• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Dogs in Tents?

Back in February on this same thread I had made mention of tripping with my collie Storm and how I would miss him when he was gone. Well, today was the day of the sad event.

Hug those hounds folks. After now 16 years, I'm gonna miss him greatly.
Condolences KO, it’s a tough one when an old soul moves on.

Tough loss, sad day for all dog loving folks. I didn’t know Storm, but I knew from your earlier post that he was well loved & loved you. People with a dog in their life are blessed in many ways.

Stink sleeps with me in the canoe, its too cold out at night. In the discovery 119, what has worked best is two sleeping bags, he gets in the first one, then I get in the second and put him under my knees, so my legs are on him. Its warmer that way. He does add some condensation, so there will be more "snow" in the morning, but its fine. I'm 5'9 and 180 at the start, he usually starts heavy at around 75 pounds. But small space with a dog, should be no problem. The two of you will work it out.

Fascinating to me how long people and dogs have been doing these things together. We are made for it.

Thanks for your kind words - so many of us in the same boat from time to time. Here is his last trip - Site #4 Round Lake, ADK's

Attachments

• Storm.JPG
    Storm.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 8
The only thing wrong with dogs is they don't live long enough. The only solution to losing one is more dogs.
We can barely get by with 3. I am tempted all the time to get number 4 but it makes traveling and especially staying in a motel difficult.

Dogs are honest. They have Buddha nature. They teach me things every day. They live in the present with great enthusiasm. They are tough animals that are adapted to living with humans. They complain little and appreciate everything. Border Collies are very intuitive and sensitive dogs. They are a great comfort to me. Ruby Begonia can point fish from a boat.

I am without a dog now, after 24 years with the pack. We took one canoe camping trip with the two labs at Little Tupper, just paddled out to the first site on Round Lake. The dogs were excited and we thought they were going to capsize the canoe. When we broke camp, I paddle wife and dogs back to the road, then went back solo and recovered our gear. We dry land camped many times and Jeb went on a couple sailboat camp cruises. Once when we were leaving camp he jumped up on the forward deck and stood on the jib. No damage.

I have an army surplus poncho liner ("woobie") that worked well for dog bedding. That mostly gave good insulation. Of course they still wanted to snuggle, and once someone punctured my Therma-Rest. I wouldn't trade them for anything.

resized Pack.jpg

Last edited:
Back