• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Hanging Around - Hammock Questions

I am looking for specific experiences and your perceived pros and cons. I'd love to be able to try a few before buying because dropping $300 for something I can't sleep in would suck.

Red, on the pro side I will offer this; a trip with some friends who find their hammocks the most comfortable night’s sleep imaginable and who dislike going back into a tent in tree-less areas.

One con side I will offer this; I’m not one of them. We own a Hennessey, which my one son prefers over any other sleeping shelter. It is sheer agony for me. I have likewise tried hammocker friend’s Clarks and a Warbonnet with the same result, I was uncomfortable and in pain within minutes.

I often nap or read in a “day hammock”, and in that guise I am laying on my back. But I sleep on my side and that just doesn’t work for me in a hammock. Some side sleepers find hammocks comfortable, but not me.

I wish a hammock would work for me, as it would open different sleep shelter opportunities, especially on uneven or wet ground.

I would try to find some way to spend a night in one, especially one set up properly by an experienced hammocker. Or maybe more than one; the variety of design and feature choices available is bewildering.

For MacGradyesque research:

https://hammockforums.net/forum/content.php

You will probably see some familiar faces there.

I tried stringing a small fly triangularly like the picture. One deluge at 2am cured me of that. My head and foot area got wet and cold.
Turtle

I tried stringing a small fly triangularly like the picture. One deluge at 2am cured me of that. My head and foot area got wet and cold.
Turtle

That's what I started out using as well and I got damp feet too. Thankfully it wasn't a real bad storm so I wasn't soaked or anything. I went to a 10x10 (or is it 10x12?) CCS after that. More coverage, more options, more better.

Alan

I made a DIY hammock and Silnylon tarp from some plans on one of the hammock forums. I also didn't want to spend much money only to find out it was a miserable night sleep. Turns out, it was the best night in the backcountry I've ever had. I made my hammock longer than average (11 feet) to allow for a more diagonal/flat sleep and it was perfect. I'm normally a rolling all night, stomach/side sleeper and I found the hammock to be so comfortable that I slept in almost a single position all night. I know it's not for everyone and I was skeptical, too. I just used a foam ground pad to insulate the bottom of the hammock (40 degrees F night is the lowest temp I've tried with it). I think my hammock and tarp cost me about $50 total with some basic sewing. For rigging hardware I used some 1 inch webbing and paracord. The tarp needs to extend well past the hammock to survive a rain and the rigging needs something to make the water drip before it rides all the way down and drips on you.

It also opens up the entire world of campsites on the east coast when all you need is two well spaced trees. I used one on the Allagash this fall, but ended up in a tent on two nights due to bug issues. I still need to add a bug net to the hammock.

Hi Red, I'm intrigued with the idea of a hammock but I won't leave my dog down on the ground. Just a suggestion, can you check out that Therma-Rest luxury lite cot?
It's not big to pack and I find it's brought comfort back to camping for me.

Rob

That's what I started out using as well and I got damp feet too. Thankfully it wasn't a real bad storm so I wasn't soaked or anything. I went to a 10x10 (or is it 10x12?) CCS after that. More coverage, more options, more better.

Alan
I normally use the smallish tarp that came with my Hennessy, but if I suspect a rainy trip I will bring an extra large tarp. I've never gotten wet. A trick, however, that works even with the small tarp is to be sure to tie "drip lines" to the hammock support lines. Simple short pieces of paracord tied tightly around the lines at the hammock ends, they channel water down to drip off before it follows the line into the hammock fabric.

Hi Red, I'm intrigued with the idea of a hammock but I won't leave my dog down on the ground.

Mine seems to be perfectly content sleeping on a small pad and blanket right under the hammock. She knows it's her place and unless something ventures into camp and needs chasing away she doesn't get up until I do. I can't take credit for training her that way, she's just a smart dog. The first time we tried it I thought she'd be running around all night long and that I'd have to leash her, but she figured out what was going on and just settled in.

There have been a couple occasions when it's been very cold (+3F one night) and I've pulled her into the hammock with me. She seems to like that a lot and she's small enough (27lbs) that I don't find it uncomfortable either. I try not to make a habit of it though, otherwise she'll start thinking she should be up there every night.

Alan

My dog's way too big to go in a hammock, and the tent almost. So on the ground it is when he comes. Sadly he doesn't come on many trips because he is just too big. Only time I've swamped was because of him. He is well behaved it's just the size of him and he has to merely shift positions in the canoe and it changes everything. I considered removing the front seat of the canoe and making a narrower location for him to sit but not sure of that will work.

I have been reading like crazy here this week trying to learn about these hammocks and it has been amazing what those back packers do to shave mere ounces. The 7/64 Amsteel Blue rope they use is amazing and there is a whole new world of knots and hitches and rope craft. I thought silNylon was it when it came to light weight fabric but there is this stuff called Cuben Fibre that is so thin it's transparent, yet strong and completely air-tight.

I've ordered the book The Ultimate Hang and will probably learn more before making my final decision. After all is said and done I can see this hammock idea costing close to $800. $210 for the hammock (Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 2x1.7); $130 for the Fly (Warbonnet Super Fly); $250 for an under quilt (probably Jacks R Better Mt Washington 3); $40-50 for various rigging ropes and upgrades. Add onto that the cost of shipping and the poor exchange rate and we are getting way up there. I really figured $200 max for the whole set up but the more I read about this the more I like the idea. I sleep so poorly on trips because of the discomfort of sleeping on the ground that it begins to take away from the joy of being out there.

