• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

High(er) Protein Granola

Reaction score
I'm headed out to the back country and just made granola to take along. As I am older, I am not supposed to eat so many carbs and supposed to increase the protein, so I have adapted my canoeing granola recipe. The original recipe comes from the Whole Earth Catalog, as referenced in Rugge and Davidson's The Complete Wilderness Paddler. More recently, I googled granola recipes and high protein foods and adapted it thusly:

Chunky Granola, higher protein, lower carb

Based on: The original Whole Earth Catalog and updated with modern supplies and bits and pieces from a google search.

2 cups rolled Kamut flakes
1-1/2 cups large coconut flakes
1 cup wheat germ
1-1/2 cup pecans
1 cup macademia nuts
1 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup oat bran
1 cup ground roasted soybeans
1 cup chia seeds
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon coconut sugar

Mix the above ingredients thoroughly.

3/4 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix the above in a small sauce pan and heat to just barely warm. Mix well so that oil and syrup form a emulsion. Then pour over the dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly so that all dry ingredients are moistened. This is key.

Oil large cookie pan with edges with coconut oil. Press mixture into the pan. Bake at 325 for 15 minutes. Do not stir or mix while baking.

Let cool.

Break up into pieces and store.

PS I have never used coconut oil before. It has a lovely flavor and suits granola much better than vegetable oils, I think.

I have used coconut oil before and regard it as a tropical thing. I would never use it in the North. Its solid at 70 degrees. Kind of too much like Crisco. I tried it and it was just made a greasy mess at cold temps
You are right on the maple syrup.. Never never Aunt Jemima.. It must be real.

I dont much pay attention to what I should and shouldn't eat on canoe trips

But... I never heard of Kamut Flakes. sounds very interesting to me who disdains oatmeal. Hopefully we can discard some ingredients which are hard to find in rural Maine. Like chia seeds and roasted soybeans.

Last edited:
Similar to my personal granola mix .... This is my go to recipe, it is pretty good, well, better than good

3 cups rolled oats
3 cups puffed quinoa or puffed rice
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup cashew pieces (unsalted)
1 cup sunflower seeds raw unsalted
1 cup pumpkin seeds raw unsalted
1 1/2 cups diced dates
1 cup raisins
3/4 cup shredded sweet coconut
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
4.5 oz maple syrup
3.5 oz cup vegetable oil
3/4 teaspoon salt

Directions

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
Set aside dates and raisins.
In a separate bowl, combine maple syrup, oil, brown sugar and salt.
In a large bowl, combine the rest of the dry ingredients, stir a bit to mix.
Get out 2 cookie sheets and cover with parchment.

Combine both mixtures and pour onto 2 sheet pans. Cook for 1 hour and 30 minutes, stirring every 30 minutes to achieve an even color. Be careful first time, this is oven dependent

Remove from oven and transfer into a large bowl. Add raisins and dates, mix until evenly distributed. Store in a tightly covered container.

Brian

Thanks Erica, that sounds really good. Upping temperature stable protein on trips can be a challenge. We use coconut milk powder in some tripping meals and the oil for our granola. Less expensive nuts are substituted for expensive ones. The variety of granola recipes must be endless. Yours sounds like a keeper.

Last edited:
The amount of coconut oil in the granola does not create any crisco-like look or taste. See photos - post-refrigeration. Of course, many substitutions can be made successfully. I get unusual ingredients from amazon.com. I did not used to pay attention to diet on canoe trips, but now I have to. I have also discovered I have more physical energy when I limit carbs and increase protein. Kamut is higher protein than oatmeal. I like my granola a bit chunky. I used to stir when baking, but was advised to avoid stirring if you want chunky granola. Of course cheaper ingredients and nuts can be used if you like them. I am not fond of peanuts or most nuts, so I find it worth it to me to put in the fancy nuts. I'm glad some of you have found this interesting and/or useful. I get such a kick out of preparing my own foods for the trip.

Attachments

• photo10014.jpg
    photo10014.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo10015.jpg
    photo10015.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 1
Coconut oil aside I have to make some granola for an upcoming canoe trip and Erica and Odyssey gave me good ideas. I especially am intrigued by a combination we loved in Iceland. Skyr and granola. We were totally unable to find a portable cooler in Iceland and toted our Skyr around unrefrigerated for up to three days. And best of all I can get my favorite Skyr at home. Its very high in protein and low in carbs.

