• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

How to Prep for a 30 Day Canoe Trip & How to Come Out Alive

Speaking of things that grate, I found the braggadocios choice of user name grating. However, planning and successfully completing a thirty day canoe trip is nothing to sneeze at, even -- or perhaps especially -- if done in that fugly looking excuse for a canoe! If he sticks around he may have some valuable insights to contribute, at least to the inexperienced folks like me on the site. To be determined.

Speaking of things that grate, I found the braggadocios choice of user name grating. However, planning and successfully completing a thirty day canoe trip is nothing to sneeze at, even -- or perhaps especially -- if done in that fugly looking excuse for a canoe! If he sticks around he may have some valuable insights to contribute, at least to the inexperienced folks like me on the site. To be determined.

Agree.

Alan

However, planning and successfully completing a thirty day canoe trip is nothing to sneeze at, even -- or perhaps especially -- if done in that fugly looking excuse for a canoe! If he sticks around he may have some valuable insights to contribute, at least to the inexperienced folks like me on the site. To be determined.

I hope he carried a full roll of duct tape.. Planning planning...

However, planning and successfully completing a thirty day canoe trip is nothing to sneeze at, even -- or perhaps especially -- if done in that fugly looking excuse for a canoe! If he sticks around he may have some valuable insights to contribute.

Completing a 30 day trip with a square stern Sportspal is by itself quite an achievement. Maybe a unique one; that could have been the supplemental storyline, and opportunity for some humor.

OK, the “Authority” part was off putting, for reasons including a sense of “ownership” in this self-supporting board and community.

But I fear we, including me, have piled on, something I have never before seen on this board, and not a path I want to see continue on Canoe Tripping. There are other paddling boards on which that derisive dog pile is too often the case, and I believe such tone and tenor drives away the folks who only want to give back and contribute.

I have found Canoe Tripping contributors to be accepting, low key, well read and well written, and often self deprecatingly humorous, which serves nicely to take the wind out of any expert-ism-ese.

And, most importantly, this board is a source of the highest quality information.

The experience and wide ranging knowledge base available on this board, and contributor’s willingness to share, is unparalleled online.

By way of expert-ism-ese and bona fides to make such a pronouncement, I have been a contributor to paddling boards since the early days of the Rec.Boats.Paddle newsgroup (late 1980’s?) and I have seen nothing quite like Canoe Tripping in 35 years of canoe message boards.

I have learned more, had more questions answered, received more proven-to-work recommendations and been-there solutions since joining Canoe Tripping than I would have thought possible.

Eric, get to know these folks, read some archived threads, use the search function for any key word that interests you, ask questions. . . . .maybe change your log-in name.

I have generally not found it much more difficult to plan for a 30-day trip than a 7-day trip. Either way, I need to prepare for all kinds of weather. I need the same amount of clothes. I need the same gear. I need the same first aid kit. I need the same repair kit. The only real difference is that I need more food. All Kathleen and I do is repeat the week-long batch of food four times. I could even extend the comparison to a three-day trip. I need the same gear, clothes, first aid and repair. Only the amount of food differs.

And Mr McC i remember your reviews in Canoe and Kayak or maybe it was Paddler?
There was always one I thought you should have considered but woe the limitations of allocated print space

I have generally not found it much more difficult to plan for a 30-day trip than a 7-day trip. Either way, I need to prepare for all kinds of weather. I need the same amount of clothes. I need the same gear. I need the same first aid kit. I need the same repair kit. The only real difference is that I need more food. All Kathleen and I do is repeat the week-long batch of food four times. I could even extend the comparison to a three-day trip. I need the same gear, clothes, first aid and repair. Only the amount of food differs.

Having gradually transitioned from 6 - 7 day trips to 6 - 7 week trips I concur 100%, more food and more smokes is really the only difference in terms of preparation. The only trips where I carry less gear is a short trip with a group where I can can rely on others to provide some of the required gear such as kitchen, water filtration etc.

The only trips where I carry less gear is a short trip with a group where I can can rely on others to provide some of the required gear such as kitchen, water filtration etc.

Other than family trips, where I plan and checklist what comes and in which boat, I will always be completely self sufficient in gear, including tent, tarp, stove, filter, food and etc. Even on family trips everyone has their own tent, clothes, sleeping bag and necessities in their canoe, and the food is usually apportioned out in at least two of the four canoes.

On group trips we will discuss who is bringing some community item or is responsible for what meal, but I still bring everything I need as if I was solo.

Well, do to a heavy work load and other commitments I seemed to have lost track of this thread. It seems to my simple mind that things started to take a twist in the conversation. Part of the original problem was his post got bumped off of the board somehow and then came back but in multiple posts, A technology hiccup which is a mystery to this day. Regardless and I am saying this as a member of this unique board I would have thought that there would have been thicker skins on existing members when it comes to newcomers to the site. One of the reasons I took over maintaining the board was because of the comaraderie in our love of the canoe and where it brings us all whether is be a projects or a trips.

