• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

First canoe build

I like the skill saw setup also.
Not my best look, but it is quick and easy, well other then my trying to get my back to straighten up afterwards.IMG_20230425_160306356_HDR.jpg
Looking forward to following along.
Roy

Thanks for the video

Travis
I hope it helps. I used the table saw on my first build, and it did good, but the boards had to have 2 square sides. I used saw mill lumber, very uneven and far from square. All that didn't matter as much with the skil saw method. With a little attention when ripping, the strips were very consistent.
Roy

I went and purchased a bandsaw in hopes of having less wood waste because of its thin blade, however it was a disaster when I tried ripping my first board. I have next to no experience with bandsaws. So I'm sure that's the reason behind the failure.
I ended up using the tablesaw, which seemed to work pretty good but alot of waste. I never even considered a skilsaw. I do have a spare one I could setup for strips, and try it out.

Thanks for the links

Travis
Be sure you Skilsaw, is rated for at leas 13 AMPs. Most now days are 15 AMP.

The Skilsaw method is night and day better than a Band saw, or a Table saw !
Me, some 30+ years ago, cutting strips with a 13 AMP. Makita. That saw is still capable !
Scan0008_zps69f71257.jpg

My saws have evolved, over the years. A Vise grip for a handle, and a bucket to keep the saw handy, and off the ground.
This Old craftsman has done a lot of cutting !

IMG_0281_zpsoxusqebj.jpg

A tip when Bead and coving your strips. Run your strips Between the fence and the router bit.
First pass will true your strips to identical width !

IMG_3656.JPG

Jim,
That's a good tip. I've run all my strips through the router for the first side. I'll setup so they go between the router bit and fence for the opposite side.

Thanks

Jim,

As for the skilsaw method, I will definitely try it for the next build. However, I may need to purchase a different skilsaw. The ones I have are 15amp, but they are called wormdrive skilsaws which weigh approx 15lbs as opposed to regular skilsaws at approx 8-9 lbs. Think mine will get very cumbersome after awhile.

On a side note, I'm looking at making some Jimmy clamps. Did you do a thread on how to make them?

Yes. A Worm drive is definitely over kill, and a beast when cutting that many strips ! Yes a on the clamps .
Spring clamps !

You may also be interested in the Bungee Cord straps, designed by another canoe builder, with my same name. Crazy I know.
Here is a link to my last build thread, that shows the Bungee clamps. They work great.

A stripper and a composite
Tried to type in stripper, and composite build, but it through it out. Ha.

Last edited:
Yes. A Worm drive is definitely over kill, and a beast when cutting that many strips ! Yes a on the clamps .
Spring clamps !

You may also be interested in the Bungee Cord straps, designed by another canoe builder, with my same name. Crazy I know.
Here is a link to my last build thread, that shows the Bungee clamps. They work great !

Bungee clamps

Tried to type in stripper, and composite build, but it through it out. Ha.
Jim, I think you messed up the second link, it doesn't seem to go to the other JDs clamps.

Jim, I think you messed up the second link, it doesn't seem to go to the other JDs clamps.

Thanks Cruiser !
I corrected it, I think ?
The link on the first page, down aways, shows the Bungee cord design, that the Other, Jim Dodd came up with. Again it works great !

I corrected it, I think ?
The link on the first page, down aways, shows the Bungee cord design, that the Other, Jim Dodd came up with. Again it works great !

Here is a link directly to the post where Jim Dodd pictures the bungee cord clamps:

Travis, nice shop setup and build beginning!

Back