• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

How about some swim stories/photos

Goonstroke's picture of the iron grip on the Zav reminds me of a swim I took on Stonycreek River. I was, perhaps, a better swimmer than I was a canoeist. I think that was due to the frequency of my swimming.

So, I'm floating through what remained of that rapid and was pretty proud of myself and my swimming form: Floating on my back, feet first, canoe painter in one hand and paddle in the other. The rapid was approaching a pool and I got my feet down and began moving to the side, but something was amiss. The current was removing my shorts! I thought, oh, my, this will be embarrassing, quickly followed by the thought, my truck keys are in the shorts, don't let them go! So, I had a choice, let go of the paddle or let go of the canoe, but save the shorts!

I was paddling with a group that day and knew they'd be able to track down the boat. Paddles (a black Aquabound), on the other hand, are better at finding hiding places along the river bank and are less easy to recover. The shorts were olive drab and would blend into the riverscape. Not much chance of recovering them. So, I let the boat go and exited the river with my paddle, shorts, and dignity, though ashamed to have let my boat go. The boat didn't make it far and was quickly returned by members of the group.

Already self incriminated, one more embarrassing swim tale can’t hurt.

Another off-season group trip down my homeriver, Gunpowder Falls. The river was up a bit and the day had passed too quickly. The group decided to take a leg stretcher just above our take out and enjoy each other’s laughter and company as long as possible.

I was unaccustomedly paddling sweep, and as I came down I spied the group already standing ashore on a cobble bar. Deciding to make a grand entrance I paddled at some speed, parallel towards the shallow bank, expecting to triumphantly step out dry foot in wave wash.

I hit an unseen root ball ½” below the surface and over I went. Hard to really call it a swim in knee deep water. But, eh, I emerged quite wet.

Fortunately I had a dry bag of spare clothes. Not just any dry bag of spare clothes. A dry bag containing proper spare clothes for me, and a “clown suit” of spare clothes for anyone in need but unprepared.

The “clown suit” was a Goodwill purchased ensemble of, IIRC, plaid golfer pants, a hideous patterned shirt, checked poly blazer jacket (with a feather boa sewn into the lapels), neon green suspenders, one red sock & one blue sock and a fur trimmed hat.

I did include wool gloves and warming long underwear tops and bottom. I really am a nice guy, always looking out for my friends.

Over the course of a decade of carrying that ensemble no one ever deigned to wear it, no matter how cold and wet they might be. It was largely counterproductive, although everyone quickly learned to bring their own spare clothes.

I was tired of needlessly carrying that Clown Suit; the time was now. Screw it, I donned the full ensemble.

Still left in the punishment dry bag was a friends Goodwill offering, a voluminous Bridemaid’s dress. Topher volunteered, or maybe was forcibly stuffed into that dress. Once ensconced in that lime green moo moo Topher, wearing a PFD with ample chest floatation, adjusted it so it sat bugling over his belly. Topher looked like he was 9 months preggers.

Topher and I were laughing, Sailor Jerry toasting and posing for “wedding photos” on the bank when I heard a dog bark. Up the riverside trail came a local landowner, another Mike, whom I had met several times. Mike was not fond of the rowdy summertime crowds floating past his home, but he and I had got on well in the past.

Even his dog stopped and stared, both looking at us WTF stunned. The look on Mike’s face, when he recognized me, was priceless. Embarrassing as heck, but priceless.

I avoided the take out next to Mike’s home for the next few years.

My companions insisted (I wasn’t driving the back shuttle) that we stop in at a local tavern, where I likewise had some local presence, on the route back to the put in. Thank goodness I keep a $20 in my PFD pocket, I was due to buy a round.

Karen and I have been paddling frequently the past 5 years and before that occasionally. Until this past Memorial Day weekend we had never upset or got wet. Not that we didn't come close many times. On our first Allagash trip we navigated a disconcertingly long stretch of Chase Rapids backwards, somehow got turned back around right side to, and finished the run without taking on a drop. So clearly, we are just lucky.

