• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

How to repair thorn holes in a down jacket

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What a dope.

I was wearing my best down jacket. One of those really lightweight and packable ones with a very thin nylon shell. My church and cocktail party jacket.

I decided to use my machete to clear away a lot of overhanging brush from my very long driveway. I'm slashing away without realizing that some of the thin woody branches are sticker bushes with very small thorns. So I get some small tears and puncture holes in the shell.

I know nothing about sewing or repairing fabrics. Any ideas -- not duct tape -- for how to repair this jacket without making it too ugly?

Take a look at sail repair tape. You can get nylon cloth repair tape in a number of colors. It's like duct or gorilla tape, but should be better for repairing a coat. You could also look at McNett Tenacious Tape. I think that Tenacious Tape is intended more for field repairs. In any event, I would probably hand stitch around the edge of the patch with some fine nylon or polyester thread just to keep the patch from pulling away from the fabric. My hand stitching tends to look pretty sloppy, but it holds stuff together.

There is a brand called "Sail Ripair Tape".

Last edited:
"With out making it too ugly" .......the way I figure it, anything I'm wearing has already lost out in any beauty pageant aspect. Maybe Glenn, it's time to embrace your internal ugly! First priority would be retain the down and then have fun. I'd look for some contrasting colorful tape and then give the jacket a novel pokey-dot look.
There are some advantages here: for sure you'd know it's yours, and few would be inclined to steal it!

About the only thing I'd steer clear of are those "iron on patches" . :p

Rob

Besides Kenyon tape you might also hit up an outdoor store where tents are sold. Usually you can find nylon repair tape in those stores for rips in tent flies, tarps, etc. You might also check out a JoAnne's Fabric store if there is one in your area. I was with my wife about a month ago in the Albany store and they had at least 3 dozen varieties of repair tape in various colors, patterns, stripes and even polka dots (Zebra jacket anyone?!?). I was blown away by the choice of repair tape that's currently available. And, if all else fails, I'd suggest you check with your favorite internet search engine. I'm sure Amazon's got something you can use; even if doesn't end up being tape (LOL).

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

Back