• Happy Scream Day! 😱

Fundraising knife nearing completion. There is still time to enter the raffle.

Had a minor setback last night. That darn winter tent. No Klik or spam though, but broke down and had two B-Lites, ad a few ciggy's. Back on the wagon today and just heading out the door to go snowshoeing!

Some of the best advice I ever heard about dieting/quiting smoking was to not view falling off the wagon as a total failure. They said too many people have one slip and then figure all is lost and quit trying. A slip or two isn't the end of the world.

Hope snow shoeing was fun. A bit windy here for me to enjoy the outside today so I finally started cleaning my house and made room for Fred to come live with me.

Alan

I removed the donation announcement. There is still time to send a PayPal donation and be a part of the drawing for the "Ripster", ( Canoetrippping.net PayPal account @ rdlauer_00@yahoo.com. )

Thanks to all those who donated, and Thanks to Rippy and all those who participated in the fund raising banter, it's been alot of fun.

I'll wait for Rippy's announcement that the knife is done, then I'll set up the drawing, which I will video for everyone to see. I have invited my friend Steve Harvey over to help with the drawing...haha

CYT3WPJVAAEwx52.png

Last edited:
No mere belt carry will suffice. That is for the ordinary blade. I envision the ripster in a cross draw shoulder rig or something of that sort. Plus then you dont have to be, well, thin.

I like the idea of a shoulder rig. I detest having things attached to a belt. I’m a wide load, a bit clumsy and find carrying a sheath knife or pistol on my belt awkward. I’m constantly catching it on something or clunking it into things.

I tend to keep a sheath knife in my essentials bag and carry a slender lock blade SOG Trident in my pocket.

http://www.sogknives.com/trident-partially-serrated-black-tini-clam-pack.html

I could write volumes about the thought process trail I've been on, sometimes in circles, about choosing which blade(s) to carry on trips. Believe it or not it's been a 2 year adventure of learning and researching. And the basics are important, such as that the blade profile is as important for knife use as the blade material itself. The first question my wife and I had to answer might've been the hardest : Why carry a blade? We had to decide what purpose a blade would fulfill for either of us on a trip. Knives are often specialized in their designs. A skinner differs from a bushcraft differs from a kitchen slicer differs from a tactical differs from a ...I'm trying not to ramble, just trying to explain the funny way we decided upon the kind of carry Miranda chose. Our discussion went something like this.
" Okay Miranda, so you've narrowed down your knife use to strictly kitchen prep,this suggests a flat grind of stainless or semi-stainless fixed blade on your belt."
"I don't wear a belt. I hate belts on canoe tripping."
"Oh. Okay. Maybe a stainless flat grind pocket folder. There are quite a few of those too."
"I don't wear pockets on canoe tripping. I hate them."
"Oh. Okay. Hmm."
"I don't want to carry one really Brad, but do want it handier than having it always stashed in the kitchen pack."
So she's decided she'd prefer a fixed blade in a leather sheath carried on the food barrel harness. Well secured of course, but always handy for camp or trailside use. We're in no hurry to make the final purchase, though she's chosen a beauty. I'm waiting to see if she'll end up changing her tripping style. Slacks. With belt. And pockets.

I don't wear a sheath knife, I fasten it to the back side of my day pack. I always have a folder on me.

Canvas tripping pants, belt, folder on my belt next to the bangers (I have an old p&s camera case with the launcher and bangers in it, handy), spray on the other side.

I don't have a problem wearing a small knife like that in a regular belt sheath but like Rippy, I don't often wear a fix blade on myself, I always have a folder of some sort on me, and most of the time wile in the bush I have my axe at my side or in my hand!!

The Ripster must be carried on a belt, to attach it to a pack or hide it away would be pushing it into the category of "just another knife". Already I can hear the cries of anticipation from the Ripster as it sees me putting on my outdoor gear, much like my old Springer Spaniel, who would start to wag his nub of a tail 40,000 miles an hour if I took a step toward the gun cabinet. Gentle people of Canoetripping, give the Ripster his due!

Don'T worry Mem, it will ride on my side on a good leather belt and not only to go to the woods!!

