• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

Is there a doctor in the house?

A kindred spirit you and I snapper. I play around with a banjo, I’ve built a ukulele and a mountain dulcimer and made a couple limberjacks.
Jim

A fux@&$g doctor, a lawyer and a biting insect PhD walked into a bar…. Sorry wrong joke.
Simuliumvenustum ……..
Do you think you can help Black Fly, the guy that posts here?
;)

I put in about 20 years as a volunteer EMT-firefighter with 3 different services (2 ambulance squads and a fire station), which is as close to being a doctor I ever want to be. It was rewarding most of the time, stressful a lot of the time, but the pay sucked, lol! Those skills came handy on several canoe trips.

Professionally I am an environmental scientist, and have worked my way through State government and currently work as an upper-tier manager in Water Resources protection, overseeing regulatory programs for freshwater wetlands, water quality, septic systems and stormwater.

Neither profession included paddling (at least, not often), but neither ever got boring, so there's that.

-rs

As most of you know, I am a prostitu . . . er, lawyer, who used to teach as well as ply my trade.

Back in the 80's and 90's, an ER doctor named Phyllis used to paddle with my whitewater club occasionally. On one trip on a little-paddled section of the Hudson River, one of the canoeists cut his leg and was bleeding. Dr. Phyllis's immediate professional response was: "EWW!".

As the trip leader, I tried to reassure the group that if Dr. Phyllis killed anyone via malpractice on the trip, I would sue her on behalf of the deceased's estate at a discounted rate of $200 per hour. This seemed to calm all fears and to raise confidence, so we were able to continue our trip with happy endorphins.

Coincidentally but absolutely true, Dr. Phyllis used to proudly state that her last name in some language meant prostitute.
Too funny, Glenn. I've had two incidents in remote locations where I rendered first aid to an injured person, only to learn afterward that the medical assessment and subsequent first aid I rendered were observed by medical doctors, who did not intervene for legal reasons.

One event occurred at Crag Camp, just below the summit of Mt. Adams, the second-highest peak in the New Hampshire Presidential Range. My two buddies and I were there to spend the night and had been conversing with a pleasant gentleman who was also there for the night and who only identified himself as from the town near the base of the mountain. Three young women arrived whom we had met earlier on the trail, and one of whom was now in emotional and physical distress with an injured ankle. We chatted with her for a bit as she rested and had a hot drink we gave her. My buddy and I had wilderness first aid training from our Boy Scout leadership days, and she asked if we would be willing to look at her ankle to help her decide what to do. The ankle appeared to be sprained. With her consent, we taped and wrapped it, which seemed to help with the pain. We urged her and her group to rest at the cabin for the night rather than attempt the steep 4-mile hike out in the dark. However, she decided to attempt to hike out with her friends but declined our offer of assistance. She accepted the loan of my trekking poles and agreed to inform us of her progress via text where possible. Only after the group left did the gentlemen whom we had met at the cabin and who watched carefully as we assessed her injury and taped it tell us that he was the head emergency room physician at the local hospital. He said he did not offer medical advice since it was not life-threatening and felt our first aid and advice were appropriate. He said If he had offered advice or provided aid, he would have had to assume her as his patient and, along with it, all the legal liabilities of care, decision-making, etc. She safely descended the mountain that night and later told me her ankle was only sprained and there was no severe damage. She also returned my trekking poles.

The second incident occurred on a remote trail in Zion National Park where I was hiking with my wife and a young couple whom we had just met on the trail. Our group came across a young woman sitting on the side of the trail with bad blisters on both feet. Fortunately, I carried the proper items in my first aid kit to render aid. It took some time, but I got her patched up enough so she could more comfortably continue to hike the remaining 5 miles to the trailhead. The young couple whom we had met on the trail stuck around as I attended to her, and it was only after we got back on the trail the young man revealed that he was a physician; he told me the same thing that the physician in my first story told me, that he could not offer advice or render aid because it was not a life-threatening injury and since the aid I rendered was appropriate he said nothing so he would not have to assume her as his patient. And it turns out his hiking companion was a civil rights lawyer!

A fux@&$g doctor, a lawyer and a biting insect PhD walked into a bar…. Sorry wrong joke.
Simuliumvenustum ……..
Do you think you can help Black Fly, the guy that posts here?
;)
IMO, anyone with the name Black Fly needs no help, at least none that I can offer him unless he wants to learn how to let black flies bite him gracefully😉.

As most of you know, I am a prostitu . . . er, lawyer, who used to teach as well as ply my trade.

Back in the 80's and 90's, an ER doctor named Phyllis used to paddle with my whitewater club occasionally. On one trip on a little-paddled section of the Hudson River, one of the canoeists cut his leg and was bleeding. Dr. Phyllis's immediate professional response was: "EWW!".

As the trip leader, I tried to reassure the group that if Dr. Phyllis killed anyone via malpractice on the trip, I would sue her on behalf of the deceased's estate at a discounted rate of $200 per hour. This seemed to calm all fears and to raise confidence, so we were able to continue our trip with happy endorphins.

Coincidentally but absolutely true, Dr. Phyllis used to proudly state that her last name in some language meant prostitute.

It may be a bit early, but this thread seems appropriate for the annual posting of the Black Fly/Simulium Venustum song
Song:

I am a non-medical doctor with an MS & PhD in medical and aquatic entomology. As one may surmise from my avatar and screen name, I am a black fly kind of guy, although I have also dabbled in mosquitoes and other aquatic insects. Despite a nearly 50-year obsession with black flies, I remain fascinated by these incredible creatures. I have worked on pretty much every aspect of their biology, including larval population control, larval and adult behavior and ecology, blood-feeding behavior, genetics, and vector ecology. I also spent 30+ years working as an aquatic biologist, mostly on trout (which are also way cool), for a state wildlife agency.
30 years ago I helped a MS student study low productivity in red-tailed hawks. The culprit was blood parasites transmitted by black flies. https://www.researchgate.net/public...nduced_Mortality_of_Nestling_Red-Tailed_Hawks

I've done a lot of things over 45+ years... carpenter's and mason's helper (my dad, and the mason next door when dad was tired of me), door installer, car salesman, janitor, business agent (trying to sell businesses), and a few others over the years when things were bad. Also owned a cleaning business for a few years.

But mostly it was/is military-related... and then mostly in the Training arena. Spent a number of years on active duty in the Army during the Cold War, which gave me a broad background in a lot of things that came in very useful later on... This in turn led to a niche career in running military exercises for the past 20+ years... some simulations, some live field training. Live are the most fun.

If you think a live simulation was fun try a real war. Maybe wasn’t all fun of course, the adrenaline rush was never far away. The exciting part was that it wasn’t over in a few days. Oh ya, the dead were real not simulated.

The First Aid instructor we sometimes use for my SAR team certs is a professional contractor working for Fort Drum NY army base as a combat medic instructor. A former combat medic himself, he has all kinds of war stories to tell during his teaching that go way beyond the standard civilian training videos. He got permision to take us for a session to the Ft Drum combat medical simulator for one training day. It was a darkened room, with a glassed in control center where instructors control the lights and set off simulated bright light explosions and very loud noises all around. Everyone was given a medical satchel of gear and access to a fully weighted (very heavy) manikin with a variety of very realistic looking severe injuries. Now do what you can to assist survival in that environment. Very cool.

Last edited:
Back