• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Light Weight Food Canister

I like to bring pilot crackers (probably reminds me of the c-ration hard tack crackers of my youth)...but the best part is that they fit exactly into a 15oz coffee can.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 3
Sailor Boy Pilot Bread is a staple in the Alaska Bush. I have been tempted to ask Mike McCrea if he had ever been to the bakery in Maryland that makes it. We always have a box on hand in case of some sort of disaster. Pilot Bread, along with a big jar of Jiff crunchy peanut butter and a couple cans of your favorite Canadian Jam will keep you going for a long time. Going to need enough coffee or tea to survive with some sort of grace & style.
Once while doing salmon research on a tributary of the Unalakleet River we were tasked with catching three female Chum Salmon, aka dog, calico or in Latin Oncorhynchus keta. Then counting their eggs for part of a fecundity study. As we counted the egg Camp Robbers or as it is now called Canada Jay’s were hauling the eggs away as fast as we flicked them off the counting trays. One of the team members decided it was lunch time got out the pilot bread, peanut butter and jam. When she set down the pilot bread a Jay swooped in, took the pilot bread, head across the river with it. The large round disc really messed up Jay’s flight control. It couldn’t fly straight and level, constantly in a steep climb or a dive. It disappeared into the willows on the far bank. The Jay’s returned to carrying away eggs but, left the pilot bread alone. Best stunt flying I have ever seen.

Hard tack is actually pretty easy to make yourself. You can size it to fit any conainer you have. The dryer it is (longer cook in the oven) , the longer iet keeps. But if too hard it will break your teeth if you try to break it by mouth. The trick is to dip it in a hot liquid, or break into small pieces to soak in your mouth rather than chewing it while super hard.

Hard tack is actually pretty easy to make yourself. You can size it to fit any conainer you have. The dryer it is (longer cook in the oven) , the longer iet keeps. But if too hard it will break your teeth if you try to break it by mouth. The trick is to dip it in a hot liquid, or break into small pieces to soak in your mouth rather than chewing it while super hard.

Don't you need to add worms, for the full experience?

'Tis the dying wail of the starving:
"O, hard tack, hard tack, come again once more!"
You were old and very wormy, but we pass your failings o'er.
O, hard tack, come again once more!

Back