• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

My Pearl Build

Ditto on the tanks. They look really good. Another option for the stem fillets could be an epoxy soaked rope stuffed in there. The rope holds its shape nicely when epoxied and looks pretty clean.

Don't forget about Pearl's ugly sister. I want a weight comparison between the two.

Those tanks look great. Good work. And I like the trick of soaking fleece with resin and jamming it into the stems instead of thickened epoxy. Did you thicken it at all? Did it stay soaked into the fleece or did it run some?

Alan

The one inch strips of fleece curl, even when you add resin, and pull on them. I didn't add anything but mixed epoxy. The fleece really holds the resin. I did this as an experiment, as I over lap my cloth on the inside of my stems, and so really don't need anything else.

But for those that wish to save the time, steaming and shaping inner stems, this is an easy and quick alternative.

Cut a few small patches of fleece, to beef up an old Fiberglass snow scoop, you know those square ones with a conduit handle? Used it where the handle and scoop are bolted together. I know I'll find more uses for the resin soaked, Polyester fleece !

I need to up grade my scale ! But I will get finished weights of both !

Also decided to stick with wood gunnels on both, but the Aluminums would be great on the Kevlar.

Jim

Sorry to interrupt you build thread Jim. I figure this is as good a place as any to post this. We have been talking about epoxy fillets sagging, and anyone who is interested is viewing this thread. I came across this from DuPont as I continue my search for abrasion resistant fillers.

http://www2.dupont.com/Personal_Pro...s, Coatings and Fiber Reinforced Plastics.pdf

I ordered some kevlar pulp to add to my abrasion tests, but they claim no sag for fillets too. I might end up putting this on a paddle tip I'm refinishing this weekend so I'll get to test the sag. It might be just the ticket for exposed fillets around buoyancy tanks.

No Apology needed !
The Kevlar pulp, might be just the ticket.
I'd think it would work fine as a fill in the stems, as well as a blade tip on a paddle !

Like to see how fine it is cut ?

Jim

PS. After looking at Dupont's description, there may be difficulty in mixing. Keep us posted !

Last edited:
Here's a couple pics of the feathered edge of the flotation inserts. This helps blend the insert into the hull, even though there is a layer of glass between.
IMG_0584_zpsrt6lmtly.jpg
IMG_0586_zpsoi2lpbmp.jpg

Jim

I can't wait to see this finished Jim. The level of detail you put into your canoes...… well, I've got a lot of catching up to do. I tend to get antsy after the hull is formed and just finish it up as fast as I can. heck my last kevlar canoe isn't even varnished yet, I just get straight to beating them up on the river.

I know well the Antsy feeling !
So far I've resisted paddling an unvarnished canoe.

Jim

Pearl has felt a little neglected, so I cut gunnels, and have the decks fit.
Here's a few pics. All my spring clamps are busy !
IMG_0716_zps17sjkfoc.jpg
IMG_0713_zpsolx8vxpr.jpg

Jim

Waiting on the Fireworks for the 4th, so I thought I'd throw out some pics, of my slow but sure progress on Pearl.

I have the gunnels glued and screwed on Pearl, and while waiting for the glue to cure. I started on the flotation chambers for Kevlar Pearl.
IMG_0731_zpsjj8gkt6d.jpg
IMG_0737_zpsinlmy6y6.jpg
IMG_0733_zpsmff77yuk.jpg
IMG_0747_zpsffz5jea1.jpg

Jim

Looking at this method of doing gunwales, definitely looks better than what I've done... thanks for the clear pics. Is that ash?

Also wondering if you have used any additives in the epoxy here, or if this is just plain resin. Looking forward to seeing her floating.

Looking at this method of doing gunwales, definitely looks better than what I've done... thanks for the clear pics. Is that ash?

Also wondering if you have used any additives in the epoxy here, or if this is just plain resin. Looking forward to seeing her floating.

Over the years, I've tried a few different technics, but I've settled on this one. The Inwhales are glued and screwed, The Outwhales are just glued. This hides the screws, and seals both the hull, and the gunnels.

Yes this is Ash. It seems to hold up well to anything I throw at it. Ash will turn black if moisture gets into it.
I seal my gunnels with Watco Teak. I mean I really seal it. know the directions say to apply, and wipe off. I just don't wipe it off. It takes a long time to dry, but that's what I do.

My glue consists of mixed epoxy (hardener and resin) Cab-o-sil (colloidal silica) ground glass, and wood flour for color. Mix ratios can vary big time, it's up to the builder.
I like to precoat gluing surfaces with mixed epoxy, and let the surface soak it up a little, then I apply the glue. It's a mess, keep an eye on it until it sets. Sometimes the glue will run out of a joint.

Jim

Last edited:
DONE !!!

Well the Watco on the trim is still drying, and I have to license it, but I'm washing my hands.
Here's a few pics.
IMG_0826_zps8caeppgz.jpg
IMG_0820_zpsgmjru8ht.jpg
IMG_0828_zpsrsbolaje.jpg

Thanks !

Jim

Wow, looks fantastic! When are you taking it out? Need some pictures in the water.

Thanks Alan

My varnishing skills are way down the ladder !!!
Epifanes is expensive, but it seems pretty good.

Jim

Stunning detail in the contrasting wood patterns. I am an aficionado of the open gunwales also. Nice job.
Regards,
Dave

Back