• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Leaving in the wee hours tomorrow morning...

Pat - Thanks for taking us along on your trip. It's definitely given me some ideas for the future. Now that I'm retired, I can (hopefully) take the time you didn't have at this point to do some exploring; and fishing. Glad the knock on your noggin didn't keep you from completing your rounds; especially since you were running solo. As to the bike idea; I've done that a couple of times now when out paddling and hiking. It certainly is nicer than a long walk at the end of your day.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Patrick, great stuff thanks for posting, almost like being there!
When you go back Long Pond Mt is a must, although I liked better before it was a marked and maintained trail. St Regis Mt can be bushwhacked directly from St Regis Pond avoiding the circuitous paddle to get to the trailhead.
And you may want to include a visit to Ledge Pond, it’s rarely visited and a gem.
As far as the goose egg, at least you didn’t split it open, blows to the head often result in a black eye, which could be a cool temporary tattoo!
once again, great trip report and pics.

Thanks Stripperguy. I presume you access Ledge Pond via the western bay of Long Pond and the intermediate small ponds. I've already been thinking of the next visit, and considered carrying to Mountain Pond and making the hike to Long Pond Mountain, and Ledge Pond would seem to be a logical extension of such an itinerary. Thanks for the thought!

Pat

Your trip report was fantastic! Canoe is aboslutely amazing. Having followed Robin for quite some time my interest grows on a daily base to either find a wood/canvas restore project or perhaps even build one someday. The pictures of your canoe on this trip only added to that. Great trip, great canoe All the best!

Just read through this trip report again 01/21/2021. Followed your entire trip again on google maps and enjoyed it once again. I think this trip report may have given me the itch to solo a similar route.

Last edited:
Well, likewise... I've followed your Wabnaki build and subsequent trip reports/videos. Well done yourself!

My wood/canvas canoe continues to amaze me too. It's just a joy to paddle as well as just admire. The builder really made an effort to make it not only fun to paddle, but it is so pleasing to look at as well. I never tire of looking at the refined decks, with both inwales & outwales which taper gracefully to a near point at the stem. Now that I look at other commercially produced wood/canvas canoes I rarely see such a fine point at the stem. I really like it. The canoe was a real treat on this trip, and in spite of my minor complaints about carrying, it was really not onerous and any complaints I had were truthfully exacerbated by my own sense that I had to hurry.

I've fallen in love with wood/canvas to the point that I'm currently actively looking at buying a Chestnut restoration project! It's just a long drive for me, but might be worth the effort. I'll share if it becomes a reality.

Was up there myself about a month ago, but with a much lighter canoe (22lbs). Did it ten years ago with a a 32lb one, and that was rough... can't imagine with my wood/canvas ones, at 50 and 75lbs.

Great pics sir... thank you very much for taking us along! and now that you know, maybe you'll go back. Kit Fox is my favorite all time pond... just a special place.

NIce TR. I love fall trips. When I was younger, sometimes I would get off work, pack up and leave at midnight. Now I sleep in and leave at 0800 or later.

We used to paddle hard. One trip was 50 miles in a day and a half. Now I like to float with the current more.

Was up there myself about a month ago, but with a much lighter canoe (22lbs). Did it ten years ago with a a 32lb one, and that was rough... can't imagine with my wood/canvas ones, at 50 and 75lbs.

Great pics sir... thank you very much for taking us along! and now that you know, maybe you'll go back. Kit Fox is my favorite all time pond... just a special place.

Kit Fox Pond is not named on Google Maps but I happen to think based on the report that it would be the pond that is Northeast of Nellie Pond and just South of Little Long Pond, or perhaps it is the little tiny pond in between. Not sure, but would certainly like to know.

You are correct. Lovely little pond, and I stress ‘little’. For me it was a pleasant, but brief paddle- but certainly not a destination of itself!

Great area, great time to go, great weather, great trip.

Back