• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

New Canoe Outfitting Project

Mike,
Thanks for all the information. I live in canoe Siberia compared to the all the knowledgeable people around here. I am envious of the interest in racing, group canoe events, and even the personalized outfitting. Through the wood canoe forum I did meet a guy north of Reno that has built lots of wood and canvas canoes. I met with him and he has offered his help with things like a hot box for bending ribs.

Giving away canoes is something that never has even occurred to me. It is a very powerful gesture. I recently took 2 young people on a week long trip and felt very positive about passing along the lore.

Most of what I have learned about outfitting has been from reading. It is very revealing to read your posts with the excellent pictures.
I have a tradition with the 1951 OT, that is painted white. It looks like a canvas, so I tend to draw on the four corners, depending on the river we are going to run. Mostly Northwest Indian type motifs. I drew a buffalo skull for the Missouri River in Montana for Charlie Russell Land.

The more I think about your Gogetch the cooler I think the idea is. I might have to come up with a personal logo for myself.

Alan

I have a tradition with the 1951 OT, that is painted white. It looks like a canvas, so I tend to draw on the four corners, depending on the river we are going to run. Mostly Northwest Indian type motifs. I drew a buffalo skull for the Missouri River in Montana for Charlie Russell Land.

Ppine, I have been thinking of adding this to the next canoe that goes down the Green in Utah:

The more I think about your Gogetch the cooler I think the idea is. I might have to come up with a personal logo for myself.

Alan, when I was going through the Gogetch file I came across templates that other folks have had added to their canoes, usually one-offs for a particular boat, including a “Chicken smoking a pipe in the ferns” on an old Explorer for a friend who raises chickens.

I also name or rebadge some hulls; the Rambler above is a soloized Phoenix Vagabond that reminded me of a Rambler station wagon, the butterfly is actually a Viceroy painted on a Monarch.

I like the tradition of a Gogetch maker’s mark to designate that “This is a boat from my shop”. If you come up with your personalized Gogetch please show and tell.

Mike,
I used to work with a lot of archaeologists and have visited plenty of petroglyphs. I like the bighorn sheep and have used that on my canoe for the Green. The image in your photo falls in the general category of "space men." There are lots of images of human like figures with unusual appendages. I have a bighorn, a space man and a hand print on the side of my house.

Mike,
I used to work with a lot of archaeologists and have visited plenty of petroglyphs. I like the bighorn sheep and have used that on my canoe for the Green. The image in your photo falls in the general category of "space men." There are lots of images of human like figures with unusual appendages. I have a bighorn, a space man and a hand print on the side of my house.

Ppine, I’ve seen several examples of the odd “space man” petrogylphs, some with large trapezoidal bodies, arms and legs and what look like antenna.

At Arches Nat’l Park there are (at least) three petroglyph panels that are not in any Park literature and do not have trails leading to them.

I know the location of one large unpublicized, off-trail panel at Arches that has several “space men” glyphs; it does have a little-signed register and a sign saying something like “You’ve found something special, help protect it”.

If you are ever around Arches PM me.

Back