• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

New canoe, need some advice

Reaction score
Hi all,

So happy to have a canoe. I've wanted one for a few years, but finally took the plunge. It's a Wenohnah Fusion in royalex that I purchased used for a very fair price. The canoe will be used 80% of the time in local lakes to fish. I have other watercraft, but the canoe fits a perfect little niche for a lightweight simple platform.

Right now I am debating buying a paddle. I assume that I'll own both a double-blade and single-blade paddle but right now I need to purchase one. I'm willing to spend $200 on a double-blade and am considering a Bending Branches Solo Slice in 260 or 280. If I were to go with a single blade, I don't know quite where to begin.

Given the water levels here in Idaho (maxed out), getting a single-bladed paddle appeals to me since I'll likely spend my time near the shore, often in the trees, looking for bass with poppers. Seems like I could learn a fair bit of technique with the single blade and still enjoy some fishing. The double appeals to me because I have quite a bit of experience in kayaks - both whitewater and ocean. I'd be off and running with the double-blade in no time.

Anyone want to provide some guidance? Among the questions:

1. Will I want a 260 or a 280 paddle for the Fusion (I'm 6'0", 210lbs)
2. Can anyone recommend a traditional wood single blade for me (length, too, please)
3. Any comments on the Slice
4. Anything else?

Thanks a ton,
Adam

I love to fish out of a canoe and do it all the time. I think you will find a double blade to be a pain in the butt going between fishing and paddling, works ok to get you to and from your paddling spot but I mainly go and fish and always use a single blade, solo most of the time. The sanborncanoe.com boys make some beautiful handmade wood paddles and they have a sizing chart and instructions on their site. Might be a little biased since it's my son and nephew though.

If I were to buy a new paddle today, I would check out the Sanborn canoe paddles. They gave me a tour last fall and I was impressed. I live 3000+ miles away from Winona and am not related to anyone in that area, so I am not biased. The next time I pass through that part of Minnesota I will purchase one of their paddles. I am thinking I should have bought some beard oil while I was there too, but I was clean shaven at the time. I did buy one of their green tin cups which I use as my Offical water glass every day to wash down my medications. Which makes me feel woodsy instead of old and cranky.
A nice bunch of folks that work there.

\

Stowing a double blade can be a PITA when fishing.. Where to put it so as not to entangle the line?
I have no doubt the Sanborn paddles are fine but there are other small paddle makers out there like Fox Worx.
I have other friends who make paddles that aren't at your price point so we won't go there.

The 260 ought to work.. That canoe is more rec kayak shaped. Its quite wide as far as canoe solos go and is probably ergo plenty stable for fishing. I'd borrow someones single blade. You'll be looking for a 48-50 inch long paddle.

Thanks everyone!

Still haven't made a decision, yet. But I'm getting closer. I'm going to hold off on the double-blade for a bit.

Yellowcanoe, you mention a 48-50" paddle - but everything I am reading suggests a 56" or so given my 30" torso. Is this based on the fact that my canoe is more kayak like or something? I'm willing to spend $150 on a paddle, and am thinking about a BB Expedition Plus since it would be a good do-anything paddle.

Adam

Thanks everyone!

Still haven't made a decision, yet. But I'm getting closer. I'm going to hold off on the double-blade for a bit.

Yellowcanoe, you mention a 48-50" paddle - but everything I am reading suggests a 56" or so given my 30" torso. Is this based on the fact that my canoe is more kayak like or something? I'm willing to spend $150 on a paddle, and am thinking about a BB Expedition Plus since it would be a good do-anything paddle.

I thought the recommendation of 48-50" sounded short too until I looked up more information on the boat and it looked like the seat was very low. If that's the case I'd agree with something in that range. I don't think you need anything as robust or heavy as the BB Expedition Plus.

Alan

You're seated. Pretty low. Bent shaft.I personally know of no one who takes a 56 inch bent . I take a 54 kneeling and a 48.5 sitting low. 46 in my RapidFire which is more kayak like seating.

Bent shaft length for the same person is typically 4-7 inches less than straight.

Ahh, now I get it. Thanks. I didn't know you were talking about bent shafts!

