• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

GP build

Wish my shop had such neat looking water craft in it ! And that much room !

Jim

I think I've only got you beat on the room. Pretty sure you've got three pretty nice hulls in progress right now as well.

Alan

Beautiful work Alan. Silky smooth; looks like it will slip through water like greased lightning.
Now does everyone like the satin look?!

Well I didn't win the canoe ! But I'm happy someone else can enjoy the fruits of Alan's labor.
It surely would have made my other canoes jealous, and you know what a jealous canoe can do !

Great job Alan !!!

Jim

It was a successful raffle. They sold a little over 200 tickets so $4000+ for the Emmet County Nature Center. I'll probably do another one next year if I'm still in the building mood. Maybe I can get this one done a little earlier and we can advertise a little harder and farther afield to sell more tickets yet.

Thanks for helping support the nature center, Jim, and I'm sorry I couldn't deliver a new canoe to you this weekend.

Alan

Next year !
I think you should make a copy of your Bloodvein ! For everyone would like a copy of the canoe that conquered the Bloodvein !
I know I would !

Jim

Next year !
I think you should make a copy of your Bloodvein ! For everyone would like a copy of the canoe that conquered the Bloodvein !
I know I would !

Jim

You might be the only other person in the area interested in a 16.5' solo canoe with enough capacity for a 45 day trip but you did get me thinking more seriously about building a solo. I'd always written it off before as no one around here as ever shown any interest whatsoever in my solo canoes when I offer them up for test paddles. But maybe something smaller, like a pack boat, would be well received. Easier to haul, easier to store, very lightweight, single or double blade, children/grandchildren could use it, and maybe, just maybe, it would change peoples perceptions a little bit when it comes to canoes vs. kayaks.

And maybe I'll start working on it now and can have it finished before summer paddling season is over. There's a large organized float for our town celebration in early August and the nature center is trying to organize more paddling events on the local lakes this year. I think it would really help sell tickets to have the boat be more visible as well as available for test paddling.

Alan

If I recall you have some carbon fiber cloth, short enough to fill the bill.
A double paddle canoe should appeal to a wider range of paddlers for sure. And a Black Stealth Canoe, how cool would that be ?
Jim

If I recall you have some carbon fiber cloth, short enough to fill the bill.
A double paddle canoe should appeal to a wider range of paddlers for sure. And a Black Stealth Canoe, how cool would that be ?
Jim

I doubt the nature center wants to pay for the carbon fiber and I'm not interested in donating it but that might look pretty sharp with a black carbon exterior and natural wood interior. I think the first one will be straight cedar though. Futzing around with designs now.

Alan

Easier to haul, easier to store, very lightweight, single or double blade, children/grandchildren could use it, and maybe, just maybe, it would change peoples perceptions a little bit when it comes to canoes vs. kayaks.

And maybe I'll start working on it now and can have it finished before summer paddling season is over. There's a large organized float for our town celebration in early August and the nature center is trying to organize more paddling events on the local lakes this year. I think it would really help sell tickets to have the boat be more visible as well as available for test paddling.

Alan

It may be perceived as just an open kayak. Any small canoe where you sit on bottom or nearly so and paddle with a double blade is pretty much just that.

Back