• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Multi-use blanket?

Reaction score
The Hereford Zone along the Mason-Dixon Line
I am considering adding some multi-functional “blanket” to my kit, to always keep packed off-season and bring along.

I’m thinking a blanket for sitting huddled in the wind chair, reclining in the hammock with a chill breeze blowing, or crouched around a warming fire; with the right blanket I can see a lot of possible uses. I’d probably leave it in the tripping truck off-season, with the other always-there gear, spare PFD, loaner throw bag, extra rope and cam straps, etc.

Some blanket criteria, in random order:

Not wrinkly noisy Mylar or etc, something quiet and well draped.

For those throw-over/wrap around use intentions, maybe more square than elongated rectangular; a 90” length isn’t needed. How large? Maybe 60” x 60”?

Easily wash-able at home, or at least quickly dried on a camp clothesline. I can live with dirty; dirty and still damp is another story.

Easily pack-able using a small, dedicated compression bag. Loaf of Rye bread size would be ideal.

Not (overly) flammable, or susceptible to sparks or burn holes, although, eh, embers do fall, and burn holes add character and memories. See the aftermath of that hot ember that shot into the crotch of my raingear.

Not garishly or vibrantly colored, something more blend-in earth tone, or even camo, would be ideal. But I could live with colorful if necessary.

For an every use blanket what criteria am I missing? Any material or vendor recommendations?

For gawd’s sake please don’t tell me to sew my own.

The original USGI poncho liner, aka "woobie" cannot be beat in that application, IMO. Make sure you get a real one, the Chinese copies are not even in the same ballpark for quality.

Surplus wool blankets are more durable, but significantly heavier and also hard to dry.

Last edited:
I bring a fleece sleeping bag liner and use it out of the tent as well. Lightweight and rolls up a little bigger than a 32oz Nalgene. No idea where I got it many years ago- Campmor maybe when they had the tiny news print catalogs- I miss those.

50 x 60 is a pretty standard size for a "throw", generally speaking the more you pay the better quality the fleece (and the more space it occupies).

Most but not all are fleece (cheap), not good for sparks but if you only pay $3 (Dollar Store) then what's a few pinholes? On the other hand they dry faster than natural fibres.

Also functions as pillow stuffing

+1 on the US Military Poncho Liner. I used one for the entire time I was I was in SE Asia. The rainy season was pretty cool and damp poncho liner made the difference between a good nights sleep or not so good. I would get the poncho also, so your drunken companions can cover you up to keep you dry in case of inclement weather.
As a kid my mother used what she called horse blanket pins to pin together a Army & a Navy blankets for a makeshift sleeping bag, for my early camping adventures.
As my finances in life increased, I bought a couple of Hudson’s Bay Blankets and a ten oz canvas tarp to make a really nice bed roll. Which I still use on trips that don’t involve portages. These blankets are nice to wrap around your body on a cold evening around a fire or on a nasty morning while waking up with a caffeinated beverage of choice. HB blankets do add color to camp scenes for you folks that are into photography.

+1 on the woobie. I got mine a few years ago from my nephew who retired after 20 years in the army. Goes on all my trips now - very versatile. Widely available as military surplus.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 9
Back