-A

I am a new canoe owner (but have experience from scouts) as well. I LOVE it! I've only been out fishing twice on a local river, but have had success each time. I troll a top floater (Rapala broken back) and actively fish a bass set up, and have had luck pulling perch, bass, a 4lb Pike, and even a carp just floating down the river.

Back on the subject, I am not a "paddle snob" by any means. In fact, I picked up a cheap aluminum pair on Amazon that connect to make a yak style paddle. I haven't used them as one paddle yet, but the paddles themselves have proved sufficient in what I need them for. I don't see spending so much money on paddles, but maybe I will after more time in the canoe. I'd rather spend that money fixing up the canoe/trailer, but that's just me... ;)

New member and posting on an old thread, but I have to start somewhere.

I've been paddling since I was old enough to hold the paddle - early 1950's - in my grandmother's then 40 year old mahogany Old Town. I simply prefer a single blade wood, conventional or beaver tail. I also like a long paddle - I get better leverage with my hands farther apart. I paddled a whitewater kayak for several years, and while the double paddle was great for that, I don't like it at all for a canoe. I'm about to buy a canoe, mostly for fishing and exploring, no tripping. I will mostly be paddling solo, but occasionally my wife will be along so I need one that works both ways. I'm pretty much set on an Old Town Discovery 133. I'll add a Sit-Backer seat for my 71 year old back. Looking forward to getting back on the water again after a 25 year absence.

I'll add a Sit-Backer seat for my 71 year old back. Looking forward to getting back on the water again after a 25 year absence.

You are way better adding a footbrace first.. What happens is those backs give no support at all when paddling if the paddle stroke pushes you forward . And Newtons Third ( I think law) says for every force there is a reactionary force in the opposite direction.
Which is why kayakers may be superior since all their craft have foot pegs save some true traditional boats. Canoes can be retrofitted and canoe racers you will note use foot pegs. This is to give you a way to keep on your seat. The paddle stroke tends to pull you forward and even a Sit Backer wont be able to support you till you fight to get back in contact with it. It will work if you have bracing on your feet to keep you in contact with your Sit Backer.
My back is older than yours but I dont use a Sit Backer. I cant my seats with the forward edge down a little ( Your Old Town has a center seat where you might be able to fit a spacer in to cant it a little ) The two end seats could be canted a little.

Here is some more from pnet https://forums.paddling.com/discussion/1637452/canted-seat-angle

I like the idea of a Sit Backer seat. My friend added one to his canoe and said it was a big asset to back comfort, especially for a long day of fishing

You are way better adding a footbrace first.. What happens is those backs give no support at all when paddling if the paddle stroke pushes you forward . And Newtons Third ( I think law) says for every force there is a reactionary force in the opposite direction.
Which is why kayakers may be superior since all their craft have foot pegs save some true traditional boats. Canoes can be retrofitted and canoe racers you will note use foot pegs. This is to give you a way to keep on your seat. The paddle stroke tends to pull you forward and even a Sit Backer wont be able to support you till you fight to get back in contact with it. It will work if you have bracing on your feet to keep you in contact with your Sit Backer.
My back is older than yours but I dont use a Sit Backer. I cant my seats with the forward edge down a little ( Your Old Town has a center seat where you might be able to fit a spacer in to cant it a little ) The two end seats could be canted a little.

Here is some more from pnet https://forums.paddling.com/discussion/1637452/canted-seat-angle

Thanks for the suggestion and information - I can see what you're getting at. I really won't be doing any very aggressive paddling - mostly fishing my way along the banks of smallish lakes. I've spent countless hours in canoes without foot braces or canted seats with no issues, including two 8 day paddles in the Quetico back in '62 and '63 (I already had a decade of summers in a canoe before those trips). In my kayak pegs were a necessity maneuvering through rapids, but with the way I plan to use the canoe (the Discovery 133 isn't exactly a tripper, more like a pointed bathtub) braces might more in the way of keeping my fishing tackle and such accessible. I remain open minded though, and we'll see how it goes when I get it on the water this spring.

