• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Likes and Reaction Scores

Reaction score
The Hereford Zone along the Mason-Dixon Line
Respecting, and from an admin perspective understanding, Glenn’s wishes “Again, please no more tangent discussions of likes or reaction scores in this thread.”, I didn’t want that thread to go wildly off course, but feel I should elaborate on my anti “like” or “point scoring” preferences on a separate thread.

In a quick Google there are dozens of articles regarding the addictive impact of “Like” buttons, from the New York Times to Cosmo. Not to be idiomatic, but it is what it is.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/31/style/are-likes-and-followers-the-problem-with-social-media.html

https://steverosephd.com/why-we-are-addicted-to-likes/

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/reports/a9931660/psychology-social-media-likes-mental-health-issues/

I didn’t need a weatherman to tell me which way the wind blows; I saw Facebook addicts at my old work jonsing like a Junkie, and spending half their day in search of new likes and “friends”.

Social media “Likes” are addictive; they are deliberately designed to be so. I know that I am addictive enough already without being part of some social media software psyops.

No offense to anyone who enjoys gauging their “score”, but I do not canoe trip, or participate on paddling boards, in search of a self-validating sense of worth, and don’t want that, or other competition, to become part of my deliberately limited exposure to social media.

Who has been paddling the longest? Whose pack weighs the least? Whose canoe cost the most? Whose single blade technique is the epitome of learned grace and style? Who does the longest/hardest/most remote trips? I enjoy reading about that stuff, and jeepers, am not in first in any possible category. But, in the end, who cares?

Even when I raced I wasn’t striving to be ultra competitive, and didn’t want to be; being there and being part of it was enough. I/we did take various “First-in-class”, but we were most often in a class by ourselves.

I can do without a Who’s-Who of “winning” reaction scores and trophy points race. What the heck is a “trophy”? Can I put it on my mantle? If we ever have another raffle should we have a trophy, or award a Pantone 342 “Rye Green” PFD to the winner.

Lets rejoining our coverage for a look at who’s ahead on the Leader Board today.

That, of course, is just me; I don’t expect anyone else to hold the same “Likes” judgment. Maybe y’all are more immune than I to subtle, psychologically designed addictives. I’ve been hooked on certain beverages and smokables for 45 years, I need no more vices.

Although, as mentioned earlier, a quick glance at the thread that started this discussion, dividing the various participant’s total number of posts by their reaction score, shows that y’all have some serious catching up to do.

Tryin, wearing black and blue silks, is coming around the second corner already leading by two lengths, with 27 messages and 69 points.

Tryin, if I knew how I’d give you some love, or at least a wow. Or visit the $2 window.

I personally don’t read much into the likes. If I read something I agree with or enjoy, but don’t have anything specific to add- I like it.

I don’t get an emotional reaction that someone likes my post, but it indicates that they are engaged and just may not have anything to add of value.

I’m not on Facebook either for what it’s worth.

Don't worry, Mike, I give you laughing faces instead of likes because Glenn said they don't count towards your score.

I could care less about my "like" score but I appreciate the feature. Oftentimes I don't have anything to add to a post or discussion but do want to let the poster know I appreciated it. I think the "likes" are better than a bunch of "me too" or "yeah, right on" posts.

Alan

I'm with you 100 percent Mike !
That and all the other garbage is what ruined Paddling.net.

Jack L

I could care less about my "like" score but I appreciate the feature. Oftentimes I don't have anything to add to a post or discussion but do want to let the poster know I appreciated it. I think the "likes" are better than a bunch of "me too" or "yeah, right on" posts.

Yes. When likes were first enabled on this board, I thought "oh no, more of that feces", but I do like appreciate that I can agree with or celebrate someone's post without cluttering the thread with a one line "heck yeah!" post.

Do we need to display the reaction score? Without that global mines-bigger-than-yours stat the likes wouldn't be so creepy.

As others have previously said, I use it to say “word man, I’m pickin’ up what yer puttin’ down” without cluttering the thread and padding my post count, another metric that variably matters to some. It’s a way to give feedback without much effort I guess. It would be sad to post something everyone enjoyed or agreed with, but no one replied to. In such case at least the likes indicate you made some impact or impression on others.

I personally don’t read much into the likes. If I read something I agree with or enjoy, but don’t have anything specific to add- I like it.

I don’t get an emotional reaction that someone likes my post, but it indicates that they are engaged and just may not have anything to add of value.
Agreed. I never knew (and still don't care) that a score exists but I do appreciate knowing that what I wrote resonated with someone.

I never paid too much attention to it until it was brought up in that other thread. On some forums which can have some debates, the up/down votes, etc... serve somewhat of a purpose. But since this forum doesn't really argue, then not needed. Except maybe if we have a dragged out, down and dirty argument over Spam vs Treet vs Klik

Agreed.

I don’t do any social media and didn’t even get that the likes were here until recently. It is nice to let the poster and others know the post resonates with me without cluttering up the thread.

So I started using the likes. Then I started worrying I would forget to like a post I liked and somehow cause offense. Or that posts in the past weren’t liked because I didn’t know about it. This is getting far too complicated a social situation for me to navigate. Please, give me some white water instead.

Never having experienced a like before I was surprised to note that someone liked a post and found it pleasing. But not worth the threat of addiction.

I don’t do any social media
Apoligies but bulletin boards like this are social media.

I wish the "like" was "I agree" or "me too", as that is how I use it.

As far as points, I have seen some boards using this software that have a fee or dues, and the points are used as credit towards those fees. Seems superfluous here.

“You know you are just asking for a bunch of likes”

Not just likes, I got me some love, and even made a couple people cry.

Starting the morning with a deep huff of emoticons I am beaming with pride, and now girded to face the day.

Not everyone can work “girded” into everyday conversation! 👏

To play the devil's advocate I think there is some benefit to tracking and displaying things like number of posts and reaction scores.
Whenever I get a new hobby or interest I seek out a forum to learn more about it and of course everyone there is a complete stranger to me. Seeing post count or something equivalent to a reaction score lets me quickly figure out who the regulars are and, while certainly not perfect, gives me some idea of how much weight to put into an individuals opinion.

Alan

It's a malicious plot to weed out the technologically less fortunate. Using this chink in the heretofor inpenetrable fortress of "experience equals respect" social hierarchy, we millenials can now infiltrate the forums of yore, building our psuedo-reputations with dopamine-releasing "likes" pyramid schemes. Soon, my only outdoors-related satisfaction will come from the avalanche of reaction scores received from my posting of a hackneyed trip report. I will then challenge McCrea and MacGrady to a populist duel (truel?) for the coveted title of forum top-dog and paddle off into the wildfire haze-addled sunset with my trophy points.

Or maybe not. Hyperbole has always been a weakness of mine. 🤔

This site delivers in spades, I love it here. 🤩

Last edited:

I’m not on Facebook either for what it’s worth.
Ditto!

Apoligies but bulletin boards like this are social media.

I wish the "like" was "I agree" or "me too", as that is how I use it.

As far as points, I have seen some boards using this software that have a fee or dues, and the points are used as credit towards those fees. Seems superfluous here.
My apologies.

I am so unused to the concept, I wasn’t aware of the exact definition. Forgive, please, this old lady.

I’ll try again: The only interactions I have on the internet, besides personal and work email, are this forum and two other specific forums a lot like this one.

Back