• Happy Birthday, Doc Holliday (1851-1887)!

Ranting

Reaction score
Can you elaborate? And, do you mean the stem that was facing west, or West System?
Sorry, west system epoxy. I built the kayak in 1996 and I believe I tried a water based varnish. Obviously the varnish didn't last, I didn't take care of the kayak and UV damage slowly 'ate' the epoxy. You can see bare wood in spots and white e-glass in other parts. I should be more ashamed of myself for not taking better care of it.

Reaction score
All this stuff, all this talk. As someone who will be 75 this fall it has occurred to me that we need to start clearing out the homestead which contains over 49 yrs of stuff. In that timeframe we have lived in two houses. But when we moved into the current house 34 yrs ago everything from house #1 was simply packed and moved the 3/4‘s mile to the new place. This made the move easy and fast. But 10 yrs or so later while I kept avoiding the pile of still packed boxes in the basement it started to dawn on me that these unknown treasures were probably useless to me.

Fast forward to the pandemic. All this time at home and I start nosing around the house into all the storage spaces (a very big selling point when we bought the place in 1988.) My inventory revealed stuff like seven tents, eight sleep mats/pads, six camp stoves, 18 paddles, five canoes (with several stored offsite), 40 years of Canoe and Canoe/Kayak magazines and on and on. You get the picture.

So for the last several years I have been selling off a lot of this stuff which I have found feels great and is fun. I have met many nice canoe/outdoor folk, some of whom have become friends. Plus I pocketed around $5 grand. And made many, many trips to the local Goodwill.

Now I need to figure out how to get the misses to join me