I can see how the Sit Backer would be handy for what you want to use the canoe for.. I have a pic of a friend using the SitBacker and an alligator..... I appreciate your pointing out that Old Town is bringing back that little solo/tandem. And I was tickled pink that they put in real seats that you can fiddle with rather than those plastic butt shaped things that no one finds comfy. What's her weight.. ( The BOAT not your wife...! eek)

I can see how the Sit Backer would be handy for what you want to use the canoe for.. I have a pic of a friend using the SitBacker and an alligator..... I appreciate your pointing out that Old Town is bringing back that little solo/tandem. And I was tickled pink that they put in real seats that you can fiddle with rather than those plastic butt shaped things that no one finds comfy. What's her weight.. ( The BOAT not your wife...! eek)

Specs say a not too slinky 78 lbs (yes the canoe... if my wife weighed 78 lbs she'd be almost two dimensional).

It wouldn't be my first choice if I was planning any portaging, but I should be able to wrestle it onto the Thule rack on top of my F-150 alone when necessary. Price and the dual role (solo and tandem), plus the good load capacity (800 lbs) were the main selling points.

The capacity depends ion the volume of the canoe. Not the brand.
No 13foot canoe can handle 800 lbs safely
that outdated figure is the amount you can load so there is six inches of boat above the waterline.
Thats never enough. Most reputable makers now use ta displacement to allow 8 inches of freeboard
Anyway anything over 500 lbs will overload it and you will be paddling a log
For that length 300 is better

Preeb; Yellowcanoe is right on the money! 800lbs is basically the maximium load for the canoe, the optimium (for stability and rolling resistance, the heavier the canoe, and lower the water line the easier to sink a gunwale) load would be at least 1/2 that, and best performance would be even lower, so realistically you're looking at 3-500lb "working" loads, which is actually more substantial than you'd think; that's 2- 200lb adults and 2- 50lb packs, or enough for a weekend trip.

I have paddled a Royalex Wenonah Fusion one time. That was on a river (no rapids, basically moving flat water) with a single blade paddle. I can't remember what paddle I had. Probably a straight shaft.

That was a few years ago, but as I recall the seat in the Fusion was set up on the low side, but not extremely low. The hull did not track particularly well and I didn't seem to be able to get it to carve with the seat in the stock position. It really seemed to me to be designed to paddle best with a double bladed paddle. Not that it couldn't be controlled easily with a single blade, but the amount of correction required made a single bladed paddle a little inefficient. An option would be to paddle the boat sit and switch with a bent shaft paddle, but the beam of the canoe made switching a bit less attractive.

As for paddle length, I think the recommendations on the Bending Branches website are good, at least for me. Although I am an inch or two shorter than you, my torso and arms are slightly long for my height and my torso length is almost exactly 30 inches. For straight shaft paddles, I have used models from 56-58" in the past, mostly 58" for whitewater. As I developed some troubles with my off-side shoulder, I started going with shorter straight shaft paddles from 54-56" in overall length. As for bent shaft paddles, I have models anywhere from 48" to 54" in length. 48 inches is as short as I can possibly go, and that only in a canoe with a very low seat and lowish shear. For the Fusion I would probably be using a bent shaft somewhere from 50" to 52" in overall length.

Keep in mind the important measurement for canoe paddle sizing is shaft length and for any given overall paddle length, the shaft length will be dependent on blade length. I have some paddles with an overall length of 56" that have shaft lengths as long or longer than paddles of 58" overall length. If I had to pare down to just one straight shaft paddle and one bent shaft it would probably be a 56" straight and a 52" bent.

If you have to paddle any distance, I would not abandon the possibility of a double bladed paddle. I am not a big fan of using double bladed paddles in canoes, but for that boat I might make an exception. If you get a take-apart model you could easily break it down and stow it in the back of the boat when you got to where you were going.

Last edited:
Preeb; Yellowcanoe is right on the money! 800lbs is basically the maximium load for the canoe, the optimium (for stability and rolling resistance, the heavier the canoe, and lower the water line the easier to sink a gunwale) load would be at least 1/2 that, and best performance would be even lower, so realistically you're looking at 3-500lb "working" loads, which is actually more substantial than you'd think; that's 2- 200lb adults and 2- 50lb packs, or enough for a weekend trip.

Understood, but having that max capacity means that it will do well with just me and my wife and tackle bag of fishing gear in it at most - we should never even get close to that max. Most short canoes have a much lower cargo rating. With a 40" beam this one is just well suited for the way I plan to use it.

Back