• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

"Loving Monsters" — a book review and short essay-rant

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The following piece was written by Glenn Harlan Reynolds in 2003. It voices one strong perspective about the reintroduction cougars into populated areas. I'm posting it here not because cougars are particularly relevant to canoeists, but because the same perspectives have been voiced here about bears and alligators, for example, and because I think it is well written. I've replaced or removed a few words as unnecessarily political, since I'm sure this subject can be discussed apolitically. No one has to agree with the book's or Reynolds' perspectives, and all should be free to voice whatever perspectives they have . . . civilly.

NPR science reporter David Baron has a new book out, called The Beast in the Garden: A Modern Parable of Man and Nature. Baron's book is about the return of cougars to the Boulder, Colorado area after decades of hunting-induced absence, and their eventual taste for eating human beings -- along with the various fantasy ideologies regarding wildlife and nature that this chain of events revealed.

But, in light of the book's subtitle, I don't think it will be terribly unfair if I use this story as a, er, parable. For the story it tells is, at core, an old one: Monsters are loose, and some people know it, while others pretend not to.

It's a standard theme, from old tales to modern stories like Harry Potter and Buffy. The modern twist is that some people see it as moral to take the side of the people-eaters. One suspects that this isn't so much in spite of the people-eating, but because of it.

Cougars were once regarded as timid, fearful of humans, and far more likely to flee at the sight of people than to regard us as food. Of course, there was a reason for that: for millennia, humans had attacked Cougars whenever possible, regarding them as a menace to safety and as competitors for valuable game. Showing one's face around Indians produced arrows, spears, and torches; later on, appearing around European settlers produced a faceful of lead. Aggressive cougars tended to die young, or to receive sufficient aversive conditioning to learn to leave humans alone.

Later on, a generalized revulsion against predators set in. As Baron notes (it's the source of his title, in fact), meat-eating was supposed by some to have begun with Original Sin -- "carnivores" in the Garden of Eden were said to have eaten fruits. In the post-lapsarian world, however, hunting was long seen as something manly, championed by those, like Teddy Roosevelt, who feared that excessive urbanization and industrialization would cause Americans to become too distanced from the reality of nature. But as that distancing took place in spite of Roosevelt's efforts, what is now called "fluffy bunny" syndrome appeared, and predators were regarded as inherently evil. Coupled with stockmen's continuing aversion to having their cattle and sheep eaten by predators, this produced programs of predator eradication that led to the near-extinction of cougars' only natural enemy, the gray wolf, and the removal of cougars from all but the most remote areas.

But then "fluffy bunny" syndrome extended itself to become "fluffy mountain lion syndrome." Government-sponsored cougar hunting ended, bounties were removed, and cougars started to make a comeback. Boulder's inhabitants disliked hunters, and liked the idea of living with wildlife, causing populations of deer in residential areas to explode. Meanwhile low-density housing meant that more and more people were living along the boundary between settled and unsettled areas. As cougars, their fear of humans having dissipated after years of not being hunted, moved into semiurban areas bursting with deer, they acclimated to human beings. People were no longer scary and, after a while, started to look like food.

It's at this point that Baron's book -- which is very much nonfiction -- starts to read like a thriller novel. Scientists and outdoorsmen began to warn of danger, but they were ignored by both the Boulder public -- which was sentimentally attached to the idea of free-roaming wildlife -- and state wildlife-protection bureaucrats, who downplayed first the presence, and then the danger, posed by the cougars. Dogs and cats started being eaten, cougars started threatening people, and yet meetings on the subject were dominated by people who "came to speak for the cougars."

In the end, of course, people started to be eaten, and the bureaucracy woke up to a degree. There's lots of interesting stuff in Baron's book about ecological change, and the folly of seeking "wilderness" without recognizing humanity's role in nature, but to me the most interesting behavior isn't the predatory nature of the cougars -- which are, after all, predators -- but the willful ignorance of human beings. So many were so invested in the notion that by thinking peaceful thoughts they could will into existence a state of peaceful affairs that they ignored the evidence right in front of them, which tended to suggest that cougars were quite happy to eat anything that was juicy, delicious, and unlikely to fight back.

This is, as Baron notes, something of a parable -- and not merely a parable of man and "nature." One need only look at the treatment of such other topics as crime, terrorism, and warfare to see examples of the same sort of misplaced sentimentality and willful ignorance. Tolerance of criminality leads to more crime; tolerance of terrorism leads to more terrorism; efforts to appear defenseless lead to war.

Nonetheless, the same strand of wishful thinking appears: perhaps this time, the cougars won't want to eat us. Some people, apparently, would rather be dinner than face up to the fact that nature is red in tooth and claw, and that -- in this fallen world, at least -- the lion lies down with the lamb only after the lamb's neck is broken. (Worse yet is the noxious strand of [thought] that suggests we somehow deserve to be dinner.)

In the United States, such silliness seems to have diminished in recent years, though it is still ongoing in Britain, where aggressive efforts to ban hunting . . . have produced promises of civil disobedience.

The effort to remake the world so that it is safe for predators seems rather odd to me. What sort of person would rather be prey? The sort who lives in upscale neighborhoods, and campaigns against hunting, apparently. I suspect that over the long term this isn't a viable evolutionary strategy in a world where predators abound.

I find this modern day conundrum amusing. I'm definitely an omnivore and like to eat meat, especially if I've killed it and processed it for cooking. I'd eat just about anything if it's prepared properly and I've killed and eaten animals that some people would find odd or even distasteful. For me the most important thing is to have respect for, and give thanks to, each creature that has given it's life so I can eat it for sustenance. Wonder what a cougar tastes like? Just kidding. Sort of. :)

tketcham……
Lynx are good, nice white meat, you just don’t need Jimmy sitting across from you, as you take that first tentative bite. Jimmy of course let out a big MEOW. I have eaten it many times since.
……BB

I think it is best to let Baron's book speak for itself, and avoid letting others use it for their agenda. The events in Boulder don't seem well covered, at least well summarized, so without reading Baron's book it is difficult to draw conclusions.
I did find another summary of the book. It suggests Baron drew a less extreme conclusion.

I certainly think wild spaces are valuable, including the wildlife in them. I also think we shouldn't get too comfortable, or let wildlife get comfortable around us.

I have no bear fears when backpacking in CO, because the bears are hunted here in most places, and fear man. In Yellowstone and Grand Tetons I'm frankly spooked.. those bears see a hundred hikers a day, never been hunted. We're just lucky that so far they havent' figured out that hikers are made of meat..

On the cougar question, it's settled down pretty well. I run trails and am active in that community, there really isn't any fear of attacks here. I know of only one recent attack which was a juvenile cougar, the runner beat up the cat ;-)

Now we have the reintroduction of wolves into CO. This was voted in by a ballot measure. Every big game biologist I know, is against it..
There isn't enough room left for wolves in CO, too many humans. The reintroduction is going to create all kinds of bitter fights. Every dead calf and lamb in CO is going to be a claim for damages against the state, CPW biologists are going to waste many man-years investigating the claims. After the claims get refused a few times, the farmers will be antagonistic toward the CPW, making the CPW job that much harder. CPW is funded by hunting and fishing licences, so their revenues drop every year. Now they have to support the reintroduction of wolves and use their limited funding on negotiating wildlife conflicts, rather than supporting the wildlife that is here. The suburbanites of Denver and the Front (st)Range voted for this, without understanding predators and land use - there's a fantasy that CO has lots of open spaces still, but those spaces are fenced and full of livestock in reality. Bah.

Back