• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

How exensive is your canoe?

All I can say is wow. Did you read the comments? They really get after him and the canoe.
He's not far from me, 45 minutes or so. I want to see the paddles dipped in liquid bronze, I would think temps would char the heck out of a paddle. I certainly wouldn't want to paddle all day with one, they must be heavy.
Jim

That is a beauty in many ways. I do sort of agree with the guy who was razing about the mounted compass, but the finish is gorgeous.

I'd think some of that weight is from using aromatic Cedar. Denser wood. I'd consider it for accents, perhaps, but not the whole boat. I do like that color.

Also noticed that the proportions make it seem long, and if you follow some of the links to his instagram feed, you'll see that this is indeed a 20' hull. About 1.5x hull surface compared to a 16', assuming the draft is similar. Closer to 2x if the draft is deeper in proportion. Plus, probably a slightly beefier layup than standard 1x 6oz. If one removed to bronze accents, this is starting to sound like a believable weight for the hull, maybe a bit heavy, but not insanely so, especially if he built for use on larger, saltwater conditions.

The comments after the article are kind of reflective of the typical internet ugliness. I think it's a beauty, would paddle the crap out of it. My big 20 footer is around 120 pounds, bombproof, and ugly as sin compared to that one. When building big canoes, double layering of the glass is necessary just because of the big areas covered.
Those comments really bother me....it wasn't that long ago when 150 pounds was not an unheard of weight for a canoe.....I'm sure a big EM White Guide canoe started to get into the weight category after soaking up water into the planks for a month or two.

The comments are something that I laugh at as its so obvious that the posters have no canoe experience. Many many canoes go over 150 lbs. And a compass in the bow is neat.. Its often found on kayaks.
A beautiful Grand Laker is more than that heavy and for sure wooden canoes of substance do not break when they hit a rock. Voyageur canoes were that heavy and continue to be.. ( camps often have them. Winona, where Maine Canoe Symposium is , has two.

I don't care for all the different woods in the canoe but so what? There is a personal reason for them being there. Just as there is a personal reason you like one thing and I don't cause I like another. Again so what?

Those comments bother me too. Too many ignorant internet trolls expounding on their (limited) experience and (foolish) opinions, and in this case entirely missing the point. At no time does the builder voice any intention to build the "perfect canoe". No. Instead he shares his individual artistic intent to put his late father's woodworking tools to good use, and follow a personal dream of "paddling his own canoe." Paying respects to the past and looking to the future deserves quieter tongues and kinder words. After all, even First Nations bark canoes were often embellished with personal touches. Watch Cesar Newashish make his canoe : https://www.nfb.ca/film/cesars_bark_canoe

ps I do have to agree that the Preszler canoe is a bit extravagant.

Last edited:
Back