• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

​Breakthrough in DIY toilet seat technology

G

Or “Why did it take me 20 years to think of this”.

I prefer using the DIY bucket(s) system for Wag Bag pack out your crap trips. A tall bucket to hold the Wag Bag and a comfy anti-groover seat, and another gasket sealed bucket that nestles inside the throne to carry the accumulated stinky wag bags. That arrangement is lightweight and you can pick up the whole shebang via the bail with one hand to tote it into scenic view crapper location.

The downside was the seat. I have long used an actual toilet seat, with a circular slot routered on the bottom to snap atop the tall bucket throne.

For comparison, beside an outfitter’s stinky (heavy, awkward) diamond plate rental toilet.

A standard toilet seat with a routered slot works for the DIY wag bag solution, but has many downsides. The routered slot dimensions are not the same from bucket to bucket and it need to fit precisely, so it won’t work on even slightly differing diameter buckets. It is heavy. And awkwardly sized. And, as gear goes, kinda fugly.

I’ve been using that same seat for 20+ years. And it finally occurred to me, there is a far better, lighter, more compact way to enjoy a morning wag bag constitutional on an arse comfy seat.

Oh heck yeah, 3 pieces of hollow core pool noodle slit down the middle. The “seat” fits in a little ditty bag, weighs next to nothing and is more than satisfactorily comfy.

I like it. I am a bit chagrined that it took me 20 years to think of that solution, but I never claimed to be all that smart.

So what happens if you "sit and split" the foam noodles? Might want to use that around the house before taking it out on safari.

So what happens if you "sit and split" the foam noodles? Might want to use that around the house before taking it out on safari.

I’m thinking of gluing a piece of split garden hose in each of the seat sections to make them more durable.

Good thing I gave up drinking. It would be embarrassing to be on a McCrea trip and, in the wee hours, to mix up the Tyre Round the Can with the Pyre in the Can.

I think I will continue to use the REI snap on seat for $ 12. Having used foam in winter outhouses I believe cleanliness is an issue. Not wanting to chase E. coli in foam

I don't want to poo poo the idea (sorry, I just had to say it), but that is not closed cell type foamy stuff. If it got icky, it'd be hard to clean.
I do like the low tech -high comfort idea though.

To make the seat easier to clean, one could contact cement some stretchy rubber, plastic or Teflon sheets onto each foam block.

Break out the scrap boxes and lay up a nice carbon fiber butt seat with a channel on the underside that allows for a renewable gasket. The channel could be wide enough to facilitate slight variances in bucket diameter.

Good thing I gave up drinking. It would be embarrassing to be on a McCrea trip and, in the wee hours, to mix up the Tyre Round the Can with the Pyre in the Can.

Headline reads "Man Burns Privates in Waxy Inferno; No Fire Bans Broken!"

Got to love This innovation. Red Neck Perfection !

I'll be building one for down at the shop !

Thanks !

Jim

I was thinking about dual purpose use. The back piece of foam looks like just the right size and consistency to use to scrub my sphincter squeaky clean about day number 4 on a trip.

Back