• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Fuel options

Okay now I remember watching a video on the Trangia stove in action as was quite impressed. But to get the kit is over $100 at mec.ca

http://www.clikstand.com/p_combinations_ssteel.html

Sierra Combo - $65 US for the stove and stand. The stoves are cheap but that stand is the bomb.com - sturdy, compact, light and windproof. You can get Ti but for canoe tripping, SS is plenty light enough.

The only other thing I bought is a Trangia fuel bottle. They aren't necessary but I really like the lock and deliver function on them. Never had it leak. I never leave fuel in my stove, even though I could (it's hard to douse them without getting burned) but after a few times of use you should be able to estimate how much you need to boil your water... I usually can get it so it burns about a minute after I pull the pot... better than running out, it is a bit tricky to refill the stove hot because the fuel vaporizes so quickly... I usually let it sit for a couple minutes before refueling a reusing.

OK, color me stupid (or maybe just a bit thick) but I don't get putting a fan on a twig stove.

You would have to try it out to get the full effect. Essentially, you create a small blast furnace that will burn anything. It boils water faster than any gas stove I have ever used.

For those of you who exclusively use either twig stoves or open fire, do you carry another stove in the event of a fire ban?

I prefer a cooking over a fire if I'm going to be at that site for a couple nights. This makes it worth the trouble of processing a hardwood into firewood. Usually, I just can't find enough good, solid, dry hardwood branches on the ground, and pine is awful to cook over (no coals, lots of soot). I use a stove purely out of convenience, because I am either tired, hungry, or lazy, and want to eat NOW. What I bring depends on the trip... If it's an easy trip w/short-easy-no portages, I'll bring my MSR Simmerlite (white gas or unleaded). If it's a harder trip, I'll bring my MSR Pocket Rocket (butane. still lighter than the Simmerlite). If it's really tough, I'll bring an alcohol stove (my favorite being the SuperCat).

http://www.clikstand.com/p_combinations_ssteel.html

Sierra Combo - $65 US for the stove and stand. The stoves are cheap but that stand is the bomb.com - sturdy, compact, light and windproof. You can get Ti but for canoe tripping, SS is plenty light enough.

Now I really don't get it (said somewhat tongue-in-cheek). Why spend all that money when you it would buy half a good paddle. Try this, made from a piece of stovepipe:

228EsbitAflame2_400.jpg

memaquay said:
Essentially, you create a small blast furnace that will burn anything. It boils water faster than any gas stove I have ever used.

That might not work so well for HV meals, assuming they cook better if the water is brought to boil slowly.

Now I really don't get it (said somewhat tongue-in-cheek). Why spend all that money when you it would buy half a good paddle. Try this, made from a piece of stovepipe:

View attachment 428

Spend some time on that site. That stand is a nice piece of kit. The stoves, despite being cheap, are a very proven design, and are very well made and nearly bullet proof.

I'm willing to shell out some dough for something that is nicely engineered and made from good material - I do it quite often.

I'm sure I could have rigged something out of old scrap metal and coat hangers but this thing clips together nicely, is light, sturdy, blocks the wind nicely, and breaks down very compact. I have no doubt that stove and stand will never let me down short of being run over by a bus... I bought it with the intention it would be the last stove I ever buy... I hope it is.

I spend a lot more on other things I know won't last forever... my BA tent is one. Costs a heck of a lot more and I'm sure will die long before that stove and stand ever will.

Last edited:
I have a very large, old( 50's vintage) Coleman 500 sportsman single burner. It is a naptha stove and it works super good. I do love my two burner coleman naptha too but I have to admit a new flirtation with a cheap screw on single burner propane stove we used last month on the Rabbit River. It is light, cooks awesome and is easy to use.
I am taking a grill with me this time to cook over a fire if the occasion arises. It's a little more work but I like it once in a while. If it is raining or I am in a hurry, or on the trail, the little propane seems like a great option. I have a twig stove that may get some use too, just to see how it is.

And NO I dont just boil water. I cook.

I much prefer to stove cook, usually an MSR Simmerlite. A Dragonfly is added if there is a group of us. White gas for fuel. I carry an ultralight Superfly and a 4 oz gas cartridge for those weather days where I'm stuck in a tent.

I like white gas; fast, clean, consistent. Propane canister stoves are an emergency kind of thing for me. Easy and safe to use in a tent.

If I'm in an area that allows a fire I enjoy one after dinner along with a nip o' The Macallan.

Back