• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Useless/Unused Canoe or Camping Gear You've Had

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know a lot of folks like them, but I've never gotten gotten useful tent lighting out of solar powered, inflatable Luci Lights. By that, I mean light useful for me to read by. The light is just too diffuse, unfocused or weak to read by, which I MUST do every night of my life. A headlamp on my head or suspended above me gives the focused reading light I need. Plus, the Luci won't charge on rainy or gray days.

Although I used them a few times during my initial gaga and pink elephant period after purchasing my first canoe in 1980, a MR Explorer, the 2 hp outboard motor and motor mount sat unused in my garage for decades thereafter.

You can send yours to me. I use them constantly for reading. They fit in a hammock peak net, they hang from a gear net in a tent, they stick on canoe bows in quiet low-tide ocean sounds, they hang in AT shelters. I did hurricane relief in the Virgin Islands once and they were a godsend down there. They also don't blind other people in group camps, similar to the red-light function on some headlights.

I paid good money (and a lot of it) for a Fjallraven anorak I thought I'd wear every rainy and cold day in a canoe. I've worn it once; it wetted out in twenty minutes and I've never used it again. I think Fjallraven makes the best outdoor pants in the world (Kebs) but I won't trust their raingear again.

MyKneesHurt……..
That’s funny, I never thought of my Fjallraven anoraks as rain gear, only wind proof, never used their wax either, I wanted them to be semi breathable. I wear the ones I have most days in the fall, winter and early spring as a wind proof outerwear over appropriate for the current weather, insulating layers.
If you are a big guy, like XXL send me a PM with color, size, model, picture & price and I could very well buy it from you.
……..Birchy
ps
My knees hurt too, wish I hadn’t jumped off of so many things. I’ve been taking “Move Free” a Glucosamine/Chondroitin over-the-counter joint supplement, which seems to help or maybe just the placebo effect.

Last edited:
In the unused category I seem to have gathered together several rain jackets. I still hold onto 2 sets of army surplus rain jackets and pants because they've always performed well. Seam sealer treatment has seen to that. Goodness knows why I've added other rain gear to the collection, each one seemed like a good idea at the time. At last count I have 4 more jackets and 2 more pairs of pants?? I've never been much of a collector besides the growing items on my To Do list. Maybe I'll add Rain Gear Purge to the list.

MyKneesHurt……..
That’s funny, I never thought of my Fjallraven anoraks as rain gear, only wind proof, never used their wax either, I wanted them to be semi breathable. I wear the ones I have most days in the fall, winter and early spring as a wind proof outerwear over appropriate for the current weather, insulating layers.
If you are a big guy, like XXL send me a PM with color, size, model, picture & price and I could very well buy it from you.
……..Birchy
ps
My knees hurt too, wish I hadn’t jumped off of so many things. I’ve been taking “Move Free” a Glucosamine/Chondroitin over-the-counter joint supplement, which seems to help or maybe just the placebo effect.
Their cotton anoraks are certainly not rainproof. This was a Vardag Hydratic, designed for rain, I should have made that clear! -MKH

I like to wax the bottom half of my Keb pants. Keeps them from picking up so much mud and dirt, and I have a pet theory that it lets me wade up to my knees and essentially have 'quick-dry' pants.

If I were you, I would complain to Fjallraven long and loud about that rain proof anorak.
Nothing worse than rain gear that doesn’t work. The only two cases of hypothermia that I have personally seen, have been due to poor rain gear in cold autumn rain. Both cases were caught early enough that no lasting harm was done. Quick fire, tarp, hot chocolate and warm dry clothes cured both the problems fairly fast.
Fjallraven I believe is a stand up company, they should want to protect their good name and stand behind their product. I suspect they, like the rest of the world does not make their own stuff anymore, but have it made in some country not named Sweden.
My anoraks are the G-1000 fabric that are 35% cotton. For rain gear I have Bergen’s super light for tripping and Helly Hanson’s commercial fishing for more sedentary, sit in the boat, all day fishing, no portages rainy day activities.
……Birchy

I've had a few Goretex items of clothing, but have always been skeptical that any kind of fabric can be truly waterproof and breathable. One or the other is usually compromised. I like neck openings (with a wide brim rain hat) and pit zips to release heat in rain gear when I am moving such as paddling.

I got one of those UV water purifiers once. Never used it. Maybe they work great but I guess I'll never find out now.

Alan

In answering another thread, I was reminded that early in my career I bought two Carlisle and two Mohawk paddles, both of which are made from metal and plastic. The Carlisles were heavy clubs and I never used them after the first few times. The Mohawks were lighter and more usable, but they also began collecting dust after I discovered many fine wood paddles and, later, carbon paddles. Aside from their ungainly weight, I simply don't like the hand feel, the shaft feel, or the flex feel of a metal or plastic paddle.

Many years ago I got a pair of neoprene gloves*. They had plastic printed on the palms and bottom of fingers. It looked like a place for non-stick grip, but it was really hard and slippery. I couldn't grip the paddle.

The first cold trip I ended up paddling without them because I was concerned I wouldn't be able to roll with them. It was so cold there was ice building up on my kayak and life jacket. And I had to paddle bare handed because the gloves were so slippery.

I've only used them since as gloves for playing in the snow.

*The brand shall remain nameless since I've gotten great gear from them over the years

Back