This year we've made an effort to day paddle/explore Vermont rivers, trying to build our quick water skills. Our old 1999 guide book refers to the White River as the most demanding. We decided to give it a try. Water levels had dropped enough that the upper sections did not seem like a good bet, so on Saturday we put in in Bethel and took out in Sharon, an 11.75 mile trip. The book said there were numerous Class II transverse ledges, a river feature we had not encountered before. We had a thoroughly uneventful, wonderful trip.

The next section of river to West Hartford was described in the book as a bit more challenging, with more frequent ledge drops and an old dang with a hydraulic strong enough to "pin a canoe". We decided to give it a try Monday, putting in in S. Royalton (halfway point on Saturday's trip) so we could tune up before hitting new water. The put in in S. Royalton is into a deep pool, below a bridge and just above a 1.5 foot ledge drop. Karen got situated at the bow and our dog Libby jumped in behind her. Then I had my dumb spell. I got in without first getting Libby settled in front of Karen, where she likes to be and where she does'nt effect the boat much. At the exact instant Karen turns back over her right shoulder to ask me a question, Libby tries to assume her normal position by passing Karen to her left. Karen, understandably, completely loses balance. We tip hard left and take on water, then way hard right, taking on a lot more water. It is truly surprising how quickly you can sink a canoe when that happens, and that's what happened, Karen and I both still in the boat. Libby decides to swim to a high spot on the ledge in the middle of the river. Karen and I swim the canoe to shore. Libby disobeys my command to "stay", and makes it back to us while coming uncomfortably close to going over the ledge.

We were cold, wet and rattled, and called it a day.

On Saturday when we canoed by that spot there were at least 30 people there. When we went swimming, no one. That was fortunate for the embarrassment factor, but I have to admit I'd pay good, hard earned money to view any available video!

Attachments

• photo16917.jpg
    photo16917.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 1
Already self incriminated, one more embarrassing swim tale can’t hurt.

Topher and I were laughing, Sailor Jerry toasting and posing for “wedding photos” on the bank when I heard a dog bark. Up the riverside trail came a local landowner, another Mike, whom I had met several times. Mike was not fond of the rowdy summertime crowds floating past his home, but he and I had got on well in the past.

Can we please see the wedding photos?

Can we please see the wedding photos?

I will try. Screw it, I ain’t proud; I wear overalls and fuzzy Croc slipper to the country store in winter. There were multiple wedding photographers present on that trip, hopefully someone can find a digital copy. I’d like to see those nuptial ensembles again; I still wear that fur trimmed hat.

That was the second time I have been polygamously married off on a trip. My previous “wife” wasn’t as hirsute, or as noticeably pregnant.

Assateague Trip. As I finished checking in at the Ranger station for a permit the Ranger pointed out the window at Joel, walking along the distant dune line, and said “Your wife will need to come in and sign too”.

I opened the door to the Ranger Station, yelled “SWEETIKINS, YOU NEED TO COME INSIDE AND SIGN”, and stepped aside to await the results.

Joel remains convinced this “Married by a Federal Official” has some beneficial opportunity. I think he’s just after my Social Security, or hopes we can’t be forced to testify against each other.

I don’t even remember who the swimmer was, or how he managed to capsize on flat, still water, but the look on his face says it all.

IMG002 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

OK, another one. Paddling the basically flat Snake River through Grand Teton National Park. I was paddling a nice open section (much of the river has snags to worry about), and I saw some thunderclouds approaching. So, I'm in my Wenonah C1W, a 15" deep solo downriver racing design (somewhat tippy), and rather than pulling over to put my raingear on (it was a lazy section of river after all, which I had paddled numerous times before), I throw on half of my pants and then start putting on my rain jacket. So I'm putting on my jacket, sort of looking down futzing with the zipper, and the squall hits me broadside, flipping me immediately. I stay with the boat, hooking a leg over the gunnel and backpaddling on my back with my bentshaft paddle (which actually works pretty well), paddling/swimming the boat to shore. It works, but I go a lot farther downriver than I expected. I don't think the rain hit, but as I was wet, it didn't really matter anyway.

