• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Dogs. Especially canoe dogs

They are the calendar of my life. I often have dreams when they are all with me at the same time - it's both joyous and heartbreaking. I don't think I'll ever be without at least two.

Sorry for your loss. I know what my guy means to me and I’d be devastated. I will be. He’s reaching the end quickly. My dog is the wallpaper on my phone. My wife always complains it’s not her or one of our two kids. I always say the dog is always happy to see me when I get home and always greets me at the door. He is always willing to come with me wherever I go. And I can’t say the same about her or the kids.

Our relationships with our pets are unique. My life would be less complete without my dog. And less hairy.

Zoey will be 10 soon and she now needs a step to help her get into the car. We both have more gray hair and wrinkles than last year and we both limp occasionally. It got into the mid 50's today so I put the rack back on the vehicle and we made it out for a short paddle.
image.jpeg

OK !
I know Alan Gage, hasn't posted a pic of Sadie.

She's as deserving as any ,so I may have a few pics of her to share.

To me, and I'm sure to Alan, Sadie is a perfect size and temperament.! The fact she chased off a black bear on a portage trail up in Canada, says it all to me !

IMG_1044_zpspjogsqai.jpg

IMG_1044_zpspjogsqai.jpg

IMG_1044_zpspjogsqai.jpg

Seeing how lightweight Sadie looks, my first thought is how my next dog should be quite a bit smaller than the 100# lab I paddle around with now. Then I think about how devastated I will be when Boomer does leave this world. I've lost a few good dogs but never one that I was as close with as this one.

20170814_064007 (2).jpg

I am so sorry for your loss, Doug.

Lot's of sniffles and smiles from this post.
For any of you with older dogs who seem to be suffering with stiff joints maybe give Glucosamine tablets a try. We started one a day on Holly after she had a month or two of problems following hiking trips, may just be coincidence but she has greatly improved. Should really try it myself!

Our Brittany Libby loves the water and is always 1st into the canoe. She's seldom as placid as in this photo however. She normally has 2 front feet on the gunwales, one side or the other, heeling the boat whether we need it or not.
We're very sorry for your loss Doug.

Attachments

• photo14354.jpg
    photo14354.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 0
Sorry for Doug's lost.

I've had a few canoe dogs over the many years in the bush. They can be a tight squeeze in small solo boats like an Argosy so I train them to stay down in front of me where I can control them.

fiocanoe.jpg

Gerald

Attachments

• P8260002.JPG
    P8260002.JPG
    335.7 KB · Views: 0
I'll admit to not being a big dog fan... they take a LOT of work to raise right, and I never had the time or energy to do both kids and a dog. Enter Pete.

We moved to LA in 2002 (I in April, my wife and kids end of May), and met a family who owned a dog named Pete. Pete's age was unknown, but he was found in a ditch, covered with red ants, in around May of 2002, right about the time we arrived... he was likely a Lab/Blue Heeler mix. That family had two boys who were in my daughters' grades, 4 years apart, with the oldest actually both being Christmas babies 2 days apart. I met Pete in the course of things and mentioned to the mom that if I had to have a dog, I'd want him to be like Pete...

Fast forward to May, 2008... the kids are in 7th and 11th grade and mom dies of cancer (the boys biological father, a state trooper, having been killed in the line of duty in 1995). Step-dad is devastated, but they survive... Fast forward to April, 2009... kids are now in 8th and 12th grades... I get a call from my wife at work. Their stepdad, the man who helped me build the stitch and glue canoe below (in 2007), has died of a massive heart attack... Grandmother comes to stay with them through the end of the school year (May in LA, so about 6 weeks). Their aunt will go on to take in the youngest, but will not take the dog. Oldest is going to college and can't take the dog... so guess what... Pete became my daughter's dog, and we had him for 8 years... he passed away in the summer of 2017, likely from an infection related to a tumor.

