• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

First time boat build ever, Freedom 17

18ft of strip, should be long enough for a 17. I build solos at 15'9" out of 16' strips.

That bit should work, But I prefer the two separate cutters, as they have a wider span between the cutting blades edges.
That in my mind equates into a smoother cut.

Jim

Last edited:
No Title

Today I had only two rain showers, and temperature right now is 48 degrees. So I cut all three of my cedar boards up into 1/4" strips, the skilsaw worked very good for me, I used a digital caliper to check them and they all seemed to come out good, I had a variation of about .01 to .03 on some strips. I got a total of 66 usable strips out of them three boards, looks like I am going to have to pick up one more cedar board. Basically I have got two different colors. Now I got to order some bits so I can bead and cove.

Attachments

• photo3290.jpg
    photo3290.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Looking good, did you loft your own forms or use the file I sent you?

Nicely done, good to have extra. Fun to sort for the best.
I always look for real dark cedar, and on occasion, throw in some Aspen.
IMG_0826_zps8caeppgz.jpg

Hello David, No I did not use the files you sent me, by the way your drawings looked very good. I used my plans and traysed them onto the plywood sheets, while I was in Florida some one helped them self to my 2x4 tubular aluminum beam.

Jim Dodd, very nice looking canoe, you did a great job on it.

OH, if you can possibly find some redwood. A friend who's strips I cut, beaded and coved. Used some redwood, you can see three of his leftover strips in this hull.
Thanks !

Jim

No Title

I've been playing around with my cad program today trying to come up with some sort of a design for the bottom of the canoe when I get that far, no bead and cove bits yet. I need to be doing something to keep myself occupied. Here is one design that I came up with, I am trying to get it to look like a campass needle, it is 6 ft long. Probably use ash and a 1/4" black walnut border strip around it. What you all think? Comments please, good or bad !

Attachments

• photo3292.jpg
    photo3292.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I also like the design !

I would opt for Aspen instead of Ash. It will stay white under the glass , and a big plus for Aspen, it's easier to sand than Ash.

Jim

No Title

I have changed my design of the compass needle a bit witch I like better.
I could not find any aspen wood for it, so I went to Lowes and got the lighted peace of poplar I could find, I am using poplar for the hole pattern, I am going to add a dark color to the shaded area of the needle.

Since My wife is working down in Florida, I can get away with doing this! I set up half of the strong back and the five center forms and lined every thing up, I then cut all my strips for the design and glued them up and mounted it to the forms. When I took it off the forms it held its shape very well, now I just got to find a spot to store it until next spring for when I actually start the build.

Attachments

• photo3295.JPG
    photo3295.JPG
    200 KB · Views: 0
  • photo3296.jpg
    photo3296.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo3298.jpg
    photo3298.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo3297.jpg
    photo3297.jpg