More swim photos

I finally got around to scanning some old 35mm print photos. Well, I didn’t scan them, I had one of my son’s do it for me.

Amongst them are some vintage 35mm swim photos, from back in the day. The 60’s-70’s PFD-less Grumman days, nuff said about that ignorance..

Rusty and Nancy on a Pocomoke tributary muckle-up.

EK_0017 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

They inexplicably overturned seconds later (or maybe not inexplicably, look at their pre-capsize positions in the canoe). The identity of handsome skinny dude, lazily reclined on the far left while filling a bowl, may be obvious to those who knew that guy back then. From that calm muckle-up to this, in a split second

EK_0016 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I love Nancy’s WTF expression in that photo.

Leo and Alex, on the equally placid Black River swamp. I was paddling solo out front, heard the distinctive crashboombang of a full on overturned capisize, and paddled back upstream to find this recovery in process.

EK_0019 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I have no idea how they accomplished that capsize, although Alex did look good in a wet linen blouse, and I wouldn’t put a deliberate soaking past Leo.

A most memortable swim. At the very start of a Canoe Orienteering event a trio in a three seat OT paddled thirty feet out from the launch, attempted to pivot in the tidal waves, and instantly turned turtle. I was the judge, I wasn’t paddling, I didn’t have a canoe or, more importantly, a freaking throw rope. OK, it was a tad February windy that day.

EK_0009 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Given them this much credit, other paddles got them ashore, they changed into dry clothes and they headed back out. And had a respectable points finish. (The Missus and sons had an unbeatable strategy for that Orienteering Contest, and nabbed first points place for several years running)

And, one of my favorites, son Cooper, seconds after taking First Place in a oddball Canoe Olympics Contest; this oddball event part being the solo paddler contest, kneeling as far forward in the bow as possible, with the canoe / behind you, out around the buoy and back.

EK_0007 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Cooper, playing faithfully by the rules, was kid-wedged as far forward as possible in a 10’ 6” Dagger Tupelo, with 90% of the hull waggling behind him in the air, and absolutely spanked the nearest adult contestant seen in the background. Note that no other contestant had even rounded the buoy when he crossed the finish line.

EK_0003 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

The normally seated folks off to the side are our finish line judges, JSaults and Brian. The runner up trailing in the background is Joel, who, to this day, swears he let Cooper win.

Gawd those silly Canolympics contests were fun. As were the Canoe Orienteering contests.

I have taken many, many swims. The vast majority of these have been on whitewater rivers but I have managed to fall out of canoes on flat water and easy Class I rivers at least three times that I can recall. None of my swims have been preserved on film or photographs, thank God. The majority of swims I have taken have been relatively brief without much threat to life or limb and in at least 95% of cases I self-rescued without losing boat or paddle. But I have lost a few nice fleece tops, gloves, and shoes that were poorly secured. For some reason when I loose gloves or shoes it is always the right-hand one.

Three swims I took on whitewater were very memorable and potentially life-threatening and in each case I had no assistance available. I will relate each in a separate post since the descriptions are somewhat long.

Whitewater paddlers in the Southeast will undoubtedly be familiar with the Hiwassee River. It is frequently used as a training river for beginning whitewater paddlers and is usually a pretty tame Class II-II+ dam release 5 mile run. Far less well known is the portion of the river just upstream of the powerhouse that releases at the top of that run. That is because the stream bed is nearly always completely de-watered. The TVA diverts water from the "dries of the Hiwassee" through a very large pipe conduit that can nearly always handle all the flow mother nature can provide. So when the "dries" are runnable the water level will nearly always be different one time to another, so paddler experience can be highly variable for those few who have run it. It only stays up for a day or two, so it is very much a catch as catch can run. Another feature is that whenever the river does run, water is flowing very briskly through mature trees at the sides of the river, and there are even saplings growing in the middle of the stream bed in places.