He was mostly pretty good; knew all the trick commands and obeyed them... never jumped on you. you could take food out of his mouth even after he'd started chewing it. he never met anyone he didn't like. I could let him off leash in the woods, and he'd generally stay just in front of me, but would come, stop, or go on command... except when he got a nose full of coon... i could even call him off deer he jumped... but he got entirely stupid with a nose full of coon scent. He would also sit pretty still in a canoe, though i didn't really have enough time to work with him on that as much as I would have liked. He definitely liked to go outside.

So, here's Pete shortly after we got him, probably around 2009, enjoying a cruise.
Toria and Pete-Bundick Lake 6 Jun 09 002.jpg

And here he is out hiking, slightly different time-frame (my daughter liked that shirt for some reason).
Kisatchie 30 May 09 Toria and Pete.jpg

So, fast forward to 2020... Pete's been gone a little while, but is fondly remembered. My daughter is now 25... and the young man who was her classmate? Well, after 18 years, they finally decided they like each other a little more than friends, and are cautiously working toward some sort of relationship (she's in NY, he's still in LA)... they always did things their own way, even as kids... we'll see how this one turns out, but I may have another son in law soon... (His older brother's doing fine too).

I don't have any pics of my canoe dogs, but I've had 2 out of 3 in the past 40 years.

My Mini Schnauzer wouldn't let me leave the shore without him in the boat. If I didn't take him with me, he would follow along the shore until I stopped and picked him up. he even swam after me a few times. He was a little wild in the boat, protected us from everything he saw. We said goodbye after 14 1/2 years. I still miss him.

The next summer, I got my Welsh Terrier, Morgan, at 10 weeks old. He started riding in the canoe a couple of weeks later and was very well behaved. As soon as he saw me walking toward the water, he was in the boat. Lots of good memories with him as a passenger. In the fall of his 14th year, he crossed the rainbow bridge.

I adopted a Soft coated Wheaten the next spring. She was 3 years old when I got her. Great dog, but doesn't like to be in a canoe. I've put her in the boat several times over the last 10 years, but she likes the firm footing of land.

Love a canoe, love dogs. Sometimes they mix, others, not.

Some pics of a couple of nice canoe dogs. The first two are from a Maine canoe trip with my good friend (and member here, Fitz) John Fitzgerald and his son Brendan with their well behaved Lab, second is John's friend with his son and another wonderful canoe dog.

17' Chestnut Prospector
DSC01239_zps80e6c64d.jpg
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

18' Chestnut Prospector

DSC01237_zpsef74b9e3.jpg

DSC01260_zpseb76ed53.jpg

Last edited:
Very sorry to hear of your loss, Doug. Dogs are very special companions.
This thread has some terrific pictures and stories; I'd like to add my contribution.

We've always had dogs around since I was a kid but for the last dozen years we've been fostering and giving home to retired racing Greyhounds. My wifes idea not mine; I was convinced they were too much work, too high strung, needed lots of exercise, etc. Hah! Nothing could be further from the truth: they are large, lazy, affectionate lap dogs! They do love to run, but they are sprinters not marathon runners so a quick blast around the yard or a field and they are done for hours.

To the canoeing angle.
Though every other dog we've had we've taken camping and on canoe trips for some reason we were hesitant to try the Greyhounds. For a start they take up a lot of room! And we were not sure how comfortable they would be for hours on the ribs of the canoe- I'm a cedar chestnut guy...

I don't remember the reason but my wife and I finally said lets give it a shot with the dog in the canoe so we took our Greyhound "Chestnut" ( yeah both canoe and dog share the same naming convention!) with us for a day paddle at Elk Island National Park. Late Spring paddle, lots of Bison, muskrat, ducks, pelicans, and beaver around- what could possibly go wrong?
We need not have worried- Chestnut climbed into the canoe without any encouragement and was incredibly content to be paddled around Astotin Lake all afternoon!

IMG_0745.JPG

Since then I can't even start loading the canoe and gear before he gets to the door, his tail wagging. And its not just placid lakes or rivers he's "paddled"

Discover Your River 2019.jpg
After Running Class II in my Chestnut Pal, Athabasca River June 2019.

BTW if anyone needs a line on a Greyhound or two...

Cheers! Bruce

Back