• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

New IT Guy, Nonstick

Reaction score
I see Nonstick has been busy googling "anything canoe related" to get his feet wet here in the open canoe world. The gear list was good, the recipe book was, well, like last weeks ham salad...ha

Well, he knows websites, he knows vBulletin and he has some good ideas and a real positive attitude. Hopefully we can get the present issues fixed and make some improvements along the way.

I'll do my best, boss ;)

IN ADVANCE.... this isn't my first go-around with webby stuff. Surely not with vBulletin and the issues that arise. I'm not going to be everybody's favorite friend here at one point or another. But, I _DO_ listen. I try not to take away from the family feel and vibe of a place. Change creates a stir, though. Even when it's small, somebody's going to gripe. I get it, I get it. If it helps, I am a member at another vbulletin site where the traffic is 150,000 posts, 16,000 threads and 7500 members and even we are considered small at times. Yes, I am aware of the options that can be had in vBulletin and the style which surrounds. It's safe to say that you guys have HUGE potential without losing any of the flavor you surrently have.

The good part is, there's more behind the scenes work that you guys will never see or even know. So it's a non issue. At this point, I'm doing this from the heart because I'm meeting some new people and drawing on a new experience of the mighty canoe. It's worth something to me, so I consider it fair trade to at least give some gratis to the easy things. It ain't always about money, folks.

Let's uh..... let's NEVER speak of that recipe book again, shall we? In the meantime, by all means list out gripes and site issues. I don't know if ya don't say anything. A good example is the picture post thread. While I don't see any issues with it, some people may need a walk-through about how to post pictures. What hosting is, etc and so on. I'll write up a tutorial how to do that for the layman and maybe a spot of education will help. Let's face it, some things are confusing. You guys may know that a certain type of paddle is best for what I do. Me? I'm like a babe in the woods and just need a pointer in the right direction due to not being savvy. Same same.

Other than that? I'm a car guy at heart. Love me some muscle cars. I went to school to be a chef, but now I'm a chemist ( it's a long story ). A nice way to say what I do for my bread and butter is "You know that guy that invented the way to put teflon on a fry pan? Yeah, like that". I work mainly in medical and aerospace and I am very proud to say my name is on medical patents that help a LOT of people who have breast,ovarian and cervical cancer. My military and aerospace is TOTALLY in defense. My coatings and solutions have helped our young men and women out there know when a landmine is buried or incoming from an insurgent is about to happen. I'm the son of an airborne ranger who drove a truck and a secretary strong enough to whip the butt of a truckdriving airborne ranger ( I survived Vietmom, is a safe assumption. Oye, tough woman). I have a son who's in the tough teen years and of course he knows everything. I believe good neighbors make good fences and one should never be afraid to do the right thing, even if it means one stands alone to do it at times. Other than that? Just ask. :)

Good to meet you all.

P.S. I make a lot of typo's. Darn near a hidden talent as to how I brutalize some words,lol. Apologies in advance

Last edited:
Great to have you on board! I was associating "non-stick" with being an IT guy, cause those poor dudes take a lot of flack, almost need to be teflon coated to survive the inter web warriors.

I was going to call you Mr. Teflon but thought better of it. :)

Hm, my dad worked with teflon back in the '60s. Good stuff.

Anyway, welcome. Please let us know how we can help.

And yes, there is a connection between chefistry and chemistry.

Actually, I like the cook book, in a sorta quirky olde world kinda way. For example; there's a part explaining how to fill tins with cooked meats, and then solder them shut. Why? To put under the floor boards of your boat (ha!) to be used as ballast. Ballast! When the crew gets hungry, after exhausting the food supplies, go ahead and feed them the secret stash of your boat ballast. :p Boat ballast rations!
It's nice to hear you're on the job Nonstick. Don't worry about the typos. Just call it flair.

In my defense, the cookbook thing was unique and I don't know any better. That's my story and I'm sticking to it, lol.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Usually anybody making "changes" gets the short end of the stick, but I think you folks will see it's all refinement and for the greater good. Just remember, I take my orders from a higher authority here. I just slap buttons and check boxes is all.

Chefistry..... 2 points for you, my friend. Well played.

In my defense, the cookbook thing was unique and I don't know any better. That's my story and I'm sticking to it, lol.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Usually anybody making "changes" gets the short end of the stick, but I think you folks will see it's all refinement and for the greater good. Just remember, I take my orders from a higher authority here. I just slap buttons and check boxes is all.

Chefistry..... 2 points for you, my friend. Well played.

Thanks, but I can't claim credit. An old friend was a chefist - a chemist who was also a great cook.

Having built a couple of websites myself, I'd say you do just a wee bit more than "slap buttons and check boxes."

Having built a couple of websites myself, I'd say you do just a wee bit more than "slap buttons and check boxes."

shhhh, if I look too smart then I can be held responsible when people want to complain. Stop pulling the curtains away and let the mighty Oz have his privacy, lol.

Most of my work is done in wordpress if that helps, Gavia. Footer code.... universal bane of 2am anguish, is it not? :p

Re functionality, there are only two things I'd like to see added to the site. One is the ability to upload photos NOT from a hosting site (which is not going to happen due to cost and bandwidth, but I still want it anyway). The other is a "thanks" button... Aside from that, I'm happy with how it all works.

the ability to upload photos NOT from a hosting site (which is not going to happen due to cost and bandwidth, but I still want it anyway).