I used to paddle with a friend in Tennessee who long ago died of heart disease. He had had a wild hair to run the dries for a long time and had solicited advice and info from a handful of people who had run it. Unfortunately, the assessments varied widely, partly as a result of different levels of paddler expertise, but largely due to the fact that the natural discharge had undoubtedly varied greatly for the various different runs. Assessments varied from "don't bother, its not worth the trouble" to "stay away, it is a death trap". Advice on possible put-ins and how to reach them was also highly variable. The only thing that everybody agreed on was that there was one rapid called "Hollywood Bowl" that was a mandatory portage, but nobody agreed on exactly how far into the run it was situated, probably because different groups had put on at different locations.

My friend undaunted, bided his time and waited for one of the rare opportunities to run the dries. He shall remain nameless since he is no longer around to protect his reputation but I will call him "Dave". When the opportunity came, Dave quickly recruited me and another paddler named Jack Wright, all of us paddling open boats. Dave picked his companions with care. He chose me for my stupidity, knowing I was dumb enough to go along with his scheme. He chose Jack for his paddling expertise since Jack had been one of the group of pioneers that first paddled the Gauley River in West Virginia in hard boats after the construction of Summersville Dam in 1968. Jack Wright had later paddled the Gauley in open boats and I believe he is credited as being the first paddler to do so.

Although the put-in location was as unclear as the route to get to it, the take out options were obvious. The smart thing to do would have been to park vehicles at the powerhouse above the usual 5 mile run. Of course, this is not what we elected to do. Whenever the dries of the Hiwassee has enough water to run, the lower section is ripping and easily rates a Class III+. But we had all run that stretch many times and felt pretty comfortable paddling it at high water so we left cars at the bottom of the 5 mile stretch at Reliance, TN. Of course, nobody was paddling that 5 mile stretch on this particular day. We were totally on our own.

We made a number of wrong turns searching for the put-in that Dave had decided on, so by the time we got going it was much later in the day than we had hoped. Needless to say, we had no support, and no possibility of help with rescues down stream, apart from the three of us. Since Dave had organized this particular debacle, I guess he felt responsible enough to take the lead as we started the run. I followed him and Jack Wright, in his considerable wisdom, chose to follow at a bit of a distance behind the two probes ahead of him. The going was initially quite easy with only a few straightforward Class II rapids, but we were all a little on edge not knowing just where we would come across Hollywood Bowl. Suddenly Dave, who was about 25 yards ahead of me, gesticulated frantically toward the river right bank and started paddling in that direction for all he was worth. About 10 yards before he made it, he dropped out of sight over a horizon line that I had failed to appreciate up until that point. I had enough warning and distance that I am pretty sure I could have reached the right bank which would have been the intelligent option. So I passed on that, imagining that I could do a "fly by" near the edge of the drop, getting close enough to see over the edge before swinging the boat upstream and executing a strong forward ferry. I got close enough to see that Dave and his canoe had gone over a roughly 6 foot drop and he and his boat were now stuck in a big hole. I realized that the current was probably too strong for me to reach the right bank anyway and so quickly came up with a ridiculous plan to try to knock Dave and his boat out of the hole. Predictably this resulted in two paddlers and two boats stuck in the same hole. Dave came out of his boat and was ejected from the hole but his canoe stayed in and was getting tumbled. Dave was able to hold onto his paddle. I did not stay in my boat much longer and found myself swimming in the hole along with two canoes which were getting tumbled. I took some solace in the knowledge that the hole was not a keeper, since it had spit Dave out, but I was reluctant to let go of the canoes because there was no hope of downstream rescue. The canoes had enough flotation that they seemed reluctant to be spit out anytime soon. I figured that if I could hold onto the painters long enough that either I or one of the canoes would eventually exit the hole and drag out what remained, assuming I could hold on. But I had a difficult decision to make. It would have been much easier to hang onto my boat and let Dave's go rather than try to swim and self rescue with two swamped canoes. But that would have condemned Dave to a long walk out and probably a lost boat, and it did not seem Kosher to hang onto my boat and let go of his. And I wasn't going to let go of my (actually my wife's) relatively new canoe.

