• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

Help identify this odd duck (square stern)

Reaction score
Anybody have any idea what this is other than a big project? 12-13’ long. 36” wide in the middle. There have been several unconventional “repairs” over the years.
E51369A7-22C7-4A66-9D42-93B1BBFA8DD5.jpeg
60C7D519-440E-4042-8140-2068DE092C41.jpegDA9C7425-E934-4309-A9CC-80298FA8442A.jpeg

Are there no serial numbers in the stem? At 12-13 feet my thought is a damaged cable that they turned into a square stern.

No numbers that are legible. Possible some on the stem- it has been worked on a few times and look to be mostly sanded off.

I was thinking the same that it was converted from a standard canoe as well, but the keelson looks to be original and I know Old Town made some square sterns off a 50 Pounder mold an other custom oddities per request. It has what looks to be original rear seat rails where the stern seat is supposed to be and I noticed the inwales taper at the bow when I peeled back the hideous canvas on top the deck. The ribs taper at the ends too. I only know enough to rule out certain possibles. It’s a weird one for sure.

I've seen a few boats like that in Ontario's boreal country, most were user built for running small outboards on the small, rocky streams and rivers common in the north for hunting and fishing and were 16-17" long (like a short wide freighter). Could this be one that was cut down?

It's possible. Looks like Old Town construction, but oddly sized. if it wasn't for that keelson that would be my conclusion for sure.

The deck profile looks like Penn Yan to me, however the keelson may not be original. I also think the gunwale caps are not original. I have no verifiable information to sustain that thought, but I think if they were original they would extend beyond the deck shape, perhaps to the stem. If it's a Penn Yan there may be the 'shadow' of a nearly square Penn Yan decal above the deck arch.

Thanks Pat. Gunwale caps are definitely not original. The inwales for the most part are in decent shape- thank goodness. Those full replacements were a bear on the 50 pounder. The decks are too far gone for any trace of a decal. I’ll research some Penn Yans and see what I find.

I appreciate the input from everyone.

Bob

Back