• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Green River Utah

Got permit and shuttle reservations for Green May 7-16. Then four days off for sightseeing and travel thence to Ft Benton to float down to Kipps on the Missouri May 20-28. Its good to be retired and still able.

I am looking up how much alum per gallon of water. Nuts and Co. sells alum by the pound.

I am looking up how much alum per gallon of water. Nuts and Co. sells alum by the pound.

I don’t think you need much alum. Per the Swamper’s instructions formula to flocculate silty water:

“2 teaspoons of alum in a 1 liter Nalgene type bottle. Fill with water and shake it up. Fill your settling bucket with river water. Add 2-3 capfuls of alum mix to the settling bucket. Vigorously stir 15 seconds in one direction using a circular motion to create a center whirlpool. Stir in the other direction 15 seconds. Sediment should mostly settle out in 45-60 minutes.”

You can find Alum in with the spices in the grocery store; it’s commonly used in making pickles.

Given that 2 teaspoons dissolved in water saturates one liter, and that liter of alum water is then dispensed in small amounts into a settling bucket, I think that little spice jar will last a long time.

Especially since settling and filtering the Green would be my last choice in potability, after what I bring in dromedaries, what I can filter from up side-canyon springs and, if I’m lucky, what I can catch off the parawing if it rains.

I could have filled a bathtub with what came off the low V sides of the parawing last spring.

BTW – I had been looking (and looking, and looking) for the perfect firepan. By permit regulations it needs to be at least 12” in diameter and at least 2 ½” high. A heavy duty aluminum foil turkey roaster pan is acceptable and can be folded flat, but they fall apart quickly.

I looked and looked. They used to make car oil change pans from metal, but everything today is plastic. Hmmm, what’s this in Tractor Supply?

A “Spot Diner Time Stainless Steel Pet Dish, 5 quart, 12.15W x 4.25H. Like this.

http://www.petmountain.com/product/...5283/diner-time-stainless-steel-pet-dish.html

It is slightly tapered and – get this – the bottom of a 30L barrel fits it like a glove. No more bent and burned aluminum foil fire pan for me.

Got a new Tractor Supply near me! What size dog uses a 5 quart bowl??? I'd hate to have to pay for all that dog food.

Apparently because our growing season is so short no grocery store in my area has alum.

Got a new Tractor Supply near me! What size dog uses a 5 quart bowl???

A big thirsty dog.

I like the idea that the 30L barrel nestles in it perfectly for transport. But it is a shiny new bowl now, not covered with soot. The Fire In a Can goes into an old stuff sack along with the feeder bricks and I’ll do the same with the dog bowl fire pan

Apparently because our growing season is so short no grocery store in my area has alum.

You should travel more. Down south they use alum for watermelon rind pickles.

Well I got a pound of it for $3. I think it's less than 20 cents an ounce. And we will also be on the Missouri so the amount may not be inappropriate for 20 days. Though I likely will have leftovers

We are in Moab, putting on to the Green tomorrow. Great 3 week cross country wander so far, including Palo Duro, White Sands, a week in Paradise AZ, Apache Sitgraves, up the Moke Dugway to Muley Point, Escelante/Capital Reef. Lots of dirt road travel.

We are in Moab, putting on to the Green tomorrow. Great 3 week cross country wander so far, including Palo Duro, White Sands, a week in Paradise AZ, Apache Sitgraves, up the Moke Dugway to Muley Point, Escelante/Capital Reef. Lots of dirt road travel.

I hate you:D

We are putting in May 7. There is a wicked snowstorm projected for our driving route across Iowa. Meanwhile I am dealing with the disaster in the great room. Looks like we are moving permanently.

Then after the Green, Missouri Breaks.. after all 800 miles apart in the West is but a eeny distance.

Do great minds think alike or not?? ;)

22 days on the river.Incredible trip, met some great people, rescued some folks and saw a waterfall phenomenon.

Awesome.

22 days on the river.Incredible trip, met some great people, rescued some folks and saw a waterfall phenomenon.

Awesome.

How in the **** did you do that? Paddle backwards? We are degriming in Moab now. Ten days of absolutely hardly any paddling. Quite chilly, some mixed precip Mothers Day. Gusts of winds that would knock you over..a river that went from 5000 cfs to 12000 and now is running 10000. Spent a good bit of time more than I planned for in fleece and wool hat and gloves.

And a botanical garden to amaze.. And the wonderful waterfall at Jasper Canyon next to the Anasazi moki.

More later.

How in the **** did you do that? Paddle backwards?

22 days to go 120 miles, you do the math. And two days I paddled 30+ miles.

How the heck did I do that?

Lingeringly.

We are degriming in Moab now. Ten days of absolutely hardly any paddling. Quite chilly, some mixed precip Mothers Day. Gusts of winds that would knock you over..a river that went from 5000 cfs to 12000 and now is running 10000.

I learned a couple of new tricks this trip. One is to stay at the Super 8 or Motel 6 in the town of Green River an hour’s drive west. $39.95 vs $150. I do enjoy the professionalism and expedient expertise of folks at Tex’s, but aside from them Moab is too chaotic crowded busy and overpriced.

And the wonderful waterfall at Jasper Canyon next to the Anasazi moki.

We were on the ledge camp above Shot Canyon during the heavy rains on the 11[SUP]th[/SUP] and 12[SUP]th[/SUP]. In a 360 degree view there were seven waterfalls pouring off the canyon rim in different places. No matter which way you turned you could see two or three or more in any field of view.

It was absa-freakin-mazing. In my top three of lifetime natural events to witness, along with a northern lights show over Lake Superior and the Leonids meteor storm of 2001.

More later.

Much more later. But I have 7 week’s worth of gear to clean, repair and repack first.

NEVER NEVER.. will I EVER stay at the Motel 6 in Moab. A glam prison cell of like dimensions with hard surfaces. I swore a waterfall was descending on my bed at two am. It was the occupant of the room upstairs taking a shower. I could hear every second of the activities of the room next door. And its a new motel.

I agree..aside from a very good Sushi restaurant with half price before six and the Moab Diner, everything else is way out of line pricewise. And I don't regard tofu as a breakfast menu item..

We fled today as the OHV rally literally took over town. The madhouse in the supermarket yesterday was something I never want to experience again (and never have before. Guess I have to quit griping about Maine tourists)

I know this site is not Trip Advisor but if you canoe the Green and visit Moab, do it on a weekend or else at your peril. Weekdays are more sane. Go to Arches National Park as early as you can..

Back