Well eventually the two boats and me did get out of the hole, but I don't recall the exact sequence of exit. But the 6 foot drop was just the beginning of this "mandatory portage" rapid. There were multiple other smaller but substantial drops and holes that followed. I hung on for dear life and tried to stay upstream of the boats. But I was now swimming with two waterlogged canoes a river that I had never paddled or scouted, that was flowing briskly through trees along both banks. It was very difficult to see downstream far enough to spot a location at which I could safely get the boats through the tree maze over to the bank and still have time to execute that maneuver. So I went downstream a good ways, over a mile, before I was able to get myself and the boats out of the current. I then lay on the bank and vomited a number of times.

Meanwhile, Jack Wright observing what had happened reached the right bank and took out. My friend Dave, unencumbered by boats, was able to swim to the right bank a short distance below Hollywood Bowl, although he was a bit shaken up from the swim. Both he and Jack had to climb a fairly steep bank to some train tracks, Jack dragging his canoe along with him. They then had to make their way a good distance down the tracks to rendezvous with me. By the time they did so it was already pretty late in the day.

We knew that if we didn't hurry it would be dark before we got to the powerhouse. None of us were eager to run the lower Hiwassee in the dark at its present level but none of us really wanted to walk the 5 miles from the powerhouse to the cars either. But we were now all rather spooked and at least Dave and I were rather spent. So we wound up scouting just about every rapid we couldn't see the bottom of from the water, and portaged a couple that we would have run under other circumstances. So by the time we got to the powerhouse is was really, really dark and we still had a five mile paddle in high water to get to the cars. The paddle was memorable, and thank goodness nobody swam. We could not see the rapids until we were on them even going as slowly as we could, and could only identify their locations by sound. But we were familiar with all of them and their sequence, which saved us. We made that 5 mile run in 45 minutes, well over a 6.5 mph pace, going as slowly as we could manage.

I don't believe Jack Wright ever paddled with us again after that experience.

Last edited:
Three swims I took on whitewater were very memorable and potentially life-threatening and in each case I had no assistance available. I will relate each in a separate post since the descriptions are somewhat long.

Looking forward to the tale of swim #'s 2 and 3.

I found a few more post-swim photos, including one of a companion sprinting heck bent and fully saturated down an ankle deep river trying to catch his still upright canoe. heck, his dog was still aboard, and still dry. I'll ask one of my sons to scan them in.

Two swim stories come to mind.

The first one occurred in the early 2000's when myself and two others set out to paddle the Lower Temagami river in Ontario. While my companions had run it multiple times, this was my first outing on it. We were on Thistle Lake as we paddle to the outflow of the river, checking out each others rides. One paddling solo in a Mad River Explorer, the other in an inflatable kayak dubbed "the rubber ducky" and myself in a new to me 13ft Sun Velocity kayak. The topic of stability came up and as I started to brag about mine I gave it a few rocks with my hips and proceeded to dump right over the side. I quickly popped up to the surface, the cool water calming my flushing face and I awkwardly swam it to a nearby island to dump it out. Not only did I learn not to be so cocky, I also discovered that those hatches were not water tight at all. Thankfully I had packed in dry bags. The rest of the trip went well and no more embarrassing moments.

The second notable swim happened in 2007 on the Kesagami River which runs north of Cochrane Ontario into James Bay. I usually hear this story repeated from my companions point of view so it will have mixed perspectives.

