• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

E-6000, new (to me) adhesive

G

Dang, another adhesive that seems to have many potential applications, available anywhere from hardware stores to Walmart to Dollar General.

https://www.dollargeneral.com/e-6000...SABEgIZoPD_BwE

Originally a jewelry making adhesive, E-6000 adhered firmly between a heat sealable fabric coating and poly webbing . Sticking betwixt those two surfaces is a helluva low motility adhesion test. E-6000 passed.

I may be done with Plumbers Goop, my preferred perimeter bead sealant/adhesive for minicel to hull applications after contact cementing. E-6000 is less expensive, and seems to adhere better to a variety of materials.

Exceptional adhesion to wood, metal, glass, fiberglass, ceramics, and concrete. It also adheres strongly to leather, rubber, vinyl and many plastics. Dries clear and once cured, it is waterproof, washer/dryer safe, paintable and safe for photographs.

I may have a new go-to 3 oz tube of squeezable adhesive.

Anyone else use E-6000? And for what?

Been using it for over 20 years. Forms a great head on large offshore saltwater flies. I use a rotating drying wheel. Started using it not for its strength, but for the property that it stays clearer longer. Most all of the similar type products will eventually start to yellow. Amber might be a better description. E-6000 has better UV resistance than the other goop style products. And because it is always on my tying bench, it gets utilized quite often. Good stuff.

Last edited:
Been using it for over 20 years. Forms a great head on large offshore saltwater flies. I use a rotating drying wheel. Started using it not for its strength, but for the property that it stays clearer longer. Most all of the similar type products will eventually start to yellow. Amber might be a better description. E-6000 has better UV resistance than the other goop style products. And because it is always on my tying bench, it gets utilized quite often. Good stuff.

I now know that it worked tenaciously between poly webbing and heat sealable fabric, which is a tough test. What other applications and surfaces have worked well using E6000? I am wondering it if would work better than Plumbers Goop to seal the perimeter edge of contact cemented minicel to Royalex or composite hulls.

I wish I had known about E6000 years ago. It is available everywhere from hardware stores to Walmart, so I have seen it thousands of times but never tried it before now.

BTW, the adhesivology guru mentioned E-6800, which is more UV resistant and is apparently available in black as well as clear. I can see some black-on-black occasions where that would be advantageous.

http://eclecticproducts.com/e6800-in...-adhesive.html

I really like that the applicator nozzles from 3.7 oz Goop tubes fits perfectly on the threads of the 3 oz E6000 tube. I clean and save those Goop applicator nozzles and have a variety with different aperture opening cut off.

E6000 is definitely good stuff, and makes me wonder what other commonly available adhesives and glues I have simply overlooked for various applications.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike, looks like I'll have to pick some up and give it a try!

I am hoping it stores and keeps as well over time as the similar Goop tube products. I thought I had all of the handiest adhesive products for various applications, but E6000 has found a home.

Mike, I find that it stores and keeps equally as well as similar style products. Thins well with lacquer thinner if needed.

Mike, I find that it stores and keeps equally as well as similar style products. Thins well with lacquer thinner if needed.

It is funny how excited a shop tinkerer can get about a useful new adhesive. Sometimes too useful.

I realized, days after the webbing was E-6000 glued at the dry bag sleeve opening, that I had effed up on the webbing. The bitter end of that webbing strap should be tucked back into the sleeve opening and then glued or sewn in place. Just as on a manufactured dry bag, without leaving a bitter end loose.

Too late now, that smear of E6000 is has quite a tenacious hold between the heat sealable fabric and the poly webbing.

BTW, your cut-off replies to Adhesivology was likely the dreaded Apostrophe killer.

I like T-88 gel for real small batches. It doesn

What does (see what I did there) T-88 not do?

Last edited:
E-6000, Amazing Goop and Shoe Goo are all made by Eclectic Products and all use the same basic compound, Styrene Butadiene Copolymer, in various formulations. This polymer is also used in several different roofing sealants, which come in caulk tubes. Through the Roof sealant by Sashco is one that I am familiar with. We used it on the roof that I just replaced this week and it was still stuck to the flashing very strongly. I just bought some Amazing Goop Marine for use as gutter and flashing sealant. I had originally intended to get E-6000, but saw that the Amazing Goop Marine claimed UV resistance and was slightly cheaper. The only thing that I have noticed after years of exposure is some yellowing of the previously clear polymer. One of the main differences in these products is the viscosity. Shoe Goo is very thick and E-6000 is thinner. E-6000 is also available in single use tubes, which I find to be very handy. The shelf life of the unopened tubes appears to be quite long.

E-6000, Amazing Goop and Shoe Goo are all made by Eclectic Products and all use the same basic compound, Styrene Butadiene Copolymer, in various formulations. This polymer is also used in several different roofing sealants, which come in caulk tubes.

One of the main differences in these products is the viscosity. Shoe Goo is very thick and E-6000 is thinner. E-6000 is also available in single use tubes, which I find to be very handy. The shelf life of the unopened tubes appears to be quite long.

Gawd I love the information and expertise on this board. Styrene Butadiene Copolymer. . . . where else ya gonna learn that?

E6000 is handily thinner than the various Goos or Goops. I just did an experimental bead, painting a comparison of E6000 vs Plumbers Goop around the perimeter edge of grommets, to provide some metal-to-fabric softening effect. The E6000 was far less vicious and easier to apply with a tiny paintbrush.

This will be a long duration experiment; Aqua-Seal has proven to work well for years in that application, but it is pricey and does not store well over time.

Back