• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

New National Monument in Maine

My main wilderness haunt is the BWCA and they allow hunting there based on MN hunting laws. One thing not allowed when they say no mechanized travel is portage wheels for your canoe. Probably why the w/c canoes are not overly popular in the BWCA.

It will be interesting to see how the area will be managed as, according to the BLM, each monument is unique as to rules and regulations. Outfitters and guides, however, will be required to be permitted by the BLM.
Dave

I have no idea where the notion that a new National Monument has to be a solid uniform wilderness. And that portage aids are universally disallowed
I suspect blocks of land in the new area will be designated wilderness. Near my home are some wilderness areas..they have to be 1/4 miles from a road but they are not huge Caribou Speckled near me is 14000 acres, ringed by roads.

Portage Carts are allowed in the Allagash WIlderness Waterway

Here is a map of the new National Monument. Note road access. None of the roads are probably suitable for a car..but OK for a truck
https://www.nps.gov/kaww/planyourvisit/maps.htm

I have no idea where the notion that a new National Monument has to be a solid uniform wilderness.
I don't think anyone here has said that. I also wonder if there's not some misunderstanding about wilderness as an environment vs. Wilderness as a political designation.

I may have percipitated the "wilderness" part of this thread, by using the words "designated wilderness". I was using it in the political sense and somewhat tongue in cheek. My thoughts were similar to Sweeper's. If you compare the Allagash Waterway to Baxter Park you quickly see one - the Allagash allows a much less restrictive usage whereas Baxter more closely resembles the more restrictive model, yet both are State of Maine managed. I personally would have preffered that the donated land be National Forest rather than National Monument. I think the local residents would have been more receptive to that also.
My land is bordered on two sides by National forest and can say they are good neighbors that allow most forms of recreation as well as selective logging.
Dave

Back