• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Inlet-Cranberry-Lows-Inlet loop

Reaction score
A while back @DuctTape suggested a group trip: "The big idea is a loop from Inlet (on the Oswegatchie) to Cranberry to Lows then down the Oz back to Inlet." For reasons not related to the route, thread was locked.

The segment from Inlet to Wanakena looks pretty rocky, and of course a long portage (or carry for the francophobes :) ) to Lows (via Fishpole Pond Trail?), but otherwise probably not hard?

Any interest? I prefer July or August, but not stuck on it.

I would consider use of this route for acess to Lows this coming summer, since the usual access to Lows will be restricted due to construction work on the lower dam.

The segment from Inlet to Wanakena looks pretty rocky

It is. You might want to start at Wanakena and stash a vehicle there, and finish at Inlet. Or park all vehicles at Wanakena for safety and arrange for a shuttle from Inlet to Wanakena when you finish. One of the businesses in Wanakena used to run shuttles, but I can't recall the name.

Packbasket Adventures?

Google Earth makes it look possibly lineable. Spring would be tougher. Two miles, less and easier than the Fishpole Pond Trail at over three.

Packbasket Adventures?

Google Earth makes it look possibly lineable. Spring would be tougher. Two miles, less and easier than the Fishpole Pond Trail at over three.
I think you are correct with Packbasket. I have heard it is a very bony water passage, but it is possible to portage on land.

The 18 year old me who resides in my brain thinks this is a great idea for a trip. The 70 year old body that houses that brain isn't too sure it can manage that 4 mile carry AND keep up with others without annoying them! Not giving up on the idea, but I'm trying to be realistic about my capabilities.

Maybe I'm the perfect 71 year old with bad knee trek mate. Camp near start on day one. I'm a big believer that any portage early isn't bad, and any portage after 1 or 2 is.

Anyone know if you can use a portage cart on Fishpole Pond Trail?

Yesterday I read a trip report of a 3 generation family trip on this route. Unfortunately I can't find it again to post here. I got the impression that about 50% may be wheelable. The common thread among posts I read was that the trail becomes difficult to find or follow in the area east of Fishpole Pond. However, since each thread reporter made it back to civilization, it is apparently "doable"!

There is an easy stone crossing from the west to east a bit north where you see the outlet from Fishpole narrows a bit. Or, if you come down to the northwest of Darning Needle, you cross a very old open but solid beaver marsh. South of Fishpole, stay on high ground well east of the marshy area, following the contour until it turns easterly and you then get to the hilly mounds leading you south to intersect the jeep trail around Grass Pond. I haven't been up to Fishpole in several years and was not carrying a boat, but unless it has been well brushed out recently, I suspect a cart coiuld be somewhat of a challenge, especailly on the northern half. I remember when that part of trail was first brushed cut , at least a dozen years ago.

Last edited:
Back