• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Yummy Crunchy Granola

Reaction score
We've been making this for years. We take this tripping too for a quick snack or for breakfast.
From The No Fad Good Food $5 a Week Cookbook by Caroline Ackerman.

Yield : 3 1/2 pounds

Heat oven to 300F.
Mix in large bowl
8 cups large flake rolled oats
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup sesame seeds
cup chopped walnuts
1 cup unsweetened coconut

Melt and mix in saucepan
1 cup honey
1 cup margarine
2 tbs milk
1 tsp salt

Pour over oat mixture. Mix. Spread on two cookie sheets. Bake approximately one hour stirring every 10 minutes then every 5 minutes. Be very careful not to burn bottom or to overbrown. When about half done stir in
2 cups raw wheat germ
Allow to cool on cookie sheets. Store in covered container. Other seeds and nuts may be added or substituted for the ones mentioned.

For canoe tripping we measure out 1 cup per zipper lock bag. A tablespoon of milk powder is added in each.
Also we substitute coconut oil for margarine.
We add raisins and other dried fruit after the mixture has cooled.
To eat on the trail or in camp just add a small measure of water (hot or cold) and enjoy.

I'm experimenting with using dehydrated steel cut oats as well. First you need to soak the oats 8-24 hours and then rinse before dehydrating. This will make them quicker to cook (if you choose to) and easier to chew.

Last edited:
My wife found this cookbook in the pantry of an old farmhouse we were living in. It was a 100 acre farm, 50/50 pasture and bush, down a lonely dirt road. We were the last house with electricity, all the farms beyond were off the grid. That was before it was fashionable. We joined a bulk whole food Co-op, so we got into all that. Met some very interesting friendly folks. This recipe is just about the only one we still use. We buy the ingredients from a bulk food place where they have several granolas to choose from. And theirs are quite good. I mostly like making my own because I can alter the recipe myself. Substitute maple syrup for honey (and less of it), coconut oil for marg, go crazy with nuts and (my own dehydrated) fruit...

Thanks for writing the recipe... I also get granola pre-made but will give this a try.

Speaking of finding things in old farmhouses, I found one in an overgrown property and in it were copies of Good Housekeeping and the Farmer's Advocate, from about 1910. The magazines were rotting away since the roof was leaking with the place slowly disintegrating, so I took a couple from the pile.Outside in a pile of trash was an old CNR tin cup which may have come from the CNR line going through northern Algonquin Park, which IIRC was running about that time.

Back