Speaking of the Ripster. More pics in the other thread. One more week of paypal and then the drawing.
12316156_1143912808976571_6455724398310238936_n.jpg

Well, from the 13th to the 25th I'll be driving to and then paddling and camping the Florida Keys. It sounds like "The Ripster Show" starring Robin and Steve Harvey will be happening while I am gone and without any interweb devices available to find out the exciting results. In the off chance my name is drawn don't assume I am dead because I haven't responded with the excited post that winning the Ripster deserves. With any luck I'll be back!
​Dave

Well, from the 13th to the 25th I'll be driving to and then paddling and camping the Florida Keys. It sounds like "The Ripster Show" starring Robin and Steve Harvey will be happening while I am gone and without any interweb devices available to find out the exciting results. In the off chance my name is drawn don't assume I am dead because I haven't responded with the excited post that winning the Ripster deserves. With any luck I'll be back!
​Dave
It will take me a while to make your sheath anyway.

​Dave

I'm sorry. You must have missed the "must be present to win" in the fine print. So I guess in the event that your name is drawn there will have to be a re-draw.

Tough luck.

Alan

I removed the donation announcement. There is still time to send a PayPal donation and be a part of the drawing for the "Ripster", ( Canoetrippping.net PayPal account @ rdlauer_000@yahoo.com. )

Hi Robin:

I sent a $25 USD PayPal payment to your address: rdlauer_000@yahoo.com for the Canoetripping.net fundraiser. PayPal is showing the payment as unclaimed. I tried sending an email to that address as well and it keeps bouncing back. I just want to make sure my donation gets in on time.

Thanks,

NorseScotsman

Last edited:
Tick tock, tick tock. That's the sound of...

...Alan's feathered friend as she pecks at stray specks of seed around the workshop; and Alan looks at her strangely thinking "I must've hung out too long on the knife thread, cause now Peanut looks less like an amiable friend and more like a nice roast dinner."

...the special sheath Mike has fashioned as it sheds sparkly sequins, dropping them on the shop floor one by one. Is it a sign? Maybe from the other side where the ghosts of rugged men and women despised such tool trinkets? Or simply inferior glue stick failure?

...Rougey's fingers drumming on the kitchen table as he stares at the calendar hoping the dogsled-snowshoe-tramp steamer-pony rider gets to Connecticut on time with his Canadian funny money.

...the old clock on Robin's wall keeping time with the crackling sound of burning logs in the workshop stove, counting down time on the knife thread draw.

...tick tock...

Hi Robin:

I sent a $25 USD PayPal payment to your address: rdlauer_000@yahoo.com for the Canoetripping.net fundraiser. PayPal is showing the payment as unclaimed. I tried sending an email to that address as well and it keeps bouncing back. I just want to make sure my donation gets in on time.

Thanks,

NorseScotsman

Sorry!-I gave the wrong email address, should be only 2 zeros, rdlauer_00@yahoo.com very sorry for this, I need to be more careful.

Tick tock, tick tock. That's the sound of...

...the old clock on Robin's wall keeping time with the crackling sound of burning logs in the workshop stove, counting down time on the knife thread draw.

...tick tock...

My wife came out last night while I was "working" in the shop...working 12oz. at a time....

"Who you talking to" she asked...

"Oh, I was just singing along to the radio" I quickly answered

"The F*&%$#G radio isn't even on" she said

OK...Ok...You caught me...I was rehearsing my lines for Fridays drawing, trying to learn how to correctly pronounce French and Indian names, in case one of them wins...looking for cute and funny lines to keep up with my peeps....you don't know the pressure I'm under. What if I pull a Steve Harvey...what if our Granddaughter pulls a milt down at the drawing..I'll be the Coleman Canoe of all past and present administrators. You ever see that guy Rippy's look, heck, he'll jump in the car and head east with one of his 12" Rippy Killers and I'll be history faster than you can say "Memaquays Underwear"

"Your the one who wanted to be Mr Internet" she said as she walked back to the house.She always says that when I'm crying about something I won't even remember in a week.

"Thanks Honey, I needed that"

I was rehearsing my lines for Fridays drawing, trying to learn how to correctly pronounce French and Indian names

Easy, it’s “Muh-Cray” with a hard A and the emphasis on the last syllable

Back