• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Back to My Paddling Roots?

Reaction score
When I was 16, I owned a 13’ fiberglass canoe that I transported on top of my VW beetle. No rack, no trucker’s hitch, Not even foam blocks for my first trip to the Everglades 😳. Now I’m struggling to get back into the paddling game with back fractures. An ultralight canoe might be in my future. Considering a Placid Boatworks canoe. The Spitfire is ridiculously light at 18-21 lbs. The Rapidfire about 5 lbs more. These little boats are designed for double blade use, as popular since the mid-19th century. Anyone had experience with these little canoes? They are pricey, and I’m not sure I want to spend that much, but I may have to choice if I want to solo paddle. My little canoe was very flexible, it shined on small lakes and small streams, swamps. I even handled the bay near Everglades city on a windy day in that boat. Anyway, just looking for some thoughts about the PBW offerings, and similar ultralights that I may be overlooking. Something also more resistant to rocks would be helpful for more seasonal streams. Thanks.

I'm unfamiliar with Placid's offerings but, in the "ridiculously light" category, you might want to check out Slipstream canoes while you're in that area of NY. They make quite a few boats that are under 18#.

I have had a PB Rapidfire for more than a dozen years, original first generation, with wood gunwales, so it is a bit heavier than the next gen recent cobrasox models. With one glaring exception, I paddle it using a single blade canoe paddle only 99.9%. I use it not only for recreational paddling, and canoe tripping camping, but it is also my race training canoe when my usual race partners are not available to train in a bigger boat. I have a rail mounted higher than highest available stock floor mounted seat installed in my RF, and I even use a thick gel pad to elevate me slightly more for ease of normal single blade paddling. The only exception to using a single blade is when I paddle it during the Adirondack 90 mile canoe race in the solo-rec class, in which a double blade paddle is required by the rules. I like the RF a lot, but when the Shadow came out, it was clear that Joe created the Shadow for one main purpose, and that was to beat all the Rapidfires he had previously sold to racers in the 90 miler solo-rec class. I'll never forget the draft train of five Shadows paddled by PB employees completely dominating the race one year and others every year since in that race class. I have long wanted to get a shadow, but Joe's build time has for many years been one year from order date, especially if I wanted it outfitted with a higher than stock seat for single blade paddling. Joe is always present at the 90 miler, but if I wanted a Shadow for the following year's race, there would be no time to train in it before race date. Although I am tired of waiting, I may get one yet one day.

So, tiring of the constant year long wait time, I began looking at other options, including the GRB Legend, the Savage River Blackwater, and the Swift Cruiser. The first two also reported an extended wait time to build. But After meeting with Bill Swift in May, he said he could have my custom built Cruiser to me in about a month. it was delivered to me just last week, the same day that I received a call that a Blackwater may be available from Southern Tier Canoe. Sorry Jeff, too late.

Last edited:
I would take the optimistic approach and delay spending big bucks on an ultralight boat right now and hope that with time you will be strong enough to handle a boat in the low 40 lb. range. You will have a lot more options to choose from and have a more versatile boat. Not knowing the extent of your injuries I may be wrong, but I hope not.

I have had a RapidFire for 17 years now and it handles all sorts of flatwater well including some big flatwater like the Gulf of Maine and the Gulf of Mexico( its done some coastal Everglades trips out of Everglades City to Shark River. It is not a delicate boat; oyster bars have not damaged it. It is 23 lbs. It handles well unloaded or with an extra 60 lbs water (fresh water for ocean trips).You can get it reinforced for kneeling.
They do come up for sale used occasionally . The wait time for new is pretty long and personally I would advise you in your case to try before investing. Because of injuries you may find sitting low uncomfortable or not. I do paddle my RF with a single blade. It is possible with the Swift ultralights too because of their hull shape tucked in below the gunwales.

Back