• Happy National Nurses Day! 🛌👩‍⚕💉💊🎉

Free strongbacks and composite cloth cabinet

Alan Gage

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not doing any canoe building at this time and don't have room for these at the moment. Happy to give them away to someone from this site if interested. The strongbacks are around 17' long each (have built 18.5' canoes on them). There are 2 of them.

The fabric cabinet is wonderful and can hold rolls up to 60" wide. Really nice having that flat fold down table to cut cloth on. Easy and clean way to store multiple rolls of fabric.

I'm in Estherville IA which is about 3 hours from Minneapolis and 1.5 hours from Mankato.

Strongback by Alan, on Flickr

20151031_004 by Alan, on Flickr

20151031_003 by Alan, on Flickr

20151028_002 by Alan, on Flickr

20151028_001 by Alan, on Flickr

Alan

Google says it's 1000km so sounds about right. You can stop by Austin, MN along the way to load up on factory direct SPAM.

Alan

All I can say is that's a garage...!!! Wahoo! I try and not covet another man's possessions too outwardly, but hard not to in this case...

My wife say's I can leave any day now, but I can't return until I make my shop look as clean and organized as yours... what's for dinner?!

I just know you are itching for a road trip to NH and the fabric cabinet would be great in my new shop! When should I expect you? :D BTW, that is a serious amount of space for a workshop!

I'd be interested, if I had room !

I am so crowded at My shop ! I need to lose weight (100#) Just to get around !

I'll check with the guys at the Wood shop.

Jim

Last edited:
Those pictures are in my old work shop but I sold that property last summer so now I've set up my work shop in a small 2 stall garage so space is tight.

As for cleanliness the picture with the strongback was taken right after I built the building, before I'd had a chance to "personalize" it by strewing junk everywhere.

Sorry Doug. No plans to head East ever again. Too many people. But my new place is right next to a lake and the river is close by with some decent camping opportunities if you wanted to take a road trip. Maybe you could even find a canoe or two to haul back as well.

Alan

Can't be Alan's workspace, there are no chickens.

Ahh, the good old days of building canoes with my chickens. Two of the original six still survived when we made the move to the new house last summer. Woke one night to the cries of a panicked chicken and rushed out into the dark to find one of them missing and a few piles of feathers scattered around the lawn. Was shocked to wake up in the morning and find I still had two healthy chickens! Sadie and I must have scared off the intruder just in time.

They made it through a rough winter and got a couple nice spring days picking worms from puddles in the ditch before a mink came on consecutive nights and wiped them out. Peanut butter, pictured below, was the last to go.

20151220_001 by Alan, on Flickr

Alan

That's sad news Alan. Sometimes life just ain't fair. Hope the new place is coming along.

ps. Your fabric cabinet is neater and tidier than my clothes closet. I always thought random creases in clothing was cool.

Last edited:
Back