• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Luci Lights (and artificial illumination evolution)

Reaction score
The Hereford Zone along the Mason-Dixon Line
Glenn wrote “Luci Lights could be a topic by itself, but I haven't found them to be satisfactory for my nocturnal reading”.

As. . . . .you. . . ..wish

There are a variety of MPowered Luci Lights; mini ones, frosted ones, multi-color light versions with strobe, smaller ones with only 3 or 4 LEDs. The discussion on the other thread involved using Luci Lights for bedtime reading.

The ones I use for reading throw a bright and fairly focused light. I underestimated the number of LED’s; looking at them there are in fact 10 LEDs. The inflatable vinyl housing is unfrosted clear all around and, perhaps more importantly, the LED’s are mounted on a shiny mirror surface.

They are focused for bedtime reading, and even a single one is sufficient. Before I got a second one I was using a single 10 LED hooked in the tent at one angled \ , and got a second smaller one, a frosted 4 LED, hooked on the other side angled / .

One night I noticed that the book I was reading looked slightly dimmer, but still readable, and realized that the little 4 LED Luci had gone out. Its absence was barely noticeable.

The two 10 LED mirror backed clear versions, angled \ and / are focused equally at both pages of a book, and bright as heck. I’m looking at them now, ISO some model number. Not much to go on, 3.7VDCLithium Polymer Battery, and a suspiciously even serial #, 10200500US. FWIW they are 5” in diameter and 4” tall, unfrosted vinyl body and mirrored LED mount inside.

They have three settings, bright, really bright and annoying strobe. I last set them in the sun to charge the batteries pre-Covid, both are still bright, brighter and arrgghh, dammit, I didn’t want blinky.

FWIW I pulled out the little one, 4” dia x 4” tall, frosted LED backing plate inside, frosted side housing and four LED’s, but only three of them light up white. The 4th LED is solely a red strobe, which I’m now sorry I stared at directly. Semi useless to me as a reading light, that mini was relegated to the Spares & Repairs bag as a backup.

While I don’t much like artificial illumination at night, at least outside the tent, that little 3 LED Luci is handy under the tarp, diffuse dim enough that it doesn’t ruin my night vision during pre-bedtime clean up, and I can find my way back from the thunderbox without being blinded.

For bedtime organization and reading purposes, in the tent or in the vehicle, the mirror backed 10 LEDs were a better solution for me than any lantern, headlamp or flashlight. Now available in XXL sizes, for big boys reading big books.

https://www.amazon.com/MPOWERD-Luci-Solar-Powered-Lantern/dp/B00P0LTA0U

I am also a fan of Lucie lights. After getting one as a gift years ago I purchased 3 more and we keep them on a sunny windowsill for use during power outages as well as for camping. One with a red strobe goes in the truck for emergency use. The big one with 10 leds only weighs 3.9 oz and never requires batteries or recharging, other than sitting in the sun. Way cheaper and lighter than my Fenix tactical flashlight, and have never had one fail. However, I have never had a need to use one for more than a few hours and haven’t tested the claim that it will run for 11 hours on bright. Photo is one which is still in the box as a backup.2EEEB571-3511-47D7-8A9E-267D3F63CE1D.jpeg715826C5-35D3-4A65-9176-4E0BE3F715DC.jpeg

Good reminder to find my three Lucis and get them out of the drawer. I admit to not remembering to put them out to recharge and they seem to live happily buried in a cabinet all winter.

Mike My Lucis are old. Single LED for the ones in the house. I think its the Luci Candle.. I have to get to the trailer to survey the ones there. I think I need to upgrade. Not for home but for playing Sequence when we go camping next month in Florida. I appreciate your mention of the 10 led version.

Last edited:
I have 3 that I keep on a window sill 24/7. We get power outages here and they come in handy. I also use them in camp and in the tent when I'm out. I do pack a headlamp but rarely use with 3 of the Luci's going.

One the evolutionary side, turning to the way-back machine, does anyone remember the little collapsible Uco Lanterns? Or still use one?

https://www.amazon.com/UCO-Original...ocphy=9007844&hvtargid=pla-306845568636&psc=1

We still have two of those, gotta be nearing 40 years old. And a 3 candle UCO Chandelier.

https://www.amazon.com/UCO-Candleli...ocphy=9007844&hvtargid=pla-348528886456&psc=1

I liked the ambiance of a candle lantern, but those UCOs got hot, occasionally wax messy, and of course needed candles. And were useless for bedtime reading in the tent.

Of course we had a two mantle Coleman Lantern. Didn’t everyone? I hated that thing. I still hate those things on neighboring sites in community camping settings. I’d rather be waterboarded than have one of those glaring in my eyes 50’ away.

We still have a single mantle Coleman Peak 1. Still works; hasn’t left the house in years, but it’s handy at home when we lose power for more than a few hours. Coleman 2-burner stove falls in the same category.

In the evolution of artificial light I once thought that two AA battery Mag-Lites, with duct tape wrapped around the end to hold in my teeth (briefly, there will be drool) were the greatest thing ever. Focusable beam, replaceable bulbs, later including LED upgrades, and durable as heck. Still have a couple of those old Mag-lites around.

Today’s flashlight illumination is a mouthful of letters, quality CREE LED flashlights augmenting the Luci Lights for everyone in the family, including one for each of their vehicles.

https://www.canoetripping.net/threads/pocket-flashlight.93804/

When we lose power all of those come out, some are left out at the ready.

On a well, sans generator, if we anticipate losing power, we position pre-filled dromedary bags or carboys at every sink and 5-gallon buckets at every toilet too. Folks who trip, or even just camp, are likelier better prepared than folks who don’t. Between the pantry, leftover camping foods and freeze dry the four of us could eek by for several weeks. Longer if I had a recipe for squirrel. Or cat.

That emergency preparedness could be a topic by itself, suitable for pre-nocturnal reading.

I'm new here. I had never heard of Luci lights. Hmm. Interesting. Learned something.:cool:

I like Luci lights, but they are not so dependable as they age.
I usually carry two of them to make sure one of them works.

Love Luci Lights. I was skeptical at first, but they hold up well and yield enough light to read by. They seem to hold a charge forever, as I have forgotten them in drawers for months and they still shine brightly.

I hardly ever use a flashlight anymore, but I go to bed and get up with the sun.

We are always prepared for power outages, including storing water as the pump is electric.

I like Luci lights, but they are not so dependable as they age.
I usually carry two of them to make sure one of them works.
neither am I .
But I think my Luci lanterns are 10 years old. I got them when you bought one for ten bucks ( I think) and they would donate one to an agency to distribute to those in need.

We are watered, heated and generator ready to go. And fooded and wined and beered.

neither am I .
But I think my Luci lanterns are 10 years old. I got them when you bought one for ten bucks ( I think) and they would donate one to an agency to distribute to those in need.

We are watered, heated and generator ready to go. And fooded and wined and beered.
You mean they are more than $10 now???!!!

Back