I learned 2 new words this week. Kamut and Skyr. Although I love oatmeal (very very much) I could learn to love a higher protein granola. Our home recipes may need some serious tweaking, and I'm now looking forward to that. Thanks.

I was thinking, why make granola? Just buy it.

Then I checked the ingredients on my store bought favorite: Wheat, sugar, rice flour, almonds and barley malt syrup. And I'm buying "the good stuff." Nutrion wasteland compared to the recipes offered in this thread. As soon as I figure out what kamut is, I'm going to try making some, though I'll switch the nuts. It must taste good, too.

Thanks for posting.

The coconut powder is used in our tripping Thai dishes but also in our granola as a replacement for cow's milk. I have a slight intolerance to lactose. We've used powdered milk in the past but I kinda like the subtle tropical twist now to my granola. Bob's is available around here but I haven't found King Arthur Flour. Maybe I don't shop hard enough to find different flours but the Bulk Barn has variety. I'll look for kamut and macadamia nuts there. And roasted soybean. We consider peanuts as just gorp filler, not really into those. Always looked at granola as a carb tripping breakfast when we're taking a break from (protein/fat) ham, (protein/fat) eggs and (carb) bannock. Upping the protein in our cereal changes everything.

To be fair I started rethinking revisiting our tripping diet since Alan's last northern trip. So if our tripping diet becomes more healthy, more portable and less funner, I'll blame Alan.

Last edited:
Just in case there is some confusion, yellowcanoe posted a link to kamut flour. The recipe uses Kamut flakes --- looks more like oatmeal.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CYV2DV2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I hadn't heard of it either before a google search for high protein stuff to add to granola. I am very glad some of you have found this useful, even if just a diving board into some new ideas.

Re: skyr (I had to google it), I have taken regular yogurt in single serving cups in the Okeefenokee for five days without a cooler and it did not go bad. I don't take it for trips requiring portages because of the weight. Makes sense if you think about it. I believe cultured milk in its various forms was developed as a way to preserve milk. I seem to remember something about flasks made of goat stomachs filled with milk hanging onto the back of the horse.

OOPS. I thought kamut flakes in my head.. obviously my eyes didn't catch that.. I didn't find anything kamut in the grocery.. Even the Shop n Save which is supplied by Hannaford but has a lot of quirky hard to find stuff. However I got the joy of shopping in Freeport with a zillion others mostly tourists on this gloomy cold day.

Thanks for the correct link.. I am done driving some 100 miles grocery shopping today and think I will just wait for Amazon to deliver my FLAKES! I might give sunflower oil a chance to mix in with the granola.. Its a locally produced oil.

I think I will forego the goat stomach though in the past wagons drawn by horses were historically used on portages for carrying canoes where I am going next week!

Last edited:
Something that adds protein with granola along with a lot of flavor is some pre-fried bacon, or dry salami on the side... it doesn't need any prep time and goes great with coffee.

Some good ideas here, I've simply been roasting oatmeal flakes in a large frying pan and adding whatever's available at the moment to make granola... always tastes better than store-bought & ready made.

Kamut flakes really are lovely..my package arrived yesterday.. I had a bowl of them with almonds maple syrup and skyr for breakfast. I managed to reserve enough kamut to actually make the granola.. I cut down on the sweet as I prefer less sweet.. Recipes are entirely adaptable.. I am trying to make nice with the coconut oil.. It was hard as a rock to start though with mixing it softened. My house is under the coconut oil melting point. Agreed that coconut oil has a much nicer flavor than vegetable oil

Granola is in the oven baking.. It seems that anything over four cups would require two jelly roll sheets. I am using parchment paper instead of greasing the pan.. Results coming

The other new oil in the pantry is sunflower oil.. so nice on salad.

edit..: With skyr I have a whopping 25 g protein per serving with only natural sugars.. The combo is a winner. Thanks Erica Kamut is magical

Last edited:
I am glad you like the Kamut. I was surprised to like it too. It is always good to find a new comestible.

I thought at first I read combustible! Flammable grain? Uh then my coffee deprived mind read again. I have to go to the grocery store as my fridge is low on comestibles.
Its a new word also timewise being first used in 1837( thank you Merriam Webster)
Its antonym is poisonous.

Now that we made some granola for our trip I have had to become a granola maker everyday at home.. Hubby eats it almost as fast as I make it Yes its become an at home breakfast staple

Back