• Happy National No Socks Day! 🧦🚫👣

Got a new knee and now in PT and my PT is a

Reaction score
skier, hunter and canoer
Physical therapy hurts but its better with tales from the Allagash and St John.. we have had a blast
Today we talked about what roads are good this year and what might be interesting.
He knows what I want and agrees its possible..

That's good news, getting to talk about canoes and the outdoors while doing PT must be helping get thru it. Good Luck.

Kim, Good luck on the recovery. As one who's had a fair share of PT I know what is down the road. Stick with it!

sighhhhhhh. I will have to try to get back to that soon also. You are a hard core legend YC...I only hope that in a dozen or so more years I am still out there too.

Christy

YC, I have never met you but reading your posts and responses the past few years I know for sure that you're way to tough and driven to not push through and be back out in the woods before you know it! Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Jason

sighhhhhhh. I will have to try to get back to that soon also. You are a hard core legend YC...I only hope that in a dozen or so more years I am still out there too.

Christy
I was told thee would be bad days. This is one. Fit OT anyway
Keep the stories coming. I ain't hardcore. I'm currently hugging a Pillow Pet. It's a big stuffed Green Monster

A few years ago my Father had both knees replaced at the same time. Tough guy that he is. Now, he walks 5 miles a week and still golf's twice a week, walking of course and he will be 84 in January.

Karin

When I asked my BIL's dad how the new knee was, two months after replacement surgery, he replied "Worst thing I ever did!"
When I asked him again, one year after the surgery, he said "Best thing I ever did!!" He carried on for another fifteen years on that knee, until other health issues slowed him down.
I'm sure you'll be ready for the next season's paddling...

When I asked my BIL's dad how the new knee was, two months after replacement surgery, he replied "Worst thing I ever did!"
When I asked him again, one year after the surgery, he said "Best thing I ever did!!" He carried on for another fifteen years on that knee, until other health issues slowed him down.
I'm sure you'll be ready for the next season's paddling...
LOL

Next season paddling is in Feb!!

I was so sore and swollen and such a b*tch yesterday that if it werent for the stitches the PT guy was going to take me in a canoe.. But i cant get wet.

I hope to be able to tackle the Rudder for the Monarch next week while I can still use the garage.. ( Cars have to come in for the winter.. In the other three seasons they never are in the garage.. A project is in the garage)

YC - Best of luck with the PT. I had my right knee replaced 6 years ago and it was the best thing I'd ever done for myself. Since then I've been back to paddling, xc skiing, snowshoeing, hiking, etc. Lots of great times ahead now that you'll be walking on all cylinders again.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Lot of PTAs in my family. Do those excercises no matter how bad it hurts, and you'll be back at it in no time. Every time you work the knee it will get a little better. String those together and you're healed.

YC, they used to call our age group the "golden years". I haven't seen much gold, personally. They should rename it the "titanium years", for the number of knee and hip replacements that are being done.

Many of my friends have had these procedures recently and all of their lives improve -- albeit with some unpleasant pain that seems to come and go in the weeks after the operation, but which finally goes away. My mother had the procedure on both knees when it was very experimental in the 80's. They lasted her more than 20 years.

Best wishes for your recovery. You should be able to SIT and switch paddle by February. However, you might consider eliminating poor route planning . . . which has a funny French name . . . what the heck is it again? . . . oh, I remember . . . portaging.

Take your meds a little before going to PD! Had my left knee replaced I think almost 6 years ago also at a younger age. You will have a love/hate relationship with your PT but it's what they have to do to get your mobility where it should be. I recall the bending around 125-135 degrees. Oy did that not feel good, but like others have said it's well worth it! Glad to hear your in good spirits, it's great to look forward to getting back out on the water. RICE! Rest, ice, compression and elevation. I still do it often. Feel well

Prayers and best wishes for your recovery YC... Haven't been there myself, but I know several of my older coworkers over the years who've had it done, cried for a long time, and tell you a year later they're glad they did it. If you have the mental toughness to portage a canoe, you can do this. One session at a time.

Back