• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

GP build

Yes, boring life. Water is too stiff to paddle on but isn't stiff enough to walk on yet! I have been cheating with another forum as I usually do this time of year! Now all I have to do is paint the wood on my newly crafted smitty sled. If the weather here on long Island breaks 40, my propane heater might boost the temp in my un insulated garage enough for a couple coats of rustoleum

Jason

If I used the trusses, I too would predrill. I'd probably mess up a few of those also !

For seats hung low. I think they are an asset, as well cool looking.

For my solo's, I've not seen the need. My spacers are a lot bigger than the Old Town dowels, and they are fitted to the hull shape. If I was experiencing any movement, fore and aft, I'd hop on the truss design.
So far so good.

Couldn't find a better pic. I use the seat cut offs for the supports. Nothing pretty, but it works. By the time I'm putting in the seats, I can't hardly wait to paddle !!
IMG_0472_zps7v9mwajh.jpg

Jim

Jim

Post 111 those decks look great, what a fit.

I made that jig for cutting 12x1 scarfs you explained earlier in this thread. It was easy, even for me and it works like a charm. Glued up two rails and they look good best I have ever made really.
Thanks

DSC01576.JPG

DSC01575.JPG

I made that jig for cutting 12x1 scarfs you explained earlier in this thread. It was easy, even for me and it works like a charm. Glued up two rails and they look good best I have ever made really.
Thanks

DSC01576.JPG

DSC01575.JPG

Those look great. Very glad to hear the jig worked well for you.

Alan

Pulled the seat drops back out tonight, ran them through the router with a 1/4" round over bit, and applied a few coats of watco (to the inside of the holes as well). Took a picture just for Mike and Jason.

20160119_002 by Alan, on Flickr

Maybe tomorrow I'll start varnishing the inside.

Alan

Thanks Alan! Got to have those pictures you know, reading is hard work!

Well done,
They don't look very long, how low did you say the seats were going to be?

They don't look very long, how low did you say the seats were going to be?

These drops are 1 1/2-2", which puts the bottom of the seats 8 1/2-9" above the floor. I don't have much experience with tandem seats so I measured the clearance of the seats in an OT Penobscot and went with that. I'll tell the winner that if they don't think it's stable enough I can build them a set of longer drops.

Alan

Beings I'm going to win, Yes I would like lower drops ! HA !

Hope you are getting some glassing done ! If all goes well, I'll be on the CF Nokomis tomorrow.

Just checked my test pieces, can't believe how much stiffer they all became after a day of 70 degrees.

Jim

Gun show in town this weekend and the Nature Center (County Conservation) wants to display the canoe to sell raffle tickets. I told them I wasn't happy with the finish yet but that it was good enough to display. I'll finish it up next week. So I've been rushing this week to get it ready. Well, not really rushing....more like waiting. All I need to do is bolt in the seats and yoke but I have to wait for some epoxy to cure first. It's taking its sweet time about it so today I thought I'd encourage it a little:

20160129_001 by Alan, on Flickr

Knocked out a quick wood frame and threw some plastic over the whole boat. Then stuck an electric heater underneath. 65 degrees in the shop and 85-90 under the plastic. Hopefully by morning it will be good to go.

Alan

I made it up to Alan's today, but not before stopping in at the Gun show in Estherville. They had Alan's GP build on display. It is being raffled off to benefit the Emmet County Nature Center.

IMG_0840_zpsd1vfjl2o.jpg

Great job Alan !!

I purchased a raffle ticket, and to ensure that I would win, I had Sadie KISS the ticket ! I'm sure I'll win now !

Thanks to Alan's Dad Roy. We enjoyed a good meal at a local restaurant. Thanks Roy !

Then it was down to business ! Alan and I compared notes and building methods.

This Boy has it down pat !

A great afternoon ! Thanks !

Jim

dang, a gun show AND a canoe raffle....that would be an ideal afternoon for me. Alan, you should sell me a couple of tickets, see if my run of luck can continue!

Thanks for posting a picture, Jim. I forgot to take one when I dropped it off this morning. Was great to talk to you today. I gotta get down to Humboldt again soon.

I'm not quite done with the canoe yet but they wanted to display it this weekend. The resin was finally dry enough this morning to bolt the seats and yoke in place. Not happy with the finish on the trim yet. Tomorrow I'll bring it back to the shop and finish it up before the farm and home show, its next public appearance.

After installing the seats and yoke this morning I set it on the scale and it came in at just a shade over 49lbs.

Mem: With the way your luck is going you just might win the canoe even without buying a raffle ticket. But if you, or anyone else, does want raffle tickets let me know. They're $20 each. The raffle is sometime in March if I remember correctly. I'll deliver it as far as Dryden this summer.

Alan

I think I finally came up with a good name for this boat. I'll call it the The Regression.

20160222_001 by Alan, on Flickr

For whatever reason the epoxy on the gunwales wasn't setting up hard. It's been on about a month now. I don't know if I got the mix ratio wrong or if by interrupting the cure process on this slow setting epoxy by turning down the heat in the shop I permanently damaged it. It finally quit feeling tacky but I could still dent or lightly scratch it with a finger nail. The final test came yesterday when I wetted it down with acetone and it got really soft. So I sanded it back down to bare wood and will go with an oil finish this time. The sanding went better than I thought. Probably took a 1 1/2 hours to strip all the epoxy with 120 grit and another 1/2 hour to work through 150, 180, and 220.

I was also disappointed with the finish from the last coat of varnish on the outside of the hull so I scuffed that with 320 grit and will give it one more coat. Eventually this thing will leave the shop for good.

Alan

How nice a hull looks without seats and thwarts !

I sniffed Nokomis today, and can still smell epoxy. You maybe right about the temps ! Hoping it will cure better with warmer temps !

Jim

Nice job Alan! I wish I was closer, I'd have a few of those tickets in my pocket!
I'm sure it will be more than satisfactory by the time March rolls around.
Jason

I'm going to call this one a wrap. Finally got a final coat of varnish on the hull I'm happy with and watco on the gunwales. Tonight I wet sanded the hull with 1500 grit to make it feel silky smooth and a round of steel wool on the gunwales. Seats and thwarts are back in it. This weekend it will be on the display at the farm and home show in town. Raffle in 2 1/2 weeks. Good luck, Jim!

20160302_001 by Alan, on Flickr

20160302_002 by Alan, on Flickr

20160302_003 by Alan, on Flickr

20160302_004 by Alan, on Flickr

20160302_006 by Alan, on Flickr

20160302_005 by Alan, on Flickr

Alan

Sweet !
I was getting nervous if you'd get my canoe done in time for me to win !;)

Wish my shop had such neat looking water craft in it ! And that much room !

Jim

Back