I'd definitely prefer George Dyson's giant, family size "baidarka".That would certainly make for an interesting situation if anyone was claustrophobic!
I think their clothes are very buoyant. I was talking with an Inupiat whale hunter a couple years ago and he told me a story where ten men went in the water when their boats capsized. None of them knew how to swim and none had PFDs, but they all survived. Their parkas are typically made from caribou hides and they have hollow hair.i wonder what brand of PFD they are wearing?
"Too thin to plow and too thick to drink".When my wife was pit crewing my Yukon River races, shw had the opportunity to sit with First Nation residents while waiting for us to pass. Most have never learned to swim, unlesss they attended school in Whitehorse which has a large athletic complex with a pool. The silt in the river, especially below Lake Laberge and the confluence of the Teslin it is so thick that it clings to everything and fills pockets and clothing, weighting them down. You cannot see a millimeter into the water and when paddling through, as it sounds like sandpaper or mistuned AM radio static on the bottom of the canoe. Few survive falling into the near freezing waters at any time of year, as my wife was told.
So fun!Yesterday's trip in Boston Harbor. I worked in Boston for 45-years, but this was the first time that I paddled there.




Not to be a Bozo, but a former admin here, Grimaldi, suggested (a capella) that this thread could become a circus if we posted pictures of our dark-hulled, radar-equipped, ocean-going, private super yachts. Thank goodness the kayaker is blocking it.
The Boston Harbor Islands are an incredible playground for sea kayaks! There's great camping to be had and amazing places to explore: ruins of old bunkers and batteries, light houses, the well preserved Fort Warren (built before the Civil War) and myriad pebble beaches.