• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

Homemade burlap sack camp chair

Reaction score
Been working on another winter project for next season - a homemade camp chair. I stumbled on this Pinterest page called "Canoe Projects" and came across the source of inspiration...the Knudsen Bucksaw Chair! Anyone else seen these before?

07dd50d3fc0f40ecedaa01e886ff8dfa.jpg

Apparently it was designed by Dutch engineer Ole Gierløv Knudsen in 1962. The chair and an accompanying cot were created for a camping trip with his son. The original chairs from the 60s are apparently expensive collector's items today. You can see that the chair is held together by the tension of the windlass cord like a bucksaw. The whole thing collapses into a narrow stuff sac.

33870d8e40a492040d2626a34631afd6.jpg

Certainly will never be as compact or lightweight as the modern Helinox Chairs that folks have been raving about, but I liked the concept. For a while I toyed with the idea of recreating the exact chair, using scrap canvas to sew the fabric and some hardwood for the frame components. But instead, I simplified the idea with whatever pre-fabricated scraps I had at home. All of the wood components were originally purchased (for other projects) at Home Depot, so they are pretty accessible. Here is what I came up with...

Bucksaw%2BChair%2B30_rs.jpg

Little different that the original inspiration in that there are two windlass cords for the front and rear legs with a burlap sack for the backrest and wooden slats for a seat. But the concept of using tension similar to a bucksaw is the same.

Here are the components laid out from top to bottom

Bucksaw%2BChair%2B10_rs.jpg

• the backrest fabric is a 17" w x 26" l burlap rice sack. I suppose an old pillow case or large nylon stuff sack could work too.
• seat slats are 3 loose pieces of 1/4" x 2.5" w x 24" l poplar panels
• 2 seat legs made from a remnant of dressed 1x2x8 of maple (actual dimensions are 3/4" x 1.5"w x 22" l)
• 2 backrest legs made from the same maple stock ( 3/4" x 1.5"w x 30" l)
• 2 3/4" poplar dowels for the cross braces (long one = 13.5"; short one is 11-7/8ths")
• some cordage and 1/4 dowel sticks

Unlike the original Bucksaw chair which has the seat legs nestled into a carved space on the exterior of the backrest frame, I ended simply attaching 2 cut block of maple onto each long using some glue and screws. Took some trial and error, but eventually settled on on placing these blocks so that the space created between would be 7" from the leg bottom. Also, I ended deviating from the Knudsen's design by purposely flipping the legs so that these notches facing inward rather than outward. The following sequence of pics might explain this better.

Here is the 1st step. Stick the long legs into the burlap sack with the "blocks" facing inward and tension with the cross piece and cord.

Bucksaw%2BChair%2B14_rs.jpg

Then I place the other short legs into the support blocks and tension with the second dowel and cord. The tension created by the inner structure has a sort of friction lock at this stage. This is the view of the back of the chair...

Bucksaw%2BChair%2B15_rs.jpg

Flip up and adjust how far back you want the chair to lean. This is accomplished by slightly squeezing the shorter seat legs towards each other near the block supports. The legs can then slide through the blocks and when you let go, they snap outwards again for an instant friction lock.

Bucksaw%2BChair%2B18_rs.jpg

I had originally thought of using fabric for the seat again, but found that because of the width of the burlap back rest, something would need to be customized. I later got the inspiration from my 6 year old son who was playing with the 1/4" poplar boards building a sort of racetrack. I snagged 3 of his boards and found that they could easily rest, edge on edge on the projecting maple supports. Works well enought as a comfortable seat.

Bucksaw%2BChair%2B22_rs.jpg

The take down process is quite fast and with the components stacked neatly and secured with the cordage it forms a nice bundle.

Bucksaw%2BChair%2B05_rs.jpg

Here it is wrapped in the burlap sack. At 32" long, it just makes the cut for fitting in my Woods canvas pack. I also have an unused, narrow tent stuff sack that would be big enough to carry the whole thing and protect it from the elements if it needed to be lashed to the exterior. Final weight is 4.8lbs. Like I mentioned before, it'll never be as compact and lightweight as the Helinox chair, but I can live with weight difference.

Bucksaw%2BChair%2B04_rs.jpg

Of course this is still in the raw stage. The wood hasn't been treated and I could tweak it a bit more but for now it is a functional chair. During one of our more balmy (-1C), depressing snowless January days here in Toronto, I took it out to the backyard for a little test. Here is the backyard campsite complete with a Mike McCrea inspired Fire in a Can.

Bucksaw%2BChair%2B26_rs.jpg

Wonderful post, fantastic idea, and great illustrations. I was familiar with the Helinox, but since I have a Coleman camp chair, though heavy, hadn't priced the Helinox. What sticker shock and great motivation to make a chair like yours. Thanks.

Looks like a project I might have to try while the snow is flying around here. Thanks for the post and all the pics!

Thank you Murat V, that is great looking chair!! I think I will still the idea to!! And thank you for the link to the Pinterest page.
I follow your Blog from time to time, always great info!!!

Hi Murat, What great ideas you come up with! Thanks for the great idea and photos.

Best Wishes, Rob

Someday way down the line there'll be an exhibit in a museum-art gallery of all your works.
I hope the museum gallery will be big enough.
Thanks Murat.

That looks like a great camp chair, I plan on making a couple of them. Thanks for the post.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Hope the post is useful to folks wanting to tinker with DIY gear.

Brad, that was one of the nicest compliments I've ever received. For now the "museum gallery" is the crawl space under the deck.:)

No Title

I just made a bucksaw chair, came out OK. My sewing isn't all that great but is was just a proof of concept. Pretty comfortable except it sags a little and my butt hits the cross piece a little. I finally had a reason to use my lathe!!

Attachments

• photo3285.JPG
    photo3285.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 0
  • photo3286.JPG
    photo3286.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 0
Fanastic job wysedav! The woodwork (and your sewing) looks great. I've seen modern replicas of Knudsen's Safari chair go for ridiculous prices online. If you don't get much use out of it, I'm sure you could sell and get more shop equipment!

Or if you wanted to complete the set, there's also the camp cot he designed with the same principle...

beechwood-folding-bed-manufactum.png

Savbriks03.jpg

More pics here

Thanks for the idea Murat. I'll make a couple changes of the next one, I think it's a little wide and maybe a little to reclined. My daughter thinks the back could be longer tosupport your head.

Thanks again murat, your link just sent me into a 3 hour long pinterest binge on my phone, my eyes are falling out!

Wysedav, we'll done!

Jason

I really like all those chaires, but the problem is there are to low to the ground. I'm done with that. I need to build/design some thing that is at a "regular" chair hight!!

Back