I am hoping that Eric will continue to post as everyone of us has something to share with our experiences. My hope in looking over the board is that I don't have to look too hard due to the nature of all of the posters comments. I really dislike having to bring this up but as Admin it's important to me that all are welcomed here as I was not too many years past.

dougd

Last edited:
Its not our skins that need toughening.. Its the teenage attitude. I don't think any one of us would characterize ourselves as the ultimate tripping authority. Eric just needs to mature a little. This does not make him a bad guy. There are a number here who routinely do long trips in really remote area. Their experience shows.. I remember when I started out I thought two weeks in Temagami was really out there. 40 years later my perspective has changed. I believe everyone knows what was in the video and it to me is definitely for a different audience.. A neophyte audience. And yes there are those but I don't know if they are on here.

Though I would love to know how many portages he did with that thing in 30 days. And if he ever dropped it on the Napoleon Portage

Odyssey I have 500 acres of forest in back of my house. I went for just a dayhike.. I managed to get lost cause it was just a day hike. I was lucky the sun was out. My corpse could still be there.

I was gonna write something long and explaining my points... But not worth the effort. The Tripping Authority is a name that even after more than 30 years of tripping and in places where not many have set foot and in conditions that some time I would rather forget, I would never pretend i'm an Authority in anything... I find it pretentious but heck that is just a name after all and he said he has lots of experience so all is good!!

I think life would be easier if every one would just use there real names on places like here!!

Just my 2 cents...

My longest trip was 22 days thus I don't qualify for the longevity award. But I have learned that extended trips require one to pack noticeably more scotch whiskey. The last several days of my longest journey saw me rationing my nightly ritual to avoid running out before the end of the trip. A man should not have to do such a thing.

I'm surprised, Holmes, that the week or so before your trip, that you didn't monitor your average nightly consumption. You could have then simply multiplied by 22, and then add an extra two nights. Life on the canoe trip would have been perfect.

Well, strangely enough, I only partake when camping in the mountains. I like a couple o' fingers while I'm enjoying a campfire or a sunset. My only civilized imbibing occurs during holiday get togethers. My friends all think me a bit odd but that's only because they know me... ;)

Some things were made to go together like star gazing and woodsmoke, hot days and cold beer, Christmas cake and Irish whiskey.
A good bottle of Irish will last me all year. I tipple sparingly as a little can go a long way, except when my wife makes Christmas fruit cake. A small pour over the aging loaf soaks it gently to keep it moist. I'd always been very fond of my wife's fruit cake until the year I sampled one offered by a dear late friend of ours. She would bring back a precious cake made by her mother from her visits to the old country of Ireland and regale us with stories of the goings on in her native village. Whispers at tea parties and socials (and knees ups) would pass judgement on who's recipe this year was too soggy or too dry, too rich or too bland. We were told her mother's was always the best, and who am I to argue? It was outstanding!! Rich and flavourful, and just enough Irish whiskey to make you squint. Ha. (And ask for a second piece.) But there'll be no more of that since we lost our dear friend this summer. We'll miss her sunshine smile, her tinkling laughter and the way she curled and spun those loving stories with a lilting gaelic tongue. And of course we'll miss her Mam's Christmas cake.
My wife baked a loaf just last weekend, and the heavenly aroma filled the house all afternoon. A new bottle of Jameson Caskmates (Stout Edition) sits on the Welsh sideboard in the kitchen. I waited patiently for the first offerings to go towards the cake, while my own small glass waited till this evening. I'm having my first sip as I write this now. The cake won't be ready until Christmas at the earliest. It needs time to mature. Some years we've made two loaves, one enjoyed throughout the winter and the second savoured sparingly through the summer. It goes particularly well on a canoe trip with coffee in hand sitting under the stars. And like any good thing we love, whether whiskey, cake or friendship, the difficulty is to appreciate it while we can and treasure it's memory when it's gone. Sláinte.

Last edited:
I was gonna write something long and explaining my points... But not worth the effort. The Tripping Authority is a name that even after more than 30 years of tripping and in places where not many have set foot and in conditions that some time I would rather forget, I would never pretend i'm an Authority in anything... I find it pretentious but heck that is just a name after all and he said he has lots of experience so all is good!!

I think life would be easier if every one would just use there real names on places like here!!

Just my 2 cents...

Agree.. Now I do think you are an authority on hunting by canoe and would hire you if I had the chance to go moose hunting.. Heck I can't even shoot a gun

Now as to the whiskey thing.. No no for me on solo trips.. Too many ways I can kill myself while tipsy and no one would know

I'm with you, Mike. Kathleen and I always bring everything, except on a day trip, of course. Nothing wrong with being over prepared.

