• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

Adding a thicker hem to heat sealable material

G

Captain Obvious strikes again. After 10 years of making DIY dry bags and etc from heat sealable fabric, and often wishing I had a thicker hem than just two layers of material ironed over together (think dry bag fold over closures, or seating grommets), the solution finally occurred to me.

First, an experiment. Piece of scrap heat sealable Packcloth to iron over together, with an experimental double thick hem. The two narrow strips of material go inside the to-be-ironed area, heat sealable sides facing up and down, so the reinforcing strips on the inside will heat-adhere to the folded over dry bag material.

P1250001 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

That does mean making the hem a little wider, but in some (many) applications, like at the roll over top and bottom corner grommets on DIY dry bags, that isn’t an issue. In this case I’ll iron down a two inch hem; one inch covering the narrow strips of reinforcement material on the inside, one inch beyond those is proven-plenty for a tight and durable edge seal.

To assure that nothing moved or shifted while clamping the fence in place or ironing I put a teeny dab of adhesive on the strips, to hold them aligned exactly in place before commencing to iron. And, to be certain everything was fully heat sealed together on the 4 layer thick hem, I ironed down both sides of the test piece.

With both sides ironed down (and the ironing fence removed clamping a board over the still-hot sealed area for some compression while the material cools doesn’t hurt.

P1260003 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Nice even seal along the fence side, impossible to pull apart, with a thicker, stiffer hem edge.

P1260006 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Well dang, I really like that double (quadrupled) layer of Packcloth thick hem. I had been running 1” Gorilla tape around the open end on DIY dry bags, which helps stiffen the roll over edges and keep them unleaky unwrinkled when fold rolled closed.

P7301064 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

That Gorilla tape reinforcement copied the thick black vinyl stiffener strip on manufactured dry bags

P8021111 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

But Gorilla tape costs money, and there are always excess pieces of heat sealable scrap left over. The doubled thickness hem looks cleaner, and no worries about the Gorilla tape adhesive going gooey under a hot sun (hasn’t happen yet, knock wood)

That is already a success. Let’s see how that 4 layer hem thickness does with seating grommets or snaps.

P1270010 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Hmmm, the 1” wide inner strips, which are not sealed to each other on the inside, just happen to fit an old Timberline tent pole perfectly.

P1270011 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

That doubled fabric technique would be an easy way to make a pole sleeve at any specific diameter. I am now chagrinned at the dozens of dry bags (and sail and etc) made with heat sealable material without using that doubled fabric trick. For a sleeve I’d use a single piece of heat sealable scrap folded in half, so the outside edge of the sleeve was wrap-around two layers reinforced.

Oh yeah; easy, material inexpensive (actually free, there’s always scrap heat sealable left from template cuts) and a twice as thick, tougher edge. Only took Captain Obvious 10 years and a couple dozen DIY dry bags to figure that out.

That doubled hem would be especially useful with Seattle Fabrics lighter-weight (less expensive) heat sealable materials like 70D Taffeta, 200D Ripstop or 200D Oxford cloth. We used the Oxford for some instrument dry bags, and even in a sea kayak use those are still going strong a hundred trips later.

https://www.seattlefabrics.com/Heat-Sealable-Nylons_c_80.html

Live and learn. I’m jonsing to try that trick on the next heat sealable project. I have a lot of (dark blue) scrap Packcloth. Might have to order a couple yards of lighter weight stuff, in a brighter, more visible color and use the scrap Packcloth for a thicker reinforcing hem.

Maybe red Oxford cloth again, the odd sized scraps, ironed together with a grommet punched through, make easy car topping flags for the canoe overhang.

P9250012 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I need a few more of those; one red flag left with each canoe sold last year.

Hi Mike

I don't know if this stuff would help. It's a tape that is just a strip of hot melt adhesive so it could go between two untreated surfaces and bond them or bond a coated side to a non-coated side of a seam. If you use it for exposed seam sealing or similar stuff you need something non-stick between it and the iron. I expect that using it inside a partially or fully felled sewn seam and then ironing it would make a pretty good invisible seam sealant. And a search for "hot melt tape" on eBay shows a lot of it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DJ2U01O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AZ9C0085L5W97&th=1

Maybe a strip of this stuff would help stiffen the closure strip and give a way to connect your buckle or hook and loop closures to.

https://www.onlinefabricstore.net/black-hot-melt-seam-seal-tape-.htm

Best regards to all,

Lance

I don't know if this stuff would help. It's a tape that is just a strip of hot melt adhesive so it could go between two untreated surfaces and bond them or bond a coated side to a non-coated side of a seam.

Interesting stuff, and I can see how it might be helpful in applications where the fabric itself was not already heat sealable. But it is $20 a roll, or $2 a yard, and there is always leftover heat sealable fabric left after cutting the material for dry bags and etc.

I still have a boxful of linear heat sealable scraps, even after using a lot for various flags.

Your right about "free" stuff you already paid for as opposed to buying new stuff. I suspect that all or nearly all of the hot melt heat seal tape comes from someplace like China. As I looked around the internet and especially eBay prices were all over the place with stuff shipped directly from China being the least expensive by far. I didn't spend any time scouting for better prices for the heat seal ribbon, though. I still have a few bigger projects to knock out before taking a shot at drybags and such.

Lance

Your right about "free" stuff you already paid for as opposed to buying new stuff.

Absolutely. And yet, despite having a few yards of unused dark blue Packcloth on a roll, and a boxful of blue scrap, I ordered a two yards of heat sealable Oxford cloth from Seattle Fabrics. I specifically wanted red for some projects, and the Tafetta and RipStop heat sealable fabrics apparently only come in black. Not a fan of black dry bags, or much else, for a variety of reasons.

The 200D Oxford cloth and 400D Packcloth are available in different colors

https://www.seattlefabrics.com/Heat-Sealable-Nylons_c_80.html

For two yards of Oxford cloth, enough for multiple dry bags, and two more multi-color “Sample packs” to play with, the shipping cost from Seattle was reasonable ($7).

After I make some stuff in red and have more scrap I may stripe the remaining heat sealable side of the sail, just for distinctive funsies.

If anyone has scrap heat sealable in yellow or orange, or bygone pink, or even black, I’ll trade some dark blue Packcloth.

Back