This is a trip I had dreamed up the year before but with no success in finding a partner to join me it was pushed to a back burner. Over lunch one day, in the Congo of all places, I casually tossed it out there to someone and they bit. My partner on this trip was in their mid forties and had not been in a canoe since they were my age. I believe I was 25 at the time and having completed a 30 day Outward Bound program a couple years prior that including river tripping and swift water rescue, I felt confident in my ability to coordinate all the logistics, equipment and get them up to speed, the power of youth. Their on water training only began when our canoe first met the water after an outfitter shuttle dropped us off. (A story of its own as it was on the wrong lake and we neither knew which one nor had a GPS) In the time prior to this and the first several days of the trip on generally still waters, I continually drove it into them about river safety and what to do if we dumped. This included me regurgitating what I had learned about not trying to grab onto the canoe when you are in the water in the middle of a rapid and to always keep your feet up so that they don't get snagged under a rock and the current push you over.

Once we were on the river proper after its outflow on Kesagami Lake, we had a good couple days on class I+ and II that built our confidence for the bigger water. We stopped and scouted one rapid in particular near an S in the river. It involved 2 drops that would require a specific line to make it from the first to the second followed by another run of rapids that petered out as they approached the next bend. Our line did not happen. We went over the first drop at the wrong angle and submarined the bow of the canoe. Laden with water as we hit drop #2 we rolled sideways and were ejected into the water along with our gear. **My companion recounts how during all my rapid safety tips he often asked how will I not get my feet stuck under the seat. I would reply "they just don't". As he was pitched into the water he thought to himself, "hey he was right!".

I found myself in the lead as I bobbed and bounced ahead. Doing my best to keep my toes at the surface, by bottom took the brunt of the rocks as I sped along. This was our first dump, I knew my partner was inexperienced and that we really were in the middle of nowhere with no way to get help if we needed it, my concern was that we both get out of this quickly and safely. I managed to look back over my shoulder at my partner who was inexplicably further behind me than I expected. I could see the boat beside them and as I was swept around the corner I yelled as loud as I could over the sound of the water "Let go of the F***ing canoe!!!!!". Around the bend I found an eddy and got into it. I managed to collect one of the bags and a paddle that had accompanied my drift and I slogged back around the bend on the shore. There was my partner dragging the last of the barrels out of the water and putting them beside the canoe up against the shore. **My companion recounts how shortly after realizing they were not in fact going to be trapped by their feet in the canoe he found himself in a calm spot on the side of the river. Tentatively putting his feet down and to delight found that it was a nice gravel bottom and only a few feet deep. Just then something gently bumped up against them from behind. Turning around, there was the canoe joining them in the eddy. They took hold of the side of it and looked onwards as I was whisked around the corner yelling my expletive instructions back at them. "Let go of the canoe?" they thought, "why, I'm just standing here"

With our confidence moistened we portaged the next few before getting back into our groove. Definitely a trip stories are made from.

RyanR

Last edited:
myself in a new to me 13ft Sun Velocity kayak

Great stories. You have reminded me of a truly stupid self-own swim.

Long ago (1988) I was in Big Bend NP, planning a multiday trip down Boquillas Canyon. I had my new-to-me Old Town Pack, which I had previously test paddled once, briefly, on a small pond. I thought perhaps I should do a more realistic test paddle before heading off down canyon, so I did a 5 mile day trip down Hot Springs Canyon, putting some gear aboard the Pack for better tripping representation.

The little Pack did very nicely; I was lighter back then, as was my backpacking-style gear load. Approaching Hot Springs, where my truck awaited, I got a wild hair and thought “Hummm, I wonder how well the Pack leans on its chines?”

Several mistakes were made. The Pack is very flat bottomed, and it takes some effort to lean it over, especially if you remain seated and don’t kneel. So much effort that I shoved my paddle into the gear pile, grabbed the gunwales with either hand and forced the Pack onto its side.

The Pack, and I, and my gear, rode nicely there cocked over / . For a while. But, with no paddle in hand, I had no way to right the ship. I was on the knife-edge of just barely balanced, and any slight movement promised a swim.

