• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Global Warming?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Had about all of it I can stand. Ready for spring and sunshine!

Climate change - more extreme temps and erratic precipitation. Stay tuned for more, folks!

Climate's been changing since we had a climate. Used to be glaciers where you live Gavia. Before that it was tropical at one time.

It turned into climate change when the global warming didn't work out. Anyway I'm ready for hot weather.

Personally, and I am not gong to debate the merits of it because it's just my opinion, Global Warming or Climate Change whatever you want to call it is not only happening, I believe we are contributing to it, but I also think there is little we can do about it at this point. It is as inevitable as the glaciers were and I truly believe that it's part of the cycle of the planet we live on and we are part of that planet. If we use up all the oil we will evolve and learn to live without it. And when I say we, I mean our grandchildren's grandchildren or even beyond. Our lives are but a nanosecond in the life of the earth and we are egotistical to think we can change the course of the planet evolving.

I think there are opportunistic people on both sides of the debate who are doing nothing but trying to capitalize on fear and ideology. But I suppose they are found all over the place.

It turned into climate change when the global warming didn't work out. Anyway I'm ready for hot weather.

It would be nice to have some thawing action. I got my utility bill for last month and it was a ouch. Going to be cold (below normal) for at least another week here in Iowa.

It'll be nice to be back to the cold. South Florida had a cold spell then the last two weeks have been a furnace..15 degrees above normal. 90 on Feb 1 is definitely not normal.

It's been a hard off season and I have a bad case of cabin fever this year. I keep opening my wallet and buying gear. A new paddle, new guide books for Canada, a new hammock, OK TWO, but one is for my stepdaughter, a new stove...

Red, not trying to stir up any controversy but who is profitting on the side of the argument questioning man-made global warming? We all know who made millions scaring people into believing it with many books, movies and donations. When the "warming" didn't happen it was quickly termed " climate change" and of course we can't argue that the climate doesn't change, it does, it's continual.

Warming is most certainly happening. Warming is causing the climate to change, dramatically in many cases. That's a fact as far as I am concerned. The debate is whether it is human caused or natural cycles. There are only theories about that because true scientific proof is unattainable, impossible to actually prove one way or another. Just my opinion, I am not a scientist nor have I spent my entire life studying the phenomenom as others have. Nobody is paying me to research it, I am not profiting from the potential impacts of legislative change.
There are opportunistic people everywhere. Where some collect money to battle climate change, others collect to stop the climate change activists. If the money that was put into lobbying was put into things that really mattered like, global food security, anti poverty initiatives, health care advances we'd all be better off.
I look at it like this, polluting is bad for me, so I try not to do it. I prepare as best I can for just about any disaster and hope for the best. To quote something from somewhere, "worrying about it is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing gum"

Believe what you want, I am not here to sway you or anybody else. I try to be a live and let live kind of guy. It's been a cold cold winter here, but weather does not make climate and I am looking forward to spring as well.

It's been a hard off season and I have a bad case of cabin fever this year. I keep opening my wallet and buying gear. A new paddle, new guide books for Canada, a new hammock, OK TWO, but one is for my stepdaughter, a new stove...
I really want to try a hammock before I buy one, but think I will just end up buying one anyways. Money's been tight around here this winter so I have been focusing on tweaking existing gear, trying to find the "perfect pack". I swear I prefer packing to canoeing.

I prefer packing to canoeing.

"Burn the witch!" LOL

If you get over on hammock forums, there's a bunch of helpful folks there. Whatever NWO stands for (Oregon or Ohio, I'm assuming), someone is probably close enough, physically, to meet up with you and let you try theirs out. Or, even better, get to a local "hang" and try out a bunch of different kinds. Just beware of information overload.

I looking at cutting more then 1/2 the weight of my tent and paddle, in a 1/4 of the space.

More importantly I looking for a good night sleep. I don't get one now wo/a large SI pad. It works canoeing with few carries, but is far too big to pack for hiking.

Last year I upgraded my SI pad to one that packed down to half the size as my old Therm-a-rest. How do you cut the weight of your paddle? I have my cherry water-rodent tail paddle I adore using. I use it for far too many other things to want to make it lighter somehow.

Maybe "believe" is not the right word. People "believe" in the Easter Bunny or in Santa Clause. But on the issue of global warming, aka climate change, a body understands or does not understand what climatologists are trying to say.

An irony is that the science appears to scandalize some people only on the surface. Deeper down it's the social political and economic implications, and that the message comes from "those people over there, who are not like us".

Climatologists study weather long term. Most of what we know about climate has come from them. People point out that climates have always changed. The better part of the understanding of that comes from climatologists.

For decades they detected some things that are distinctive about the current regime. They were working away quietly until a relatively few years ago. Then the matter got very public. To their general chagrin. Remember that '70s song, "What Have They Done To My Song, Ma?" by Melanie?

Nobody else knows climate like climatologists, and these days, after a lot of research and a lot of thinking, they are virtually unanimous in the opinion that the climate is warming dramatically and that our activities are a critical factor. It's serious, they say.

A critical factor, maybe a deciding factor. Not the only factor. They tell us that for sure the climate has always fluctuated for many internal systemic reasons, thru the vagaries of solar output, and purely by chance. But these days they add, there also is the growing and powerful influence of our own additions to the atmosphere piling on too.

Climatologists these days actually do know quite a lot about climates of the past. Methods and technology, and the sheer number of minds that have been working on the question for a very long time, have produced a remarkably clear and detailed picture of the past and a very good idea of how the atmosphere works.

In simple terms the atmosphere is something like a chain saw. If you add too much oil, or run it too rich or too lean, it doesn't work well. In fact, it can even stop working altogether.

Same with the atmosphere. If you suddenly release into the atmosphere all of those compounds and elements that had been stored in the earth for hundreds of millions or billions of years, the atmosphere simply can't handle it. All at once is the 200 hundred years since the start of the industrial age. The hundreds of millions and billions of years is the period since the creation of the fossil fuel deposits. Our atmosphere and all of life evolved with a dependency on a much, much slower rate of release of these compounds and elements.

Just as in the days of the debate about the effects of smoking, industries with a lot to loose have been sowing as much doubt and confusion as they possibly can. It doesn't take much. And really, now most of the criticism isn't about the science, it's about the "professors", the "liberals", the "government". And that's the way industry would like it, so people won't stop to consider the science. They'll focus on mistrust instead.

In any case, climatologists are the people who can see the big picture. They are our instruments. The old pilots' saying is that "when you start doubting your instruments, then friend you are in trouble".

The current run of weird weather, like many other recent patterns and incidents, is not attributed directly to global warming. It's about air masses out in the Pacific.

But the verifiable, rapid and worldwide rise in temps, among other things it does, interacts with natural occurrences. It can exaggerate them, make them more frequent, and just generally throw a wrench into the works of the only atmosphere we have.

The climate might be warming, but the weather ain't cooperating. My garden sits snugly under a winter blanket.

In the meantime, we're finding ways of keeping warm, planning planting and paddling, and waiting till spring.

Okay, she's knitting, and I'm planning. We're both keeping hydrated.:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back