aluminum plate adjustable seat hangers, positioned on the van just behind the driver’s seat. Arrrggghhhh, 100 miles of that was all I could stand.

I wedged a bunch of rags (including, IIRC, my socks) in between the rattling seat and hull edge. That helped a lot, and when we got home I wedged & glued a piece of minicel in there.

Rack, strap, line or boat noise would drive me bat crap behind the wheel.

Back