As I was pondering this dilemma I rounded the corner just above Hot Springs. There is a small class 1-ish rapid at Hot Springs. Hot Springs is popular with Park visitors.

I came around the corner in view of the crowd, delicately and helpless balanced on edge, hit the first little wave and instantly dumped the canoe. Nothing was tied in, so I had my first yard sale collection with an audience watching. Some of them wearing rather quizzical WTF expressions, and I recall thinking “Gawd I hope none of those people are paddlers”.

I lost my pipe, but recovered everything else. Except my dignity.

(Still hoping for Pblanc’s swims #2 and #3)

OK, here is a bit more grist for Mike's schadenfreude, swim story #2. If anyone thought my first account demonstrated a certain lack of sound judgement, this one will reveal a depth of stupidity that was truly profound.

This occurred at a time when I was living in Tennessee and most often paddling whitewater in an open boat. Since I had to work many weekends, duty and poor weather conspired to cause me to have to miss many highly desirable club trips. When I had weekend call I usually had one day off the following week so I would look around for someone to paddle with. I had one whitewater kayaking friend who could usually be depended upon to be irresponsible enough to play hooky and meet up with me to go paddling. So I called him and we made plans to paddle one of my favorite rivers, the Tellico on my day off.

Well, the day before we planned to meet it rained hard in east Tennessee and the Tellico came up to potentially lethal levels. The smart thing to do at times like this is to divert to Citico Creek north of the Tellico, but neither of us knew about it at this point in time. We did know about a nice little Class II run, the Conasauga River and I tried to get my friend to accompany me there. But he was into running waterfalls at that point in time and wanted to go check out a couple on tributaries of the Tellico that he thought might be running. This did not involve any actual river paddling, just dropping over and carrying back up to repeat.

I had run Baby Falls on the Tellico a number of times in my canoe which is a sheer drop, and I had decided that 13 feet was a sufficient height from which to drop onto my knees. These drops were in the 18-20 foot range so I passed. But I was bound and determined to paddle something and decided I would go to the Conasauga and do a bike shuttle, something I had done many times before.

There are a couple of Conasauga Rivers and a Conasauga Creek in the Southeast. This particular Conasauga has its headwaters in northern Georgia and then flows into the very southern part of Tennessee and proceeds west along the state line briefly flowing back into Georgia a couple of times. The stretch I planned to run is a delightful and usually straightforward whitewater run notable more for its scenery than the challenge of its rapids. But it doesn't run very often other than following rains in the Spring. Based on prior experience I figured there were only two rapids likely to give any trouble on this 6.7 mile run. The first of these is Taylor Branch Rapid less than a mile into the run. This is normally rated a Class II+ and is a rocky, broken ledge offering a couple of different clean lines over it. The second rapid is "The Falls" and at that time was usually considered a relatively straightforward Class III requiring an S turn from river left to river right through an eddy behind a big rock to line up for a drop through a chute. The rock usually sticks up out of the water by about 4-5 feet or so.

When I got to the river I saw that it was way up and flowing fast. While it had not spilled its banks by much the water was rather turbid and much higher than I had ever seen it. But I went ahead and left my bicycle at the intended take out and drove on up to the put-in. I had already broken one cardinal rule of whitewater paddling by planning to paddle alone. I now preceded to break a second by paddling a stream in near flood.

Within a half mile of the put-in it began to dawn on me that I might have chosen poorly. The river just kept getting higher and was now out of its banks into the trees. Moreover, there was the occasional sizable log passing me by on its way to points downstream since I went as slowly as possible in order to maintain control and try to get an idea of what was coming up downstream before it was too late. I knew that I must be getting close to Taylor Branch Rapid but the entire river was completely featureless, just one big flush. Then I saw that the ledge at Taylor Branch was completely submerged but it had kicked up a big river wide hydraulic just downstream of the usual location of the ledge. I quickly got up some speed sufficient to jump the hydraulic and try to punch through the curler at its downstream end. I did jump the recirculation but got completely soused by the big curling wave which knocked me sideways and over with a boat so wet and heavy as to be uncontrollable. So I took my first swim.

