• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

New National Monument in Maine

Me too!! I have never been to Maine, but it is on the ole bucket list. Like much of the land that gets tied up, people fight over it for generations, but in the long run it is the thing to do. Knowing that it is there, that it is going back to the wild is always a good thing, in my mind. I knew there was something about Burt's Bees that I liked, what a good use of the profits.
............BB

Um. It is wild but the issue is of working forest. That's what the economy is based on but the problem is there is less call for forestry products. Old beliefs die hard and some still look for the return of the mills. Also thee is a fear of other traditional uses being restricted
It's just the beginning of the story. I'd hate to see fish and hunt camps being given the boot

Yup. But from what I've read they're working to resolve at least some of these issues and try to find a compromise where everyone is happy. Not, of course, that that is even remotely possible. :) OTOH, when I lived out west in the early 80s range land was basically open to everyone. Just close the gates that were closed and all is well. Nowadays, from what I hear, if you go on range land its not unusual to see a helicopter very shortly followed by folks on 4-wheelers who are more than happy to show you off the property. That could easily have been the fate here as well. I would hope the locals can see that.

In my lifetime (70 yrs) the East Branch Penobscot and adjacent woodlands have always been open for recreation. My concern is the over-regulation that comes with "designated wilderness". You sure can't run the Grand Canyon anytime you feel like it!
Dave

In my lifetime (70 yrs) the East Branch Penobscot and adjacent woodlands have always been open for recreation. My concern is the over-regulation that comes with "designated wilderness". You sure can't run the Grand Canyon anytime you feel like it!
Dave
I don't think that Federal control leads to overregulated rivers. The Grand Canyon does require permits which are limited. But you can run the Current( Ozark National Riverways), Buffalo and Green Rivers anytime and they are under federal control at least in part. The Buffalo almost wholly and the Green through Canyonlands ( the rest is BLM)

My belief is that shoreland use is the most regulated. Pig farms are a big threat in the Ozarks.

And not to start an argument but rather a spirited discussion I hate to see Maine woods go to the wealthy to do as they wish. Kingdom estates are an anathema to me.

I don't know either way, but it's a very generous act by a private citizen. I just don't know one way or the other, time will tell.

The Grand Canyon isn't a designated Wilderness as far as I know. So perhaps not the best example. And I don't see anything in the reports about new Wilderness in Maine regardless.

Anytime a wealthy individual wants to gift wild land in perpetuity as a wanderland for the rest of us is ok by me. What would we do if it wasn't for Percival Baxter or the folks that created the adirondack preserve. All those who labored to create park systems for us to enjoy , I feel lifelong gratitude. There could be subdivision and parking lots there now.

Last edited:
They used a canoe in the White House video of this event, so they must be looking for our support here at Canoetripping.net. I read where some bear hunting will be ended, baiting, using dogs to. As far as deer and moose hunting there is no news, but the property belonged to the donor and she could have stopped all access for the foreseeable future anyway, so I'm ok with this new "Monument"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FSovx0vxLg

Better a rich Liberal donating land to the public than a rich Republican (or foreign corporation) ripping the heart out of the land for 25 years of resources whilst paying little or no tax then pulling a smoke and mirrors bankruptcy act, leaving a legacy of unemployment plus ponds of toxic waste or network of roads and seismic lines that fragment what's left of the wildlife habitat.

Congratulations to Obama.

Oh my are we on a slippery political slope? And bear baiting is the way its always been done here. Safer than shooting at what could be a bear through the leaves( bear is either now or next week). And bruin is smart. They don't all fall for donuts.
I don't want to reenter the sportsmans vs HSUS battle again.. It was voted on two years ago.

It might be interesting to some to read up on the whole Bert's Bees/Quimby thing, and how the land purchase issue was handled by Ms.Quimby as regards camp lease holders and owners etc..

It's not wilderness in that sense
Neither is the Allsgash. That has a 250 yard wide beauty strip. Behind there are logging roads.

Snowmobiles will be permitted and hunting in some areas

I hope you can come to my stomping grounds. It's better than Wikipedia!

Back