• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

How about some swim stories/photos

What is the Steve Thomas Rope Trick?

Is this where you feed the rope over the top gunnel, around the bottom and then tie it off to a submerged thwart, in order to turn the boat over (thereby dumping water out) while loading the z-drag?

If that is what you mean, then yes, we did, and it would not have worked without it.

Monel

Yes you pretty much have it. A picture is worth a thousand words here:

The reason I asked is that your situation was such that it looked like it might have been possible to apply. I have used this in swiftwater rescue training where boats were deliberately pinned by instructors and then the students were required to unpin them. But I have never had a real life situation in which I could use it.

The technique requires the rescuer to approach the boat in a stable and safe manner, usually from a downstream direction, and also requires the rope to be floated or passed beneath the pinned hull, two requirements that often don't apply. But congratulations for knowing it and being able to apply it here.

Attachments

• photo17944.jpg
    photo17944.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 6
Okay, not actually a swim photo, but how about canoe sailing? Mast & boom from the woods, sail from 3 GI rubberized ponchos, two of which were folded over a rope forming the leech line of the sail. Glad the winds were light, otherwise there would surely have been a knockdown!

Happy Isle Lake, Algonquin, 1968

PICT0045.jpg

Back