You can do that already. See the little picture frame in the toolbar here? It's next to the globe with the red X. Click it. If yuou have a photo on your computer, you can click select files and then click the picture ( I keep them on my desktop when I post one. Easier to find). Select upload files and it does it for you. It will look like this.....

Bear Avatar.jpg

You can also find something on the internet if you like. Copy and paste the link in the same picture frame window box. Just select "from URL". Paste the link in that box. It will then look like this..... ( unclick the box that says retrieve remote file and reference locally if you'd like. It only means that the web page will link to this page and vice versa. It helps web page owners share and track traffic. A good thing most times. Unless you are an uppity "this is ALL MINE" type of website owner).

funny-bear-picture.jpg

help any? I can make a better step by step tutorial if you want or if anybody can't get the hang of it.

I personally would be happy to keep the site small and distinguished. It is more about quality than quantity.

agreed... but thisnk about it this way. This hobby needs to be shared, right? You want to see the youth capture and bring forward what you know. Teach them. Share good resources and make good friends who have same interests. That can only happen if the word spreads a bit. Growth and change don't always equate to bad. If anything, YOU guys control the flavor of this place. Be good, get good. Simple rules. People who are snarky quickly learn they have no place and go away.

Last edited:
You can do that already. See the little picture frame in the toolbar here? It's next to the globe with the red X.

Nope, don't see it. Didn't see that video icon thingy you referenced in the "canoe safety" thread either.

Wait a sec ... you're referring to the text editing pane, not the reading pane. I still don't see the video thingy, but now it makes sense.

screen snip.jpg

on this thread ( for some reason. I will figure out why soon enough) the video icon is not present. You can always force it by a process called wrapping text, but that will just add confusion right now. We'll focus on that another time. I'm just talking about adding a picture.

Go ahead and use this thread to experiment. Do you see the picture frame that I am pointing to, now? I called it picture thingy only because that's all I've ever called it ( simple work for me ). I click that and add my picture. RARELY do I wrap code around anything or get complicated. Go ahead, give it a try. Nothing can harm this thread and we can all use a little practice.

After you do a few, try the go advanced button. Above it is a paperclip over a piece of paper. Click it. WHOA.... neat, huh?

Have fun with it. Explore.

And yes, text edit. Some call it toolbar. I'm just trying ( not intentionally dumbing down or with intent to offend, I assure you) to make it simple for those that are doing this for the first time. Everybody needs a starting point. I've been more on the side of the fence to hang back and not say anything out of fear of sounding dumb than not. Especially with this stuff.

Last edited:
My number one thing is getting the notifications working - so I get an e mail when I thread I have been posting to is active.

I personally would be happy to keep the site small and distinguished. It is more about quality than quantity.

Me too, but what to do, block off any new membership? We have gone from 150 to 400 in a little over a year, 4-5 new members a week, and I have learned that if you don't keep on top of the site with updates and protection, it's only a matter of time before it's gone.
Some changes will come, but all for the good of the site.
Security and a well running site is our job.
Interesting posts and pictures are your job. It's been going well so far, a few bumps, but for the most part a good ride, hopefully we can grow without changing the friendliness and camaraderie.

Thanks Nonstick. I'm grateful for your techie tutorials. They'll be a big help for me.
I follow along with the small and personable forum preference; but understand that this "forum feel" might attract others...lots of others. In fishing terms, others are discovering this "honey hole". I'm optimistic the same good people with good intentions, will keep this forum a feel good place.

TESTING, TESTING ...
Can I upload a photo?

Gavia.jpg

OMG, looky there! It worked!

(Bowing in the direction of the great master Teflon Man himself) Thanks!

I still don't see no video thangy, but that's OK.

No mastery. It was right there all along. I just pointed at it, is all. Again, I have no clue why the video thingy is not there in this thread but in others. I plan to do a little behind the scenes digging today to see what's up. It's things like this that I look at when viewing a website. I want to come in as normal as can be and see what everybody else does so I know where and what to look for. It does me no good to have full access as I can see everything from that angle and it all looks fine.

RE : site flavor. It's much ado about nothing. http://www.moparstyle.com/ .... this is the car site I frequent and have been for years ( I was one of the first 100 members ). If you scroll down, you can see we have around 7500 members and the post count is pretty stout. Take a look through things. It's not all scrambled eggs mixed in with the home fries. It's had the same flavor all along. That's in large part because we as a group accepted people like us and just ignored any of the rabble rousers. Let's face it.... the canoe crowd isn't exactly known for lunacy and nonsense. It's safe to assume that anybody even coming here to see what's going on will be of like mind. You folks REALLY have nothing to worry about.

"more of the same with improvements" is the mindset you should all really be thinking and counting on. Nothing happens overnight or without discussion first anyways. One doesn't eat an elephant in one bite after all ;)

Nonstick, I'd like it if you could add two buttons to each post, one for "Thanks" and another for "Like." I'd click on both of them for your last post.

Thanks

Dave

There is an option to do that, I believe. I'll put it on the list.

If it helps you folks, there is a "rate this thread" option at the top of the threads. If you rate/like them, it generally keeps them from getting lost in the mire when things get old. Could be a vendor or one of you that truly steps up to the plate. Advice that is invaluable. In our forums, a fellow member passed away WAY too early, so we all said our kind words, shared pictures and links, etc. Then we all rated it 5 stars. Then again, our threads kinda scroll away quickly due to larger membership. I liked when we all did it because nobody said anything. They just did it without talking about it. Lotta heart, those people.

Back