I don't know how far downstream I went before I was able to self rescue my boat and myself to river right but it was probably at least a half mile given the speed with which the water was flowing. As I lay on the bank panting I considered my options. At this point It was probably about a mile and a half walk back upstream to my car and that would have been the sensible thing to do. But I knew that all of the lesser rapids on this stretch would be submerged and the only thing I really had to worry about was "The Falls" which I judged to be a little over 1/2 mile downstream. After that it was going to be just a fast ride back down to my bike. I decided that I would proceed downstream, staying toward the river right side which was the preferred side on which to portage around The Falls. I would keep my eyes peeled for the big rock and as soon as I saw it I would paddle like heck for the right bank and carry around the drop. I judged the speed of the current to be at least 6 mph so I figured to see the big rock within 5 minutes or so.

As I went downstream I was mostly back paddling to keep my speed down to allow time to exit the current as soon as I spotted the rock. But there was no rock. I then noticed dead ahead what looked like a little bump in the water. This turned out to be water flowing over the top of the submerged rock. By the time I appreciated this I was way to close to make it over to the right bank. I got over a bit to the right of where the rock would have been approximately where one would line up for the chute over the main drop. As soon as I got to that point I saw that the drop had created a hole not quite as big as Rhode Island and there was no way I was not going into it. I saw enough of it to realize that it was not a keeper, however.

At this point I had a fair to middling open boat roll. I new that there was no way I would exit that hole upright but figured that if I tucked and breathed from the air pocket inside the hull I would be out of the hole in a few seconds and could then attempt a roll. I was right up to a point in that there was no way I was going to stay upright. But my subsequent plan to hang out and roll up was dashed when the hole violently ripped me out of my outfitting. So I swam a second time.

This swim was longer and worse but again I was able to self-rescue after a fairly intense downstream struggle. I laid on the bank like a dead thing for some time. I was now approximately midway between my car at the top and bike at the bottom but at least by walking the 3+ miles back upstream I could spare myself a bike ride I was no longer in the mood for. So I stashed my boat and gear, hiked up to my car, and retrieved my boat, gear and bike on my way back home.

dang, I may have to go back to Allengany this low water fall; I still want that stainless steel tampon dispenser as a wall hung shop cabinet.

I remember well your obsession with the stainless steel tampon dispenser, which is why I made careful note of its location. I have a camp within an easy drive of the reservoir and believed I would one day mount a retrieval expedition. I even worked out the details of a late night delivery to Maryland, giving you the most envious yard ornament of the neighborhood.

It was only a couple years after the "Cowboy Belt Buckle" gathering that two others and I returned to Handsome Lake with thoughts of salvage. I was sure we were in the right bay because the two plastic "Noel" yard candles were still standing sentinel at the mouth of Whisky Run but to be sure, Joknnycake Bay was scoured as well without a trace of the famine doodad dispenser. Perhaps it was relocated to deeper water or someone couldn't resist the 23 cents a pound salvage value. Your shop will have to go BYO tampon until another can be located.

I believe 15 years is too long of a hiatus between Kinzua Belt Buckle gatherings.

It's a good idea to carry the ingredients for a drag system and know how to set one up. Did you also use the Steve Thomas rope trick?

Like your TR says, it is a straight forward easy class II, but I wouldn't want to be on it in a Camper.

Agreed. I’d rather be in a soloized OT Pathfinder. Coming soon.

Well, slow as I am, perhaps not “soon”.

It's a good idea to carry the ingredients for a drag system and know how to set one up. Did you also use the Steve Thomas rope trick?

What is the Steve Thomas Rope Trick?

Is this where you feed the rope over the top gunnel, around the bottom and then tie it off to a submerged thwart, in order to turn the boat over (thereby dumping water out) while loading the z-drag?

If that is what you mean, then yes, we did, and it would not have worked without it.

Monel

Back