I don’t even think of it as over prepared. I have been awfully happy to have all the gear and food I need on group trips where someone bailed at the last second, left the group meal they signed up for behind or brought an 8x10 tarp for six people. I got this.

If that means that I carry a larger-than-solo tarp, some extra food, stove, filter, repair kit. . . .so be it..

Agree.. Now I do think you are an authority on hunting by canoe and would hire you if I had the chance to go moose hunting.. Heck I can't even shoot a gun

Now as to the whiskey thing.. No no for me on solo trips.. Too many ways I can kill myself while tipsy and no one would know

Hahaha, it is just luck... Moose hunting is mostly being at the right place at the right time... Most importantly it's being out there! Believe me I'm no authority!!

But I fear we, including me, have piled on, something I have never before seen on this board, and not a path I want to see continue on Canoe Tripping. There are other paddling boards on which that derisive dog pile is too often the case, and I believe such tone and tenor drives away the folks who only want to give back and contribute.
Regardless and I am saying this as a member of this unique board I would have thought that there would have been thicker skins on existing members when it comes to newcomers to the site. One of the reasons I took over maintaining the board was because of the comaraderie in our love of the canoe and where it brings us all whether is be a projects or a trips.

I am hoping that Eric will continue to post as everyone of us has something to share with our experiences. My hope in looking over the board is that I don't have to look too hard due to the nature of all of the posters comments. I really dislike having to bring this up but as Admin it's important to me that all are welcomed here as I was not too many years past.

I am a member here as well as a few other sites of the same genre where I see many of you post as well. CanoeTripping.net is my favorite because of the good manners and lack of "derisive dog pile" that is prevalent elsewhere. Combine that with the immense knowledge and experience that some of these guys and gals willingly share, and it's a winner all the way around.

However off-putting Eric's username is for many of us, it matches his youtube channel and I think, if nothing else, the combination of the two shows enthusiasm and that is something we can all use plenty of. My username is likewise foolish and if there is a way to change it count me in too please. On another note, please do not use this site solely as a means to promote your youtube channel. I do not know if you are making any money off of it yet but this is not a place for commercial ventures. Now a story about enthusiasm from last night:

I have been in Minnesota for the last few days, deer hunting with family on private land as I have my entire life. We are predominantly meat hunters that shoot does when the population is up like this year, but mature bucks are taken when the opportunity presents itself. We had 8 hunters this weekend but only tagged one deer and saw few others. A bow hunter has been paying a trespass fee to my uncle to hunt on his land this year. This year was the first time anything like this has happened and hopefully the last. Many of our common practices with the land such as not driving 4 wheelers/trucks in to the property in the fall and not disturbing a couple key bedding areas at all until the last weekend of season were being violated by this newcomer regularly before rifle season even opened. We all took notice and were all very upset with him for many reasons and blamed our absent doe herd on his activities. He did not have permission to hunt opening weekend of the rifle season as that is when most of our family is around, but he did come over last night and hunt. My heart absolutely sank when I heard a rifle shot come from his direction at 4:44 last night, and even more so when another one came 13 minutes later, which affirmed to me that he didn't know what he was doing. My hunt was ruined and my blood was boiling. In the end, he asked my uncle the property owner to help him load the buck on his 4 wheeler, which he had by then driven off of our improved trails in this key bedding area before the end of shooting light within a quarter mile of two other people trying to hunt. My uncle asked me to help too and I agreed if only for the opportunity to vent my rage directly to the culprit. When we found him and his 4 wheeler, there was a dead 9 point buck about 40 yards from a stand that another uncle had been in earlier that evening. (He had chose to move when he saw the newcomer approaching through the woods. The newcomer then set up his climbing stand on the same deer trail my uncle had been hunting, less than 100 yards away) After we arrived, he made it clear that he did not know how to gut the animal and required assistance with that, too. The real cherry-on-top came after we loaded his wheeler for him as the battery was dead and there was no pull cord. Somehow, I kept my composure, was polite, and even helped him.

The smile on his face, the enthusiasm about his kill, and the obvious sense of accomplishment he had when we approached softened me, and in the end humbled me immensely. He did not know about the hunter that he had bumped earlier in the evening. He did not know about our rules that he had broken again and again. He did not understand the importance of leaving bedding areas alone in this part of heavily hunted, privately-held Minnesota. He certainly did not know that there were 8 other hunters furious with him.

While I have many choice words for the property owner, I did not give the hunter a piece of my mind. It would only have soured his experience. Yes, in the future, I will make sure nothing like this happens again, but in the moment I had nothing to gain.

No matter how badly someone rubs you the wrong way, step back and look at it from their point of view and you might have a change of heart.

Back