• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Global Warming?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The phenomenon is climate change, not simply warming.

And it isn't just climatologists who see the changes. Botanists and foresters can tell you that the boundary between the northern hardwood forest and the boreal forest has been moving slowly northward for the past 20+ years. That's because it's getting too warm for the boreal biome to thrive, so it's being displaced by more heat-loving species like maple, oak, etc.

Good news! According to Meteorologists we have been in a cooling trend since 1998.

You might be referring to the observed slowing of the global rate of warming in that period.

That slowing is not unexpected. Changes like the one we are experiencing don't show straight line graphs. There are ups and downs, steeper parts and shallower parts, and even dips. There are lots of things going on.

That first was made clear to me in the mid 70s when I was shown a graph of the average yearly temperatures for the MA town where I lived. The graph went from the 1880s to the 1970s.

The line was lumpy, but you could see instantly that it rose.

I'm 67, and there plainly was the trough of the mid and late 50s that I had experienced as a boy. That was called a mini ice age. There were others.

I was told that overall the biggest change had occured in the springs and in the falls. Warmer weather had started sooner and had lasted longer.

There were ups and downs, but the strong trend was up, and during the time covered, it was mostly going on in the spring and fall.

What's new today is that there's a lot more understanding of how and why all of this is going on.

Well, when my girls were little, God Bless them, there would be squabbles and tussles. I tried to maintain a distance only intervening when it looked like somebody might get hurt. Just about the ultimate level of aggression would be when one started chasing the others with a pair of those child's scissors. The things were made of plastic and pretty much harmless. The aggressor would take both hands and working the scissors as fast as she could before her, chase her sister(s) through out the house, with vengeful cries of SNIP! SNIP!

Later when they became older and started exchanging cruel verbal barbs (much more hurtful than a pinch) the practice was dubbed "Snip Talk".

Now, I don't know much about the weather except it seems to get colder and my bones hurt more with each passing year. I suspect it's part of the aging process, don't know for sure, this is the first time I've ever got this old.
I do know that 'blood' drawn stays in the carpet and in the memory. What we have here on this forum sure seems to be unique and I'd hate to loose it.
By all means let's disagree and have discussions with vigor, but let's be gentle with the other guy's feelings. When you think about it: being "right" is such a short lived thing and in the end the worms get us all.

Hey! use those things on paper and stop pinching your sister!!! (or brother)

Rob

"I suspect it's part of the aging process, don't know for sure, this is the first time I've ever got this old."

HaHa, gotta remember that one, but then, the memory isn't what it once was.....
:(

I'm done with it. I simply presented a fact. People are free to do what they want with it. I will have nothing more to do with it. This is a very nice place to hang out and I apologize If I have created bad vibes here. Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back