• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

How to Prep for a 30 Day Canoe Trip & How to Come Out Alive

I'd like to borrow that photo.

In the middle of our class 3 canyon run this weekend, a giant political campaign banner was strung across the river. :mad: Just another form of pollution, IMO.

Steve, yeah, I don’t need to see or hear that any of crap when I am out paddling.

On long trips I very much enjoy the escape from news and events. I do not carry much in the way of electronics and only “catch up” with the latest politics or disaster when I return. In a place with coverage I am at times dismayed by friends scrolling through their I-Phone devices while in the woods.

Seriously, we’re in the woods together and you are on your F%^$#*& phone? What the heck! I wonder how well that evil device would burn in the campfire?

The “No Politics, Just Canoes” shop sign is my souvenir from a group car camper/day paddling trip with friends from across the political spectrum. I love those people, if not their politics, and seriously, let’s just not go there while we are together and enjoying each other’s company.

Before a group gathering a couple years ago I made signs for everyone’s site registration campsite posts.

24788064358_9eb72d827a_c.jpg
PA063903 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

38604421176_2108171090_c.jpg
PA063904 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

24788060208_0d483906c6_c.jpg
PA063905 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

38660590241_ff363f2727_c.jpg
PA063908 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

38604410156_ee64cd8ab4_c.jpg
PA063906 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I was pleased to see those same signs displayed the following year. And more pleased that politics never broached its devisive head.

One alternate sign did become problematic when a young mom walking the campsite loop with kids in tow foolishly stopped to inquire as requested.

37773035735_32c79a62be_c.jpg
PA063911 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

“Lady, you have kids listening, you don’t want to hear about that”

I started out using a cardboard box to carry the food. And yes my daily paddler on the Rez was a Scott Y stern frieghter. Paddled from the stern eh. It weighed over 100 lbs but I didnt have to portage it so that was not so bad. Before that a double ended Sportpal, 14 foot i think, that I traded a muzzle loader for.

These days it is the beloved Huron, and sometimes the Bruiser, with a plethora of army surplus packs and my favourite chain saw. ( I have a Stihl now). Still cruising the second hand stores for the ideal tripping pants. Been thinking of a medium length dress and some combat boots just to change it up a bit...lol.

30 days to retirement....I have big plans for this summer.

Christine

Good on the retirement Christine. You're a kickass gal on your days off, just think how many more of 'em you could kick with 365/year to play with!
The new alt combat garb sounds about right. Take no prisoners eh?
Sincere congrats,
Brad

Interesting topic, but TTA glossed over the food piece. Probably the most complicated part of planning. I dehydrate most of my food, but longer trips, particularly solo ones. always end up being a challenge. And, 3 large bottles of fuel per person is darned heavy to tote around. I've gone to stick stove lately, still bringing a wet fuel stove for emergencies, but with much less fuel.

An entertaining thread.
Most of us learned by the age of 25 not to make boastful claims in public.

Back