• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

fiberglass question

Pat

Reaction score
I am about to order my epoxy and fiberglass from RAKA for my first strip canoe build. They have woven and stitched. Which do I need or does it matter? Also do you think the 3 gallon kit would be enough for a 16 foot canoe?

Last edited:
I would call them and ask for their recommendations. Alternatively, look up Noahs Marine site and look at their "Canoe Covering Kits", they sell complete kits to do thi step. You can get the quantities from the kit description, or just buy a kit

I've ordered from RAKA so many times ! They have been great !

I like the 6 oz E-glass Woven. Stitched is not what you want for a clear finish, plus there are other challenges involved. If you are going with the single layer in and out ? Order twice the length plus a yard. 11, or 12 yds should do it. I double layer the outside football area, so I order 5 more yds. If you talk them in to sending it folded ? you will save on shipping. I've had no troubles with folded cloth !

I haven't discussed it with them, but if you could have them cut the cloth, into two, or 3 pieces and fold them in one package ? You would save the hassle of cutting it later. I know it would be extra cloth, but more convenient !

Yes, go with the three gallon kit ! I use the 127 resin, and the 350 non blush hardener !

One more thing ! I order just one pump ! I use this only for the Hardener. This will prevent you from getting the two jugs mixed up ! It happens !

I premark clear cups ahead of time, for 9 oz batches. Fill about 6 cups up to the 6 oz resin level, when you are going to wet out the cloth, and need a cup of mixed epoxy ? Just pump 3 oz of hardener, and mix !

edited-image_zps7z13jhp8.png

Back