• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

East to West through Okefenokee NWR

Reaction score
Here is a trip report for a January trip through the Okefenokee. I enjoyed the trip more than I expected. It is a really neat place to paddle.

As noted in the report, we had good results with cabin use and shuttle service by Okefenokee Pastimes, in Folkston, Ga. At the conclusion of the shuttle, I tried to tip our driver, Dale, but he wouldn't take it. Rather, he suggested that if we were pleased with the service, he would prefer a plug on the internet over a tip. Consider this a shameless plug!

That's a great trip report! I took a quick tour of the Okefenokee a few years ago, and was surprised at how, once we got off what I'll call a canal, the area was so open. It wasn't at all like what I thought a swamp would look like. That said, I loved your pictures. It sounds like you had a really great trip!

Great trip report. I've done that trip, as well as many others in the swamp, and had the same experience on day 2 with all the low hanging brush and branches. When we went the map still indicated there were two day platforms with composting toilets between the platforms so we were looking forward to being able to step out of our canoes and stretch a bit. Unfortunately, both platforms had been wiped out the past winter during fires so all we found were charred remains so we were up the proverbial creek on being able to stand up on a hard surface.

By the way...did you take the short detour off Billy's Lake to head over to Billy's Island? There's a lot to see there and if you didn't, I would certainly recommend the side trip if you ever go back.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

By the way...did you take the short detour off Billy's Lake to head over to Billy's Island? There's a lot to see there and if you didn't, I would certainly recommend the side trip if you ever go back.

Thanks for that hint, Snapper. Third day of the trip I was on a mission, trying to beat the rain that was forecast for the afternoon and then make the 5-hour drive to Vero Beach, so I didn't spend time exploring the Billys Lake area. But, I enjoyed the swamp and expect to go back. So, I'll keep it in mind.

Prior to the trip I spent a day paddling from SCF SP to Griffis, across the Sill. Discounting the portage of about 250 paces, that's also a delightful trip. For future trips, I'll consider bringing a canoe cart and extending the swamp trip onto the Suwanee, maybe down to the Florida SCF SP.

Chip - When you go to Billy's Island there is a small sign with a map that shows the village that once inhabited the island. There is a small cemetery with lots of untold stories buried with all its inhabitants. I've been lucky enough to meet one of the relatives that still comes to tend the graves. He told us lots of stories about the folks who are buried there. He also pointed out a couple of palm trees that are not native to the forest. The story goes that the family was so angry about being forced off their land for the refuge that they planted these two palms at the corners of their lot so they would always have a presence on the island. If you know where to look, they really do stick out like a sore thumb.

Other explorations of the island will lead you to debris from the old rail yards and even a few, what are believed to be, burial mounds. You can spend a lot of time walking around and checking it all out so be sure to give yourself some time. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

snapper

PS - The saddest story the gentleman told us about a person buried in the cemetery was about a 12 year old boy. Apparently he was totally deaf and as he was walking along the rails he didn't hear the train coming. You can guess the rest but how this man told that story has truly effected me whenever I think about it. What a tragedy.

Snapper. We are going to Foster tomorrow and plan to travel to Billys Island Sunday. Its been a long time and thanks for the tips.

Last edited:
Kim - Sorry I didn't see this sooner or I would have replied. Hope your trip went well and you enjoyed your time in the swamp. Personally, although I'm a northern paddler, the Okefenokee is one of my favorite places.

snapper

Back