I saw that dutchgear has Kevlar strapping now as well that weighs a fraction of what regular strapping does. And to be honest, I am kind of looking forward to have a sleeping structure that weighs SFA.

I have always been intrigued by the hammock idea but am majorly concerned about the bug issues. I mean, they are thick here. If you had to spend the night swatting it would not be very restful. I tried a cot, just a normal one, not a luxury lite, and that was a dismal flop. About the only thing that seems to work for me is a large air mattress ( 3"thick Alaskan Guide model, Cabelas). A down sleeping bag with that is nice to give some extra cushion and lately I have been using an underquilt of sorts...mostly loose clothing that is laying about.

I would try a hammock if I could get one cheap enough with decent bug protection, just as a backup for sites that had the necessary trees to tie to. I suppose you couild always bring a frame with you but that gets kind of bulky and as some have said, if it alls goes to pieces on you, you still need a pad to back up the hammock.

The exchange rate is sure killing us right now too.

But for me, the issue is that the right amount of gear to be comfortable, becomes too uncomfortable to pack along, unless it is strictly a float trip. So trade offs are necessary and that just leaves me right back where I started. At one point we used to bring a queen size inflatable coleman mattress the six inch thick kind that weighs a ton. It also sleeps like a dream. What price for comfort? Weight or dollars.

Christy

The bug protection from a hammock does not seem concerning at all. Most come with zip up nets and the difference between the good ones and the cheap ones is a) the weight and b) the quality of design like the bug net not resting on your face while you sleep. I could see hanging a mosquito coil under the tarp for 15 minutes before getting in bed and not even doing the usual 20 minute pre sleep hunt for tent mosquitos. I see from above there are two paddlers from Yukon who have smaller trees and more mosquitos (okay maybe to as much as Winnipeg) who make the hammocks work. Would love to hear from them about how effective they are at bug protection.

I would love to be able to single pack it on a trip and dropping 5 pounds in shelter is a big step forward, or lose 5 pounds of tent and gain 5 pounds of comfort in another area like a chair or a pillow.

Well that's pretty exciting, Red, I hope it works out for you. My hip and shoulders always hurt when I slept on the ground. After about 2am I'd wake up every 30 minutes to try and find a new position that didn't hurt. I'm sure a better pad would have helped but I decided to spend the money on a hammock instead and have really enjoyed it.

When I finally sprung for an under quilt the big dilemma was 3/4 or full? I went with full length and am glad I did. A little extra money and a little extra weight (not much) but I haven't had cold feet since. Maybe a 3/4 would have worked out fine too but if not I really would have been kicking myself. I ended up going with Hammock gear quilts mostly because their stock full length quilt was just a little longer than everyone else. At 6'1" I'm right at the edge of needing "long" sleeping bags. The normals are too short but the longs have way too much extra material at the bottom. The standard Hammock gear quilt fits me great, from head to toe.

Alan

We moved to hammocks 2 years ago and haven't gone back to a tent except for hot tenting in winter. One of the first things we noticed when we first tested them in June in Manitoba was that the mosquitoes didn't seem to find their way in. We got the Hennessy Hammocks, mine the bottom entry and my wife has the side zipper style.I can see it being difficult for them to get in through the bottom entry but I haven't figured out why they don't get in through the side zipper. Maybe we've just been lucky. We're both 5'6" to 5'7" and have the regular length hammocks and the mesh stays away from the face when sleeping.

We're experimenting with underpads. Thermarest full length pads work well but we've also used closed cell foam and insulated foil. The jury is still out out on that point. So far the coldest temps we've used them in was just above freezing and the thermarests seemed to provide sufficient insulation with a -20 bag.

iskweo, I bought this one for my step daughter and she likes it a lot. you could put a pad in it for an underquilt and add a blue tarp

http://www.hammockbliss.com/no-see-um-no-more

That's the hammock I started out with. Not bad but a far cry from something like a Warbonnet. At my height (6'1") it was a little short for me and I never could get real comfortable in it. Seemed like it wasn't wide enough either. The hammock doesn't have a ridge line so the bug netting needs to be tied to the trees or tarp line separately. Not the end of the world but it's two more cords to untangle and tie off. I seemed to have a hard time keeping the netting off my face too. I would up giving it to a friend of mine who doesn't have a need for it very often but enjoys it when she does.

Alan

Here is the link to the one I made. It's basically a rectangle of material with gathered ends. When on backpacking trips with other people in commercial hammocks everyone seemed to agree that the DIY one was the most comfortable. It also packs up so small that it's worth bringing along just for an afternoon nap or book in camp. This one will only cost you about $15 to make. If you can't sew, take the material to a local shop that does any alterations on clothing and I bet they'd do it cheap since it's a simple design. I didn't put the side pull tabs on mine and it works fine. Here's the link I used in case anyone is interested.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/670-My-Take-On-DIY-Hennessy-Hammock-A-Tutorial

The No-See-Um No More by Hammock Bliss was half the price of my Warbonnet. It was a good starter hammock for her or anyone who doesn't want to throw a bucket of money at this and she liked it a lot more then her tent.

No Title

I bought an Eagles Nest Outfitters doublewide hammock a few years ago, with the Atlas straps by the same maker. The straps are an excellent idea and makes setting up a breeze. You definitely want something under your backside for when it gets cold. I used a Coughlan's moqsuito net over my head and stayed under the blanket and the bugs didn't get me, but I haven't had the chance to sleep in the rain with it yet. I have a cheap tarp, but I will probably pick up the ENO rainfly at some point...

Attachments

• photo1759.JPG
    photo1759.JPG
    628.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1760.JPG
    photo1760.JPG
    630.2 KB · Views: 0
Back