• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Maine somewhere.

Reaction score
Come one come all!
Where? Somewhere in Maine, northeast area. Robin has great ideas so I’m letting him be my guide. I just hope the bagels I bring last after the 400 mile drive.

When? Around mid week August 16? But flexible for a few days around there.

How long? I’d like to stay up there 3-5 days. Hopefully 5.

We are looking at no portages but if you want to join and the trip has side paddles with portages come join! Or if he finds a paddle and we help each other portage the boats that’s a possibility. Just looking to relax and enjoy the views and stars if I stay awake long enough.

Last year my trip was cancelled because a hurricane was supposed to make landfall up there which I believe it fizzed out. Now I can use my Delorene maps. ( not sure I spelled that correctly)
Best to all.

Last edited:
I may be able to make it. I am in the Freeport area with the family around that time. Maybe I could begin or end my family vacation with a
canoe trip. I will see how the dates and logistics shake out.

Bob

I'm hoping to get up that way too, I've already google mapped my way to southern Maine, unfortunately that time doesn't work for me. I won't have a window until late Sept. but that is also when my wife wants to go to the Daks, but you never know.

I'm hoping to get up that way too, I've already google mapped my way to southern Maine, unfortunately that time doesn't work for me. I won't have a window until late Sept. but that is also when my wife wants to go to the Daks, but you never know.
Just keep going.. My closest 3 day trip is Moose River in Jackman. I live an hour north of Portland. Saco River has camping and too many fecal stupid campers. I won't swim in it especially after high rains even though its 20 minutes away

Also following.

Yeah, that's how you get out of the fecal leachate zone, just drive and/or portage a couple hours farther than is comfortable for a Taco Bell propelled camper.

There are a lot of options for river trips down the Aroostook that are seldom done, even though they're "in the book". Some friends of mine did Millimagassett Lake to Masardis, and I was bummed to miss it.

Just keep going.. My closest 3 day trip is Moose River in Jackman. I live an hour north of Portland. Saco River has camping and too many fecal stupid campers. I won't swim in it especially after high rains even though its 20 minutes away
YC, Waterspyder and I went to Jackman a few years ago. Really nice. The logging road was scary for this city boy.

I'm not sure of where to go, I just threw out the Millinocket area, but I'm open to other areas too. I'm unable to portage much, but don't let affect the group's plans. Coldfeet mentioned he was coming up so we just started kicking this idea around.
The Penobscot River is an easy 3 day trip from Howland to Old Town, with no ports and nice campsites, no white water, (Thanks to Matt H for that lead).
Lots of options that I'm not really experienced with, so if anyone has more ideas that would be helpful.

Can someone share info about the water levels in late August about the Penobscot river Robin mentioned and Millinocket Lake near the Jo Mary’s. I guess when it gets closer to the beginning of August we can choose which place.

The Penobscot in the stretch mentioned is always navigable.. Low water does not make it a hiking trip. BTW that part of Maine does not seem to be in as much of a drought as Southern Maine. There is one dam to portage around Mattaseunk Dam The link Goonstroke gave has very good maps.

Thanks folks, sounds like the place to go. We can help each other with the portage if someone needs it. I’m not ashamed to ask for a helping hand. Learned how to make bannock so I’ll be the baker. Wonder about making bagels in the reflector oven. 🤔

Back