• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

MEC Mantis tarp

Reaction score
This thing is so perfect. One tent pole, pegs, bug net and set it up with canoe paddle. This would take the place of a tarp in my kit....if I could ever find one! Discontinued long ago

1688724147093.png

much of the time we are camping on the rocky shoes with the only trees up on the overgrown banks. Hard to find a spot for tarps. Would use almost daily on trip

Just a bit of kit I wish was still around, as it was fit for purpose for canoe tripping.

ps, not a want ad, but I will indeed buy yours if you wish to part with it!

What a good idea. I like it. It would come in handy for those mid day lunch stops I like to take. Your post got me to thinking, I might have enough material left over from that old 10x12 tent to throw something like that together.

Mountain Hardware made something similar to that years ago. They called it the "Bat Ray" and it came in 2 and 4 person sizes. I gave my "2" to a student who wanted to do a lot of lightweight traveling after he graduated. I still have the "4" and use it as my only shelter on paddling trips. Lots of open space and as long as the front is angled away from any prevailing winds, you'll be able to ride out some horrendous storms in one.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Kelty Cabana also looks similar. Not bug proof though I don't think.

It might not be terribly hard to make one.
I use similar size screen shelters for cooking, eating and hanging out in when I need relief from wind, rain or insects. I take one in addition to a tent and in place of a tarp. I use modified freestanding screen tents that range from 3.0 lbs - 5.6 lbs depending on the number of people and conditions that I am anticipating.

This year in an attempt to reduce weight and bulk I bought the materials and fabric to make one.

I don't get it. Is Big Agnes going out of business?Screenshot_20230709-084055-572.png
I've never seen their items sell for so cheap.
Roy

I believe it's a scam site. No offense to Johnny 5, it's not him.
If that price was legit, I'd be all over that.
Roy

I believe it's a scam site. No offense to Johnny 5, it's not him.
If that price was legit, I'd be all over that.
Roy
I apologize for the link in my previous post. I just did a quick google search so that I could post a photo of the Big Agnes Whetstone shelter and that was the photo that I came across. I edited my previous link.

John

Last edited:
I just saw this, and the Mantis is the best Barrens bug tent out there. It is rainproof, bugproof, and very wind resistant, more so than the CCS lean. Of course it has been discontinued. I've used both up north (Alaska and Canadian Barrens), and I like the Mantis better as it seems more stable in winds as it has a support hoop and a more aerodynamic design. Making one would be challenging as it has all curves instead of flat panels like the Lean.

Can’t believe I missed this post too, must have been paddling.

Got lucky and found a like new mantis for sale on kijiji two years ago. It was like winning the lottery! Between it and an older one, we should be good till we can’t paddle anymore.
Before I found it I was really stressing out about what we’d do when the other one wears out and went as far as contacting MEC to see if they’d do another run of them or if they had something sitting in a back corner. No luck.
I like how easy and quick it is to set up. All you need is five big rocks and a paddle and you’re good to take on darn near gale forces.

Attachments

• IMG_2617.jpeg
    IMG_2617.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 18
This thing is so perfect. One tent pole, pegs, bug net and set it up with canoe paddle. This would take the place of a tarp in my kit....if I could ever find one! Discontinued long ago

View attachment 136360

much of the time we are camping on the rocky shoes with the only trees up on the overgrown banks. Hard to find a spot for tarps. Would use almost daily on trip

Just a bit of kit I wish was still around, as it was fit for purpose for canoe tripping.

ps, not a want ad, but I will indeed buy yours if you wish to part with it!
The MEC Mantis Tarp has similarities to the Big Agnes Whetstone shelter and the Blackdeer Boat Solo Tent Pro.

The Boat Solo Tent Pro is currently available for sale. It is not as compact or as simplistic in design as the Mantis Tarp but screen mesh sides could be added to it and it may meet your requirements.

Attachments

• DSCN2596.JPG
    DSCN2596.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN2597.JPG
    DSCN2597.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN2595.JPG
    DSCN2595.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 9
The MEC Mantis Tarp has similarities to the Big Agnes Whetstone shelter and the Blackdeer Boat Solo Tent Pro.

The Boat Solo Tent Pro is currently available for sale. It is not as compact or as simplistic in design as the Mantis Tarp but screen mesh sides could be added to it and it may meet your requirements.
I’ve done this to a Whetstone small shelter for a solo bug tent. Works great.

Attachments

• IMG_2718.jpeg
    IMG_2718.jpeg
    52.6 KB · Views: 12
I’ve done this to a Whetstone small shelter for a solo bug tent. Works great.
I just read reviews of it, and several said it was bad in wind. How bout yours? Did you just add bug net? And how many people could function under it?

It’s no worse than a mantis in the wind. I put sod cloths on it to seal the bugs out and when it’s windy put rocks on them to help anchor it and with the mesh on the front and pegged or rocked down it’s solid. I’d imagine the bad reviews come from people expecting it to take a wind coming from its front.
In the small model, you could squeeze 2 in but I wouldn’t want to. I’ve run my small stick stove in it a few times during desperate times, and managed to not burn it down.
I will say, Big Agnes did a great job on the original structure.

Last edited:
Six Moons Designs makes some interesting ultra light shelters with bug protection.

Last edited:
Back